Universal Local Paperboy Grows Up! "Ding Dong Delivery" Coming Soon...

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by SecretBox, Apr 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SecretBox

SecretBox Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2014
    #1 SecretBox, Apr 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2016

Ding Dong Delivery is aiming to do for Paperboy what Crossy Road did for Frogger.

Coming soon on iOS, Android & PC.

Sign up here to join the Beta TestFlight Review Team. Just comment with your email address.

2. hvianna

hvianna Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2012
    Male
    IT Analyst / Webmaster
    Brazil
    Cool! I sent a PM with my email!

3. jmonett

jmonett Active Member

Jul 27, 2015
    #3 jmonett, Apr 7, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
    I would love to beta test

4. Kimchisoju

Kimchisoju Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2015
    Male
    Caregiver
  5. SecretBox

Nov 8, 2014
    Beta Testers get All Vehicles to play

Forgot to say Beta Testers get all Vehicles to play with.
    All IAP for free!

Attached Files:

6. rezn

rezn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Mar 8, 2014
    Male
    Coder/Keyer in medical ICD 10
    Reno, NV
    Awesome. Looks like a fun game. Paperboy was a childhood favorite of mine.

I PM'd my TestFlight email. :)

7. cbos0503

cbos0503 Well-Known Member

May 9, 2015
    I sent a PM as well.

8. dd666

dd666 Member

Oct 24, 2009
    Australia
    Pm sent

9. JoshW

JoshW Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Sent a PM w/my email. This game looks incedibly fun! Very excited to help test it.

10. novianbuyung

novianbuyung Member

Sep 19, 2015
  11. JoshW

JoshW Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2010
    #11 JoshW, Apr 9, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
    Initial thoughts:

Awesome, awesome game! Incredibly fun with delightful graphics!

It took me a couple minutes to get used to the controls - at first I wasn't sure I liked them but once I realised I could knock the other vehicles out of the way if I timed it just right, I totally got into it.

And of course, I immediately went for the Pizza Delivery Tank! So fun! It would be great if different vehicles had slightly different abilities (for example, the tank could shoot blasts sporadically.) Not sure if you have something like this planned.

Also, when I selected the Boat, I loved that the road turned into a river! Brilliant. (Though I would suggest you add more variety of boats to the ones that are on the river.)

That there are so many vehicles to choose from is hugely appealing. I also would hope there are a number of different background places planned (Love the river! When it's the river, you could also possibly change up some of the buildings - to lighthouses, bait shops, tropical islands, etc.)

This is the type of game I will continually keep playing and it also feels like there are probably some fun things to discover along the way.

I loved Paperboy as a kid and this feels like the totally modern equivalent.

I will keep playing & reporting but I want to tell you you've created a wonderful game that could easily become one of my favorites!

12. SecretBox

Nov 8, 2014
    Thank you Josh!
    That's a big help as we are considering and adding the final pieces to this game.
    The main work still to do matches what you suggest which is good to know. i.e. each vehicle will have its own effect, and there are lots more scenery and hidden extras to add.

Still not decided on the Icon design if anyone has any ideas???

13. Cccee

Cccee Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Thanks for the opportunity to Beta test! I just downloaded it so these are first impressions.

I'm not too clear asto how the delivery of items adds or subtracts from your score. I am assuming when you don't crash into another vehicle that adds to your score. I'll keep playing and I am sure I'll figure it out.

The controls....at first I wasn't sure. Most similar games have you tap left to go left and tap right to go right. I had a few accidents at first, but now I like your method and clicking right always to change lanes has become very intuitive. I like it!! Again, though, not sure what the deliveries do.

I love all the different vehicles. I like the boat! One issue, when I try to select the soup delivery, it always comes up as pizza.

So far, it looks like a fun game with great replay ability!

14. Cccee

Cccee Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Ooops. Never mind what I said in the last post about deliveries. It's a shooter! Very cool!!!!

15. SecretBox

Nov 8, 2014
    Big Thanks for Beta Testing so far.

Thanks for testing Cccee! Much appreciated.

A new version is being uploaded to Apple as I type this.

Includes some new look roads for each vehicle.
    Reduced the annoying skid sound.
    Night time with headlights at random times all vehicles and always night on the cop, swat, taxi

Attached Files:

16. Cccee

Cccee Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    It's a very cool and addictive game! I just noticed that the time of day changed from time to time. Nice touch!

What was confusing me, above, was that even when you're shooting chilies or noodles, some of the time there is still a pizza on top of your vehicle.

Re: the icon, I was wondering if an image of a more block-style car would be more suitable, to fit the game graphics. Just a thought. Or something with a pizza.

I keep finding surprises in the game, like 3 gigantic cats blocking the road. LOL

Just wondering though. Which is the Ding Dong Boss? It's listed in the Game Center Leaderboard.

17. JohnnyClash

JohnnyClash Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2016
    Looks great..

thebarefootwolf at gmail dotcom

18. jati

jati Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 5, 2013
    Thanks for adding me to the Beta! I really like the basic idea of the game as well as the graphic style. It's also pretty fun to wreck the other cars and trucks – especially to topple them over with a Pizza slice bombardment :)

Some initial thoughts after my first rounds of playing:

It's not clear to me if I'm supposed to be careful with my "deliveries". I scored my most points by staying in the right lane as much as possible and just tapping away on the left side of the screen. I can see that there seems to be "green points" and "red points" and I might also have seen points subtracted but I'm not sure. So I think there's some explanation missing if I'm not supposed to play the game in the described way :)

Some animations are pretty wacky. It happens every now and then, that my own car almost falls on its side. I even drove a while on one (!) of the back wheels – the car was pointing upwards. I'm not sure if that's meant as over-the-top animation or a glitch :) There are also cars and trucks in the streets that are already lying on their sides.

The German translation is not very good and in parts confusing. I switched it back to English. I'm not sure if you want to use it. In my personal opinion: No translation is better than a bad one. But that's just me.

19. Cccee

Cccee Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    I agree with Jari's comments. I do think the scoring system could be made clearer. Do you get more points by passing vehicles on the road or by shooting at things? And if it's the shooting, do you need to knock over something with your chili or noodle or pizza in order to score points? Or is just hitting something adequate?

Hope you'll be adding other ammo other than pizza, chili, and noodles eventually. Having different types of ammo could be fun.

20. JoshW

JoshW Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2010
    #20 JoshW, Apr 13, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
    Love the new nighttime colors. It would be cool if it weren't just for specific vehicles but rather, once you pass a certain number of stages (like 10), you can drive from day into night. And then add some nighttime stuff in the background, like partiers out late for the evening, etc. I think the more variety you can give as you progress across stages, the more fun it will be (and it's already loads of fun.) In other words, the more new stuff you see and different stages you go through as you progress, the better.

I also noticed what people mentioned above: for some of the larger vehicles like the combine and the log truck, the driving animation goes weird and the vehicles sometimes drive on their side.

I really laughed at the three cats animation but at first, I had no idea what was happening!