Universal Local Paperboy Grows Up! "Ding Dong Delivery" Coming Soon...

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by SecretBox, Apr 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cbos0503

cbos0503 Well-Known Member

May 9, 2015
    Thanks for the beta invite. I get some graphical glitches in the top-right and sometimes top-left of my screen. iPhone 6. I grew up in the NES days a paperboy was favorite. I like the style of your game- different vehicles, sceneries, etc. I don't care for the way the paper (pizza, etc.) works. I find myself pretty much spamming the left side of the screen and just trying to go as far as I can through traffic. The pizza going through a vehicle and breaking a window just doesn't seem right. Didn't the original paperboy have a limited number of papers, so you couldn't just spam the "throw paper" button. Maybe each stage should be a number of successfully delivered goods instead of just going a distance. And you restock your goods each stage or something. That way the game is more about actually delivering the goods rather than just spamming the goods. With just being able to spam throwing the goods the game becomes more like an endless runner (or driver) and less like paperboy. In my opinion, this would be much better if the number of completed deliveries was tied to the success of the run. Could give bonuses for consecutive deliveries, etc. I was super excited to see a crossy road/paperboy mashup. But am a little disappointed in how the game plays and what the goals are. The style is very nice (except the spinning a lot animation for unlocking new vehicles. I don't really care for that.), it just doesn't have enough of what paperboy was.

Just my 2 cents.

2. Cccee

Cccee Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    I never played Paperboy but I like your ideas. The ideas about delivering the pizzas, etc. would alleviate my confusion Asti scoring and would also add more challenge to the game.

Good ideas!

3. Cccee

Cccee Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    P.S. Maybe the endless pizza "spamming" as described above could be a sort of Endless Mode. And adding limited available ammo could be a 2nd more challenging Arcade Mode. A time component could also be made available.

4. SecretBox

SecretBox Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2014
    Thanks

Great feedback ideas so far.
    Based on feedback we have discussed / changed the following:

1) The score system needs explaining better. In the original paperboy a house was either a customer or non-customer. You got + points for breaking non-customer houses windows, but lost points breaking customers windows.
    In our game if a house is grey its a non-customer (There will be no-one waiting for food) so you can break the windows.
    To stop the spamming we thought if you break your customers windows you lose score shown as red font.

2) Found and fixed the vehicle roof food sign not changing when you select Chinese or Indian.

3) Reduced the annoying skid sound when changing lanes.

4) Added different road types for each vehicle

5. SecretBox

Nov 8, 2014
    #25 SecretBox, Apr 14, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
    Fire!

New Fire station added along with building on fire and a cat to rescue in a tree...

What do you guys think of our first pass game Icon?

Attached Files:

6. cbos0503

cbos0503 Well-Known Member

May 9, 2015
    Looks good #

7. kripa1415`

kripa1415` Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2012
    this game looks so cool ! Can't wait to play it

8. SecretBox

Nov 8, 2014
    Zombies!

Got the Zombies in! It was a nightmare...

Attached Files:

9. SecretBox

Nov 8, 2014
    Army Zone

Started the Army Zone...

Wonder what happens if a Pizza hits that missile launcher?

Attached Files:

10. ipad2gamer

ipad2gamer New Member

Mar 10, 2012
    Thoughts so far....

I really like this so far. Graphics are superb, as is the music and I love the different vehicles to try out..

I think it needs a little more though you know ? Maybe some missions ( like one of the iOS paperboy game had ). You could also think about maybe having 3 lanes ( in paperboy you could ride on the sidewalk ) or maybe even houses on the other side of the road ?

Get this right and big things could follow......as crossy road is now in the arcades too :) :)

11. SecretBox

Nov 8, 2014
    1st Promo Graphic, What do you think???

promo6LessMem.jpg

12. jati

jati Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 5, 2013
    One bug: I go into the cars menu, I tap the "restore cars" button, I cancel and after that all the cars in the menu are invisible. iPhone 6, latest iOS.

Idea: After the player decides to pay 100 coins to continue there should be a tiny period of invincibility. Maybe shown by letting the car flash or something. And/or a short countdown before it continues would be nice. Sometimes I choose to continue and immediately crash into the next car before I really could react.

13. SecretBox

Nov 8, 2014
    Latest Version Ready

Added Test Drive – Try all vehicles once, before you buy.
    Bonus Area Park scenery – Knock down all trees.
    Spin Reel – bug fix
    Latest bug fixes etc
    New scenery Banner gfx.

Halved the amount of texture memory for running the game, and amount of memory on device lower.

14. Darkbandit

Darkbandit New Member

Apr 14, 2016
  15. SecretBox

Nov 8, 2014
  16. SecretBox

Nov 8, 2014
    Next up Ramps!

Paperboy used to have ramps.

DDD now has...

Hit the taller targets for extra points.

Attached Files:

17. JoshW

JoshW Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Ooh, ramps! Great addition! Can't wait to try this part.

18. SecretBox

Nov 8, 2014
    To be beside the sea side, beside the sea...

Smell the sea air...

Attached Files:

19. Cccee

Cccee Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Cool theme. I like this. I can envision sea creatures popping out of the water to attack a la Jaws.