iPad Lites

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by sjleworthy, Feb 26, 2009.

?

are Lites good?

1. Absolutely, it helps me decide

43 vote(s)
    78.2%
  2. yes, anything free is good

8 vote(s)
    14.5%
  3. not bothered, no opinion

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  4. no, pointless.

3 vote(s)
    5.5%
  1. sjleworthy

sjleworthy Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    3D & Architectural Artist
    Cardiff, Wales, UK
    #1 sjleworthy, Feb 26, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
    (thread also aimed at developers)

I love Lite versions. As we know, what a great way to sell an app or game. I love buying apps, but will only spend money on what i'm sure of. which is where the lites come in.

Personally i'm happy to d/l the free lite and upgrade if i get excited. recent example being I Love Katamari. It's too expensive to take a flyer on and i've never known what it was like until the lite version came out recently. Now i'm happy to buy the full version. Likewise, now i can definately confirm i wont be buying Rolando because of the Lite. But at least now i know what it's all about.
    And of course, some lites are enough to keep me happy on their own.

But back on the selling side, i really wish more developers would release lites, even if it means upping the full game a tad. Games like Sway, Hell's Kitchen, Zen Bound etc etc - i'd be more than happy to buy them if there were tasters of them first. This would mean more to me than selling your app at a cheaper rate.

Come on devs, more lites please, there's so much crap out there whether it be cheap or expensive. Help us decide :)

2. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    #2 Isilel, Feb 26, 2009
    Couldn't agree more. It was the same with me and PuzzleQuest - downloaded the Lite, played it, loved it, got the full version, adore it :). IMHO, particularly the more expensive games should definitely offer a Lite version, as the impulse buys are less likely for them.

I am a one game at a time player, but I have a few possibilities lined up for after I beat/get enough of PQ, and with one exception (which at least has a PC demo, which I tried), they all have Lites.

3. PSD

PSD Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Disabled
    Connecticut
    #3 PSD, Feb 26, 2009
    If you love PQ like me, that's going to be a loooonnnggggg time!

But definitely need more lites. I am disabled and my Ipod is one of my biggest sources of entertainment. But unfortunately my gaming dollars are limited. Nothing I hate more than spending $4.99 or more of my precious dollars on a game I discover I can't stand.

4. HJJ

HJJ Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Or spending $11 on a movie I hated... Or $25 on a meal I didn't like...

Anyway, I think lite games are a good idea. I have upgraded to full, paid versions many times after trying lite versions.

5. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    Were you able to continue your progress when you went from Lite->Full?

6. sjleworthy

sjleworthy Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    3D & Architectural Artist
    Cardiff, Wales, UK
    it also works for the devs - i just bought idracula, also because of the hype.
    turns out i love this game. and much cheapness. now if it was a free lite with the full version being twice or three times it's current price i'd have bought it. but it wasn't, and i got a bargain :)

7. PSD

PSD Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Disabled
    Connecticut
    My point was is that this can be avoided with a lite version, unlike a movie or a meal.

8. le'deuche123

le'deuche123 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    I don't know it's complicated to design a lite version that gives people enough without giving too much. Just look at Galcon, I got the lite and that is more than enough.

9. kennfusion

kennfusion Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Brooklyn, New York
    I have bought a few games only after trying the light version.

PuzzleQuest is a great example for me like others. Their strategy worked for that, they reduced the price of the game a couple dollars and put out the lite version at the same time. I suddenly felt compelled to try the lite version before the full version went up in price again.

10. butters

butters Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Yup yup, go lite!

I am one of those persons that wants to try things before buying, so lite's are a must. :)

I still buy Apps only based on Screenshots, Reviews, etc., but i prefer a lite version...

11. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    I've bought several full versions after trying out the lite ones so they do work. Most notable include Galcon, Gemmed!, Pharos IV, and The Plateau. They help you get a taste of what gameplay is like which is always subjective anyway, and if they're done well, lite versions can get people hooked enough to buy.

12. SSquared

SSquared Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Software Developer
    Pacific Northwest
    Yes. Lite versions have helped me decide whether to purchase or not to purchase. The Lite versions really help the individual decide whether the gameplay fits their style and if it's a game they may enjoy exploring further.

13. CandyNJ66

CandyNJ66 Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Writer
    I love lite versions! Lite versions are awesome.

If there are no lite versions available, I'm not the sort to wait though because after doing research, I will def buy them.

14. le'deuche123

le'deuche123 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Also I would like to add that some lite's don't convey the true form of the game. Heavy mach is a good example as the lite just isn't as exciting as the game. For those who havn't played heavy mach, it starts slow but gets intense fast.

15. HJJ

HJJ Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    And my point was that sometimes, in life, we will encounter disappointments.

This part is not aimed at you, PSD, but a general comment:

Even though I'm an advocate of lite versions, I understand that some games are not conducive for the lite game model. And people will complain about ANYTHING anyway.

How many reviews of lite games have you seen like the following?
    "GREAT GAME I LOVE IT!!! but the full game is $4? WTF? Too expensive. Should be $1. Won't bother buying."

or, one of my "favorites"...

"Awesome! But needs more levels."

Then you have a games that have detailed descriptions and numerous game play videos, and people still buy and complain. Is there any reason at all for people to have bought Zen Bound and then "not understood" what the game is about? I understand if you bought it and concluded that it "didn't live up to the hype" but to complain about how you deleted it in 5 minutes because you didn't "get it", that's just foolish purchasing behavior.

If you were at the grocery store, and you saw a piece of meat that LOOKED old and SMELLED bad, but you weren't allowed to taste it on the spot, should I feel sorry for you when you buy it anyway and then realize that it was rotten to begin with?

So yeah, I think lite versions are great. But we, as consumers, also have to use good judgment and common sense (do I typically like this type of game? does it appeal to me visually? do I have the discretionary funds to afford it?). Don't expect to always get your decisions spoon fed to you.

16. Grumps

Grumps Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2009
    iOS Game Developer
    It's great to see such a positive feedback on Lite version of apps. Something that developer had to do to address iTunes' flaws on trial system. Just made a Lite version for my system and submitted to the appstore.

How much of contents should a Lite version have in your opinion?

17. PSD

PSD Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Disabled
    Connecticut
    #17 PSD, Feb 26, 2009
    I understand where you're coming from. But I like rpg's. Say there are 3 that are released. I can buy one. They all appeal to me visually, and I already said I like this type of game. Which one do i buy? A lite version will help me make a better, more informed decision no? It has nothing to do with spoon feeding me decisions. I make my own decisions. I just like to use whatever resources are available to help me make the right one.

And believe me, I am fully aware of disappointments. I have had more than my fair share.

18. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    I've bought several games because I love the lites.

As the old saying goes, 'try before you buy'. I don't wanna risk wasting $$$ on games that only look good and are hyped in the forums. I must know whether I enjoy the gameplay or not. I would've never purchased games like Lightbikes, Alphabetic or Samurai Puzzle Battle based on the screenshot or youtube videos. But once I tried the lites, I bought them straight away.

19. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    I think lite versions are a great idea as well. To compare a lite version of a piece of software to buying meat or vegetables in a market makes no sense. It's a matter of expectations. As a society, we don't expect to go into a market and get free samples, so it doesn't happen (although this isn't even entirely true). On the other hand, for software it is almost expected any more. That's the whole reason behind shareware in the PC world, and that's why video game rental stores became so popular for consoles. Even this is a bit of a gamble, I understand, but at least it lets you try the game for a reduced price before you buy for full price. I don't think there's anything wrong with the expectation that I should get to test out a game before I give someone my hard earned money for it. Heck, I can even go to a car dealer and take a car for a spin before purchasing it.

I do think, however, that Apple really needs to change their model such that full and lite versions can be one in the same, with the purchase of a game being the key for unlocking the whole thing. It is annoying to have to download the lite version, try it, and then if I like it, delete the lite version and download the full version. However, if that's the price I have to pay for being able to try something first, I'll live with it.

Now if a lite game isn't a good representation of the full game, then that's something the developer has to work on. The whole point of a lite version is to sell the full version, so if the lite version isn't doing that then you should probably consider scrapping it and coming up with a new lite version that's more enticing. It doesn't have to be more of the full game, just a more enticing part of the full game.

20. lithiastudios

lithiastudios Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2009
    What do people feel about a lite version for $.99 games? I'm sure everyone wants lite versions of any game, regardless of price point. :)

However, many have bought $.99 games without lite versions.. so what is it about those games? Was the purchase based purely on description + screenshots.. word of mouth? videos?