iPad List of original titles

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Benegesserit, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Benegesserit

Benegesserit Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Anyone have a list saved from an article or personal notes, etc. or perhaps we build one here of fairly unique games developed for the iphone? Like Eliss, Zen Bound, Rolando? I'm sure we can have some flexibility for other games out there that aren't iPhone that are similar. It doesn't have to be crazy unique like Okami http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C5%8Ckami but I'm looking for a list of games that don't just look like a clone, or polished version, or "remix" of classic games/gametypes.

Basically games that appear on the iPhone that either appear very original or were so good that tons of copycats started flooding in after their release. I want to get an idea of who and how much unique content is hitting app store shelves.

2. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    I don't know if this thread will accomplish much without tangible criteria.
    Anyway...
    Touchgrind is pretty unique to the iDevice. Sway too, for that matter. Come to think of it, all Illusion Labs games utilize the medium to it's full potential. Ocarina comes to mind. Frenzic is a mac port, but it seems a better fit for the iDevice.

3. Benegesserit

Mar 9, 2009
    I expect a few entries to be in a grey area. I think people should have the brains to leave out obvious clones. Example: A well done TD does not qualify as original. You have to interact in unique ways or ways that really emphasize that it was designed with the iphone in mind.

What you're mentioning I think is a good start for original games. While it may not be obvious which are the "most" original, it should be obvious which ones are just shill or proof that the designer needed something to work off of and didn't create the game on a fresh "canvas" so to speak.

4. starjimstar

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    I think people should have brains, too. :p

5. different

different Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Space Ninja + Dizzy Bee come to mind as stellar examples of accelerometer control.

6. starjimstar

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    I recall being impressed with Spinner http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=289218153&mt=8

Toy Bot Diaries was one of the first to make use of the array of input methods. http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=287747021&mt=8

Trism also stood out back in the early days of the App Store. http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=284653044&mt=8

I never had a chance to try Parallel Kingdom because it was never made available in Canada, but the concept seemed original enough. Put that in your 'maybe' pile.

OH! SGN Golf. That is the one that has you swing your iDevice like a golf club. I remember hearing about people not holding on tight enough and wrecking their devices. http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=290671614&mt=8

7. Benegesserit

Mar 9, 2009
    Awesome guys. I know I posted this late in the evening/early in the morning for many, so hopefully see a lot more responses soon. I love to support quality developers who think on their own!

8. iGewappnet

iGewappnet Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Mainz, Germany
    So you don't think that Zen Bound is a clone of Zen Bondage? And you also don't think that Rolando's "unique" styling is not a direct copy of Loco Roco's?

9. different

Aug 8, 2008
    It's rather unfair to point out the Zen Bound/Zen Bondage attribution, mostly because Secret Exit worked with the original developers of Bondage. Plus it's an obscure concept that works extremely well with the iPhone.

Also I'd give Rolando credit not for it's look, but instead for it's intuitive gameplay, controls and interactive environments.

10. At the very least, I can say that my game, Petri, falls into this category.

11. lopches

lopches Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2008
    one of the person in the developing team is the dev of zen bondage if i rmb correctly. so its still original :p

12. Benegesserit

Mar 9, 2009
    Exactly. It's very difficult to expect a game that has never had anything remotely similar done in the past. Like I said, they don't all have to be Okami. There's a huge difference between Rolando and Loco Roco's comparisons and the dozens or more Tetris clones. Anyone here with a monkey's IQ can see a swarm of clones vs a very few (if that) number of games with some similarities. Another way to look at it is a game you can tell was made by someone who really makes the extra effort to innovate and improve, as well as leverage the platform they are designing on.

13. ChaoticBox

ChaoticBox Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    Developer
    Toronto Canada
    Pinch 'n Pop! was designed for multitouch from the get-go.

14. Forerunnerz

Forerunnerz Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Love Pinch 'n Pop! So..much..fun! Gets old though, wish it had some progression mode.

15. TomFratelli

TomFratelli Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2009
  16. dashzed

dashzed Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2009
    ngmoco was created to make games exclusively for the iphone.

17. arkanigon

arkanigon Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2008
  18. PowerThirst

PowerThirst Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2009
    x2!!!

19. different

Aug 8, 2008
    I took a look at the game and found it to be fun, albeit repetitive. Unique, definitely, but repetitive. (I know, I wrote repetitive three times)

20. HJJ

HJJ Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    You are saying, right here, that the "original" developers of Zen Bondage worked on Zen Bound, which pretty much inherently means that Zen Bound is NOT a completely "original" concept. Zen Bondage was, sure. But Zen Bound should not be in a category of "originals" designed solely for the iPhone. I mean, I'm not the one making the rules, but for the stated parameters to make sense, Zen Bound should not be considered.

Rolando is more of a gray area...