List Of Adventure Games (Part 2)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by PointOfLight, May 5, 2011.

1. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Well I'll be. I just assumed that since there were 64GB iPod Touches that they also had 64GB iPhones. You learn something new every day...

2. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Added. Would have done it sooner, but I fell victim to Apple's lousy iTunes search again :( So have you played any of the escape games from IDAC Co (the ones with the quotes around everything except Escape Game)? If so, which one did you enjoy the most?

3. Pepper2427

Pepper2427 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Wits End
    I have only played the free ones so far. The first one i tried was a bit hard going but they are all pretty similar so they seem to get easier as you go on. I do enjoy them though because you can pick up where you left off as there is usually just one or two rooms

4. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    I thought there were three free ones at one point. Apparently they've raised the prices, because right now there is only one listed for free.

5. Pepper2427

Pepper2427 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Wits End
    The three I have are Falsely Accused, The Bored Victim and Stolen Happiness but all but one have disappeared from the App Store. I wonder why because they haven't been on long. Maybe they will be rereleased with a 59p/99c price tag

6. thom-22

thom-22 Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    San Diego
    Hey, all. It's been nearly two years since I posted on TA. Just wanted to say thanks for the list, very useful. I'm a long-time adventure gamer and enjoy puzzle games as well. I played all the classics long ago and think it's great they're being ported to iOS. I loved the Broken Swords, Myst, BASS, Monkey Island, etc. I do more gaming on my Mac than my iPod touch these days -- small screen, bad eyesight, not a good combination -- so I save the adventures for desktop and stick to shorter puzzle games for iOS now. Are there any iOS-only true adventure games that are worthy of the classics? (I really didn't care for 1112.) Anyway, here are some additions for your list.

Puzzle Agent 2 came out last week. It's not as good as the first one, but worth playing, I think.

Puzzle Agent 2
    Puzzle Agent 2 HD

I think this was one of the earliest HOGs to come to iOS; I played it but I don't remember how good it is, especially in comparison to other HOGs because I don't play them much any more.

The Stone of Destiny
    The Stone of Destiny HD

Some more HOGs, from Big Fish:

Amazon: Hidden Expedition (universal)
    Everest: Hidden Expedition
    Everest: Hidden Expedition HD
    Titanic: Hidden Expedition

I notice that some games on the list don't have categories. Is that an oversight, is my browser messed up, or is it because you weren't sure? I can tell you that Legend of Crystal Valley is definitely an Adventure Game, and Mystery Mania is definitely an Escape the Room game. I enjoyed Mystery Mania very much, it appeals more to puzzle gamers than adventure gamers who are more story-oriented.

Also, someone asked upthread about Wallace & Gromit -- I'd recommend this highly, it's not over-taxing puzzle-wise but it's fun and creative.

Up next for me is the Secret of Grisly Manor, and the Cryptic Keep someone mentioned above sounds good, too.

Thanks again! :D

7. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Thanks for all the input. I've added the games that you listed. As for the missing categories, it was mainly because I was trying to get the initial list up quickly. Categories was something I added myself, and to me it wasn't as important as the names and URLs to find the games. There were a couple I wasn't sure about, but mostly the blank ones are just because I haven't bothered to fill them in yet.

By the way, I know I'm probably not supposed to do this, but since I already posted a review / synopsis here, this is the link to my full review of Cryptic Keep. I've heard from the developer, and he said the coming update will be pretty significant (I have more details, but not sure I should share at the moment). Anyway, I don't think it's going to be an extremely long game even with the updates, but probably still worth it for 99 cents if you like adventure games that lean more heavily on puzzles than story.

8. GamerAdi

GamerAdi Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2010
    I like your reviews Eric :) But I have a little different opinion about Cryptic Keep, I don't like it at all. It's easy, it's short, there aren't any NPCs, and I don't like the graphics.
    But I like only cartoon (drawn) graphics in adventure games (1112, Broken Sword, Monkey Island, The Train) :)

9. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    First off, thanks! I completely agree with you on the first two points. Hopefully the first update to Cryptic Keep is going to address that. As for there not being any NPCs, the game was short enough that this omission didn't bother me too much. I think the reason it was a problem in games like Myst is because that game was so drawn out that it needed something to break the monotony. In regards to the graphics, you're really specific about the kinds of games you like, aren't you :) Seriously, though, I agree with you generally speaking, as I prefer cartoon style visuals as well (don't know if you've ever played King's Quest VII or not, but that had one of the best cartoon intros in and adventure game for a long time). However, I'm all for 3D graphics if they look good. The ones in Cryptic Keep just didn't look that good. Now had Cryptic Keep looked like the Citadel demo for the Unreal 3 engine, that would have been a completely different story :)

10. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Added

11. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Just added a new link to the list for Awesome Cop (App Store). It's made by the folks who did the Polda games, but this one actually has an English version. The game is universal, and it's a free download with $1.99 IAP to unlock the full game.

12. GamerAdi

Nov 8, 2010
    Actually this is Cop - The Case Of The Cloned Beauty Queen, but with different title, and In-App Purchases. And Cop - The Case Of The Cloned Beauty Queen is no longer available in the AppStore.

13. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Ah, I thought it looked familiar! I have removed the entry for Case Of The Cloned Beauty Queen from my list. Thanks for the update. Was Cop originally in English?

14. GamerAdi

Nov 8, 2010
    Always glad to help :) Cop was in English, and as far as I know, it was second Polda.

15. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Huh, I'm surprised I never added Cop to my "wanted" list then. Must have been an oversight. So has anyone actually played the game in either of its incarnations?

16. Teagan

Teagan Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2011
    Thank you so much for this thread! These are my favorite type of games. I just found your list and had to join to say "thank you". I'm not so found of hidden object but love the "Grisly Manor" type games. Any recommendations bc I could use a new game while anxiously waiting for the sequel to Grisly and the new one the devs are putting out. Thanks again:)

17. Teagan

Teagan Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2011
    Did you add mystery trackers-The Void? I actually enjoyed it even thought I'm not a fan of hidden objects.

18. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Thank you. It's always nice to hear from another person that appreciates the list. If you're looking more for puzzle than plotline you might try any of the ones marked Room Escape, or Cryptic Keep (but be warned that Cryptic Keep is really short). For more traditional adventure game with characters to talk to and the like you would should check out the First Person / Third Person selections. I like the Path Of The Dragon and Mysterious Island games myself.

Added.

19. Teagan

Teagan Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2011
    Moonfell Wood was also fun. I've played most of the traditional adventure games ie. Myst, Jules Verne, lost cavern, steel sky etc etc along with the escape the room games. I think I will look for more games similar to Moonfell Wood and Void. I'm surprised how much I enjoyed them. Any suggestions?