Little Big Planet Paper Mario inspired 2.5 platformer for fall - Video

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by robotsvswizards.com, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Outkast1

Outkast1 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2009
    California
    Looks like a lot of fun! I'll be keeping an eye out for this one. Please don't be pressured to release the game too early, take your time and add all the polish you can :)

2. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    This looks like fun. Can we make own levels?

3. robotsvswizards.com

robotsvswizards.com Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2010
    Game Development, Music
    CA, USA
    #23 robotsvswizards.com, Oct 4, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2010
    No, although that would be pretty fun.
    To really work people would have to be able to share them which isn't completely impossible. It would be quite a feat on the iPhone though.

With such high competition and iPhones low price point it would also be huge risk. iPhone is a tough market and it's not uncommon to lose thousands on a "hit". Even developers with a top ten hit aren't exactly retiring yet. Not to say some arent doing just fine though lol

Sorry to digress....... We have invested a ton in this game though so as long as it sells decently, we are prepared to really support it long term and watch it grow. I won't rule out level creation. :)

4. nikhsterboi

nikhsterboi Well-Known Member

This looks great!

5. pgboy

pgboy Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2010
    When will beta testing begin I would like to sign up for this game it looks quite interesting and fun. Whenever you are ready I will send my info in a pm to beta test, that is if I could

I have iOS 4.1.0 iPod touch 4th gen

6. robotsvswizards.com

Mar 29, 2010
    Game Development, Music
    CA, USA
    looking at some beta testing in the next couple weeks.

7. pgboy

pgboy Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2010
    Could I send my info?

8. wikoogle

wikoogle Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    #28 wikoogle, Oct 5, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2010
    Looks awesome. Making it slightly faster wouldn't hurt.

But the main thing, please make the main character look better. The environments look great, but the main character has zero visual appeal, he just looks boring and ugly.

Consider how awesome characters like Donkey Kong, Yoshi, Kirby, Mario etc look, please make the main character look like that.

Update: Just went back and read that the main character will indeed get spruced up, and will have cool mechanics like paper airplane. Sounds AWEOME :) Can't wait.

9. robotsvswizards.com

Mar 29, 2010
    Game Development, Music
    CA, USA
    Thanks!

Yes, character spunk does depend on how he is equipped.

He is kind of bland with nothing on.
    Also the video is pretty bare bones too. Most of the objects didn't have textures and the character was not animated yet (just a simple A B sprite). I really need to update the youtubage!
    as you can see in the screens things are a little more textured now.
    :)

10. doodlejumper

doodlejumper Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Stuck in traffic
    I'd love it if this was made hand in hand with an endless running game with the same character but in a 2d world. :)

11. walsh06

walsh06 Well-Known Member

How is it a feat. It's been done before.

12. robotsvswizards.com

Mar 29, 2010
    Game Development, Music
    CA, USA
    How funny you mention that. There is a back story to paper monsters and this long story does lead to your suggestion.
    The main character in PM is from one of the crappiest games we ever made.
    "Doodle Monster" The game blows but a lot of people liked the monster.
    However in our defense there wasn't a flood of doodle games in the app store (less than five at the time) and it was actually rated and reviewed ok at the time.
    But, looking back It's almost embarrassing. Since it's had around a million downloads and some people like it we didn't delete it. Instead it is getting a makeover to support paper monsters similar to what you mentioned. It will not have anywhere near the level of gameplay you'll find in Paper monsters but it will be simple and fun and run pretty smooth. It will also have GameCenter. The graphics will be part based off the original Doodle Monster game and part from one level from Paper Monsters. I realize endless endurance games are somewhat played out but the original doodle monsters was in that genre forever ago. I wouldn't rush out and download it now though or you will be very disappointed lol

Like I said it's not impossible but it is a feat none the less. The online asset management involved in a game this complex would be the toughest part.

It would just add a whole aspect to the game that would almost make a new beast to design. We're just not set up to invest what could easily be thousands of hours (money) into it. A lot of folks just don't realize that hours in a game and with something like that we would easily need at least one more programmer. We really just want to focus on the main gameplay for now. As many programmers know it is easy to watch a hundred hours disappear on what is only 10 seconds of a boss fight in a game lol

I guess a good comparison of level creation AND sharing would be creating a killer RPG vs making it into an MMORPG.

Of course there are amazing games like Pocket legends but if managing all that was so easy Gameloft would already have "World of War Orcs" or something like that!

Now adding in game level creation without sharing would be a whole different story.

Also, like i said, if the game takes off and i Hope it will who knows where it will be 6 months form now. If it sells a million copies i would invest every penny into making it even better.

13. pgboy

pgboy Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2010
    I keep following this hoping that you will say betas are open but your not and I get so sad lol. I really want to test this and help make it better. Even the rough draft bid looks pretty good! I am just really excited for this. One of my most anticipated of the year

14. robotsvswizards.com

Mar 29, 2010
    Game Development, Music
    CA, USA
    At least two weeks before we Have a beta build.
    Please pm me your email address.

And did you really have to quote all that lol
    I can't even believe i typed all that.
    Thanks

15. pgboy

pgboy Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2010
    Lol and yes I did. Without the quote I am nothing!!!!! NOTHING

Back to the subject though do you also want my UDID?

16. pgboy

pgboy Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2010
    Why do you want just my email?

17. doodlejumper

Jan 27, 2010
    Stuck in traffic
    Well endless run games are very popular right now and I think it'd sell well. I'd definitely buy. :)

18. robotsvswizards.com

Mar 29, 2010
    Game Development, Music
    CA, USA

Thanks.
    The overhaul is in the approval process right now which has been taking well over a week lately.

Also it will remain free since the original doodle monster was free.

I'll make a post once it's approved.

19. doodlejumper

Jan 27, 2010
    Stuck in traffic
    I was talking about if you made an endless run game out of this in a 2d world to accompany this game.

20. robotsvswizards.com

Mar 29, 2010
    Game Development, Music
    CA, USA
    #40 robotsvswizards.com, Oct 6, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
    No, thats exactly it lol

The only difference is instead of a new game we completely overhauled an old game(the old game on which one of the new main characters in Paper Monsters is based).

We took the graphics from a level in Paper Monsters and made the old game into a running game in 2d but still rendered in 3d. :eek:

It wont exactly accompany it but, it (the overhauled old game) will be out ahead of Paper Mosnters and is related to it. I suppose it would be easy to include it as an unlockable in Paper Monsters as well though!