Little known games.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Human X, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Human X

Human X Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2012
    Gamer
    Australia
    I thought I would start a thread for people to share games that they enjoy and feel need more recognition. I know that there are games in the app store that are incredible but only a select few know about. I am not a dev, I just feel that some games are more deserving of places on the top charts than Temple Run and it's ilk.

One of my favourite games at the moment is Gua-Le-Ni. It has incredible art and music and involves rotating cubes with animal parts to match animals that walk across the screen. It is currently 99c.

2. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Knighturn - turn based strategy
    Fall of Angels - jrpg
    Henry & the Psiomic Overlords - rpg / board game
    Ninja Dino Showdown?! - side scrolling tower defense
    Knights of the Phantom Castle - real time strategy (Battleheart's grandfather)
    Legion of the Damed - turn based strategy
    Sword & Earrings (Sw&Ear) - turn nased strategy

3. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    PDA Games - Brilliant platformer, tons of levels, retro style graphics, very playable, love it

Storm in a teacup - I often go on about this game, its a great looking platformer with a lot of levels and variety, huge fan of this game.

4. Meccanismo_25

Meccanismo_25 Member

Dec 24, 2011
    #4 Meccanismo_25, Jul 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
    Human X, I play Gua-Le-Ni too. :D
    What's your NON-FICTION score?

Does it pay to size beasts down to feed them butts or do you stick stably to four-module-beasts as long as you can?

5. Jibba

Jibba Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Alphabetic. Very fun timed hidden object (letters) game. I don't really like hidden object games but this one is very unique and challenging.

6. Codycat

Codycat Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Don't stalk me.
    I swear that we get a thread like this every other week...but anyways:
    Trism by demiforce - Amazing Match 3 game

7. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Miss Claire Garden
    Miss Claire Garden
    Miss Claire Garden

It's one of the BEST platformers on iOS, and it's HUGELY underrated. If you don't have it and you love platformers, go freakin' get it!

8. Shaban

Shaban Active Member

Jun 26, 2012
    Game developper
    Geneva
    I would say Grooh, was a little bit under the radar but it's nicely done !

9. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Yep great shout, should have mentioned this one myself. This game needs way more love !

10. Darth Ronfar

Darth Ronfar Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Animal related
    LA
    Check out my thread, top 5 hidden gems for alot of good(though kinda old) ones...

11. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Link?

12. Tannorexic

Tannorexic Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Student
    Somewhere in the spiritual realm
    #12 Tannorexic, Jul 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
    Mine are all puzzle games:

I agree with grooh,
    Also:
    Qink (similar set up as zen bound, rotate a 3d shape, and add colored paper to the folds to make the same cube that's displayed in the top corner, gets challenging in the later levels)
    Frankenword (new word game that's hidden at the moment but I think it'll be known soonish it's free too)
    Tractor trails (sort of like a maze game, but more puzzle-ey, casual and fun)
    Wriggle (one of my favorites of all time- unique concept and extremely addictive, rearrange the worms so the blue worm can acess the exit. Plays much cunner than it sounds - try the lite)
    Zen puzzle garden - you have to make sure the entire sand garden has been raked but you cannot cross over previously raked paths or get stuck in a corner or against a rock.)
    Droopy blocks- (unique concept- kinda like a puzzleish twister, a jelly block appears and you have to transform it's shape into the correct one by using vacuums on each side of the screen, very fun and real time)
    Puzzle of the dead- people compare it to the lolo game for nintendo, sort of similar to sokoban puzzles, but better and contains more items like water and stepping stones, enemies, boss fights, etc)
    Happy stretch (kind of a colorbind clone, but it's still very fun to play, more simplified version of colorbind FREE)
    Twingo (one of my favorite games of all time, shame it hasn't been updated. when you control one guy, his twin follows suit, you must get the two twins to the exit while not falling off any ledges)
    Penguin patrol (very awesome free puzzle game that had me hooked for hours, basically those games where once you stand on a tile, that tile breaks/disappears, but much more in depth and polished, and much more to do, like saving different types of penguins that require different strategies. FREE)
    Drag the rope- kinda like those games where you have to draw a shape without lifting the pen.. But with rope, and more fun!)
    Chute- there's a similar game called ant bowling on another platform (PC or nintendo?) it's basically a bunch of dominoes that you have to knock over using logic, you have a bunch of different dominoes to choose from that do different things, you have to work out where to put each domino to make them all fall correctly)
    Toast the chicken-you have to set a fire somewhere on the tile grid, then each step you take the fire spreads an extra tile, the fire keeps spreading until the chicken/s get "toasted" or, subsequently, you get fired)
    Bobby carrot forever (quite a popular series back in the day..its a really beautiful setting.. The graphics are absolutely gorgeous and retro like nintendo, like the good old days, then basically you wonder around (like a platformer) and you have to collect all the carrots,then get to the warp gate to get to the next level, of course things aremt that easy, the carrots can often be quite hard to get, you have to use tractors to run over speed gates to crash and break rocks, you have to change currents of the water then ride on a Lilly pad to get across to an island to get some carrots, you have to manipulate fans to blown the clouds in certain directions so you can walk over them, etc)
    Chubby bunny- another walk on a tile to make it break type game, like penguin patrol, a more simplified version.
    Colorbind (one of the most unique and clever games I've ever played, there's a lite version, basically there's a bunch of colored ribbons, then there's a bunch of colored dots, you must get each colored ribbon to each colored dot, so the ribbons all weave around each other in a beautiful, art like fashion. Ribbons can over lap, but onky once, and only if they cross over like a + sign. Really a wonderful game. I am still in awe at it's beauty and uniqueness.
    Joining hands- another one of my favorites, basically there is a board with spaces, each space can hold one monster, you have to move the monsters around in a fashion so they will all hold hands, each monster has different hands, the basic green peablin is the easiest to make hold hands as his hands rotate around by themselves to grab any hand within one space, but the other guys aren't so helpful, some are emos and refuse to hood anyone's hand, they must be 2 spaces away from everyone else, octopuses have clicks and will onky hold hands with other octopi, yellow guys will only put their hands in a locked direction, etc)
    Had alot of enjoyment playing this one. I think it's definitely in my top 3 favorites.

Some of these got some press when they were fist released: ie twingo, joining hands, and colorbind, etc
    But a few weeks after release, it almost seems like they drop off the face of the AppStore never to be seen again..slowly declining their way off the charts, and then sucked up into a black hole.
    It makes me sad to see this happen so much, it really disappoints me that apple don't have some sort of hall of fame for actual good games.
    I wish apple would make a quality controlled area of the AppStore, like "all time featured puzzle games" (and other catorgories too) where you'll find every puzzle game that's every been featured, hence good quality, and they'd get alot more sales and revenue too.if all these good games could actually be found, other than the search engine) then maybe they would have a better shot at success.. The casual crowd don't often browse forums or review sites, so once a game is off the charts or featured lists, its basically invisible.

The games I listed are all top quality, highly polished, extremely fun games that probably didn't even make their production costs back in revenue.

13. Human X

Jul 6, 2012
    Gamer
    Australia
    My best non-fiction score is 1,982 and I'm 16th on the GC leaderboard. I can't believe I found another Gua-Le-Nier:) There are only 165 of us left in the wild. I usually stay with four-module beasts as they get me the most points, but when they get too fast, I usually shrink them back to three modules and feed them butts when I am ready to mutate back to four modules. It just depends on how fast you want the game to go.

14. Human X

Jul 6, 2012
    Gamer
    Australia
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions. It will take me a long time to play through them all. Tannorexic, I have downloaded Colorbind along with a few others and they are great. It's good that these games are finally getting some publicity.

15. Meccanismo_25

Meccanismo_25 Member

Dec 24, 2011
    Ah, I am around 15k at the moment.
    I am not sure if we are talking about feeding butts in the same terms, especially seeing your score. Maybe you're thinking of the alien gunk?
    I like the game a lot, full of little secrets.

16. Human X

Jul 6, 2012
    Gamer
    Australia
    I mean that after I feed them the alien gunk, I feed them their butts to increase their score (30% more for each beast). And yes, I agree, it is an incredible game.