localize your games , OS 3.0 soon

Discussion in 'Developer Services and Trade' started by gfather, May 18, 2009.

1. gfather

gfather Member

Mar 30, 2009
    #1 gfather, May 18, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2009
    Hello everyone

*Updated , last chance to be one of the first to release your game localized in Arabic

With the release date (June 17th) for iPhone new OS and having Arabic support with it

its best advised to localize your games now , so your games be the first Arabic localized on itunes , and that you get maximum profit from it

you will get your game localized and get the best marketing on the Arabic websites , with zero risk on your side

for any more info just ask here or email us on [email protected]

www.Soulit-Games.info

2. JavierDavalos

JavierDavalos Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2009
    I really don't believe localizing is such a big deal. Only if you are aiming for young audiences really.

Being from Argentina myself, i guarantee you if you are making a videogame, all gamers are already used to english games and most of them understand the language.

3. Kultist

Kultist Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Respect and choice

While I do agree with JavierDavalos that most users understand English, I think it's still better to have your apps localized in as many languages as possible. This shows respect to users of other languages and having the choice to use an app in your own language is always a plus.

4. Spotlight

Spotlight Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2009
    Javier, totally wrong. :)

You can't even imagine how many Japanese users don't purchase a game because it's not in Japanese, for example.

The App Store proves that the biggest markets are US and English speaking countries, but... try to sell Imangi in China. :)

5. Eric5h5

Eric5h5 Well-Known Member

Just the app store description being translated helps a lot, at least for some languages. For me, Japan is now the #2 country for sales after the U.S. Realmaze3D is in the top 100 apps there, and it wasn't even featured in staff favorites in that store, so I think it must be the Japanese description; before that, it was getting 2-3 sales/day. Although interestingly, I've seen screenshots of videogames that were never released outside Japan, and they frequently have English words mixed in here and there. ("Score", "game over", etc.)

--Eric

6. JavierDavalos

JavierDavalos Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2009
    Interesting, how did you get it translated?

7. Spotlight

Spotlight Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2009

Yes, same here. We translated both game and the description (with DYS traslation) and after that our sales increased like 300% in Japan, for example. But not only in Japan. That's what I meant before, there is a reason for translating games into other languages and, here in Spain, belive it or not, I ofter read user comments like "oh...ok, it's great but im quite disappointed they didn't translate it".

TouchArcade in Spanish would be interesting for this reason:
    Spanish users prefer to read a Spanish website rather than Touch Arcade.
    If someone translates TA in a proper way, than it gets bigger.

Thing about Gizmodo. Why do they do that? :)

8. Eric5h5

Eric5h5 Well-Known Member

DYS for Japanese; they also did Italian and Dutch though I didn't get much results from those. SMN on the forums here did French, which did have good results; France is #4 for sales after the UK for me. A friend of mine did Spanish, which didn't do much for Spain, but helped in other Spanish-speaking countries. Granted being in the top 100 in a lot of these South American countries means 1-3 sales/day, but hey, it adds up. :) Considering I was getting pretty much 0 sales there before.

--Eric

9. nattylux

nattylux Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Washington, DC
    :)

Yeah, unfortunately Imangi is impossible in Chinese, since the language is character based, not letter based. Word games are tougher to localize in general, for the obvious reason. We haven't even bothered to localize Word Squares yet because it would just take too long.

However, localizing with DYS has been one of the best investments we've made. Imangi was huge in Italy for a while, which more than paid off on the investment.

I still want to localize Imangi into Japanese at some point. If any Japanese speaking Imangi fan wants to help, let us know! :D

10. gfather

gfather Member

Mar 30, 2009
    that's what are we saying , you will get a great boost in sales and profit whether it was localized in Japanese , Italian , Spanish or Arabic

Arabic gamers are no different , they want to play games in their native language so thy can understand the game

Arabic gamers are so similar to Japanese one , because Arabic is like Japanese language , its totally different than English , some European may not mind playing games in English but not Arabs and Japanese , because the difference in the language and understanding the game is totally lost if it was not localized

and as i said we have a great localization and marketing policy that will be zero risk on the developer , and all the risk on us , and that the developer wont have to pay anything

11. John

John Well-Known Member

May 14, 2009
    If anyone needs translations for German to expand your sales in Germany, Austria, Switzerland and some others, pm me and I can help you with that.

I see where it is coming from with japanese. A lot of people just want to know what the game is about in their own language.

12. gfather

gfather Member

Mar 30, 2009
    topic has been updated