iPad List of Great $10 Games

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by gscal, May 10, 2009.

1. gscal

gscal Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    #1 gscal, May 10, 2009
    Last edited: May 10, 2009
    I am creating a list of great games on the App Store that are $9.99, as a handy guide for people. So far I have:

-Assassin's Creed by Gameloft
    -Terminator Salvation by Gameloft
    -Tiger Woods PGA TOUR BY EA SPORTS by Electronic Arts
    -Need for Speed Undercover by Electronic Arts
    -Scrabble (International Version) by Electronic Arts
    -The New York Times Crosswords Daily 2009 by Magmic Inc.
    -X-Plane 9 by Laminar Research
    -X-Plane Airliner by Laminar Research
    -X-Plane Extreme by Laminar Research
    -X-Plane Helicopter by Laminar Research
    -X-Plane Racing by Laminar Research
    -International Athletics by Ghostlight LTD

And please, help me add to this list. I will edit and add as necessary.

2. Alichan76

Alichan76 Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Scrabble (International version)

3. Harejordan

Harejordan Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    Library Page
    San Jose, CA
    #3 Harejordan, May 10, 2009
    Last edited: May 10, 2009
    Maybe the New York Times Crosswords, but besides these...I don't think anything else is listed as $9.99.

(And I'm not including those points for mmorpgs, those don't count.)

Edit: Looked at the app store and saw about 5 "X-Plane" games, anyone know if they're good? Never heard of em.

4. gscal

gscal Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    Technically, it's a game.. I guess I'll add it. And yeah, it's slim pickings for $10 games.

5. Rad

Rad Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Washington
    To me this is the list of over priced games.

Just seems the big developers can't understand that the I-phone/I-touch pricing will never be like the overpriced PSP market. They hate the fact that people who are selling games for .99 cents and are making more money than they ever could.

Paying $10-$20 for an I-phone game would almost be as silly as trying to get people to pay for email.

6. Sainter

Sainter Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008

You obviously haven't played Need for Speed on the iPhone..

7. Rad

Rad Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Washington
    If you like paying $10 for games the company that made this game is more than happy to take it.

From the reviews I have seen they say the game is short.

Regardless my point is NFS shows 370 reviews, with so few people buying the game it will be at the price point it should have been $4.99 within 6 months.

8. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    It's people like you who hold back big companies from releasing serious games on AppStore. If you're happy with Urban Tycoon, Virtual Monkey or Memory Pets, fine.

But don't forget there are also people who wouldn't mind paying $10 for a real console-quality games like NFS and wish for Final Fantasy or Prince of Persia.

9. Rad

Rad Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Washington
    And they will be, just at $4.99 or less, like Underworlds.

10. Sainter

Sainter Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Not for a long time. 3 $10 games are in the top 25 games so they are getting downloaded thousands if times. 370 reviews of NFS means squat, hardly anyone would review the game

The store is heading today the need for more premium games I believe, we have had enough of the $1 games for the time being

11. Relly

Relly Member

May 6, 2009
    You seriously need to get a job, or stop being cheap. Sure, there are tons of games and apps that are overpriced but you can't go on and say that the console games made for the iPhones aren't worth ten dollars.

If you put in months of hard work and spent hundreds, even thousands to make your game, I doubt you'd be as generous as you want the other devs to be.

12. Coachflaps

Coachflaps Active Member

May 6, 2009
    USAF
    FL
    I've paid $30 or more for Final Fantasy for the DS and would do the same if they came out with the same content in the app store. Not some cheapened form of the game mind you but the actual full game.

You bring good content and people will pay the price. NFS is worth $9.99. I'd like to see a comparison of NFS: Undercover for the PSP, DS and iPhone. If the content is the same then the app store version is a steal! The game is $19.99 for the DS and $39.99 for the PSP.

I wonder if the a lot of the people who buy games for the iDevice buy games for anything else?

13. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Jeez man it's 10 dollars! How much money do you want devs to make if every damn thing costed 1-2 dollars? With games that are now ramping up to comparable to the DS/ PSP output? And on a cell phone to boot? :confused:

Stop holding back progress.

14. Ravenblack

Ravenblack Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Singapore
    What a silly comparison. It takes months to make a good game, it does not take months to create an email.

15. beetle004

beetle004 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    IGN reviewed iphone version of NFS and said it was better than the psp version .

16. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    But people ARE willing to pay for quality.
    At least in Germany games like NFS or AC are among the best selling games right now, NFS is lonely #1. So, I think, a 10 bucks game on #1 brings a little more money to the dev, the a 99 cents game on the same position, right?

I love these games, they are pushing the boundaries of the device.

17. dashzed

dashzed Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2009
    does it have to be exactly ten dollars? because 2XL Supercross is $8 and one of my favourite games.

18. TideTime

TideTime Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2009
    Yep. If publishers think that the only games that sell well cost $0.99, that means a cut in budget of 1/10th (from selling games at $10). Think that won't impact quality? Not a chance it wouldn't.

19. Rad

Rad Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Washington
    You guys just don't get it. The I-Phone/I-Touch store is something the market place has never seen. This market place offers more customers (global), no packaging costs (digital downloads), the ability for a no name company to make alot of money.

The new word is bulk pricing.

People are just so used to paying high prices for games. Nintendo and Sony have been guilty of price fixing for years.

I am not cheap I just have the ability to think out of the box and understand what the big companies want you to believe. They just want to make more money I can understand that but my job as a consumer is to try to balance it out.
    The cable companies were also saying it would be so expensive to upgrade the network so they were all talking about adding caps and price hikes,when in reality it has been proven that it would cost as little as $20 per customer. The cell phone companies are in the same boat once wimax rolls out every thing will change and cell phone plans will be unlimited and part of your internet bill.

The I-tunes pricing model works very well. If you have a good app you will do well.

Once Apple upgrades the Apple TV product/Mac Mini to play these games in the living room the price model may change, but in the mean time we will have low prices, good profits for developers and more games than we will ever know what to do with.

20. walsh06

walsh06 Well-Known Member

but $10 is cheap. if you cant afford that for a well made game then what are you doing here.