List Of Adventure Games (Part 2)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by PointOfLight, May 5, 2011.

1. Teagan

Teagan Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2011
    That is a very difficult one. Let me know if you make progress:) any new AMAZING games today?

BTW I downloaded Drawn 2 when it first came out to see if I liked it. It was enjoyable so I kept it on my iPad bc I didn't want to lose my progress yet wanted the price to go down. So the price went down the other day and I purchased the full version thinking my progress was saved. NO LUCK. Thus, I opened my lite verson and did the IAP thinking it would recognize that I already paid. It remembered were I left off but unfortunately I was billed twice for the same purchase (the IAP AND separate download). Apple needs to fix this bc doing the IAP was the ONLY way to start where I left off in the game. However, the full version should have recognized this. My question is.....if I delete a lite version where I did an IAP, decide months later I want to play that title and thus download the full version bc the IAP version no longer exists, will I be charged AGAIN?

2. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Unfortunately, whether it seems the right way to do things or not, the full version and the lite version with IAP are actually two different builds of the game, which is why the save file was not compatible. It's also why the lite version did not recognize that you had purchased the full version as well. They are technically two separate games, so there would be no way that one would know you purchased the other. As for redownloading at another date, you always have access to the full versions you've purchased as long as the developer doesn't do something weird like relist the software. On the iPad there is a nice area called Purchased that will let you sift through all the games you have bought and install from that list. I believe you can even search through the list to find things more easily. It's not quite as nice on the iPhone - you have to "buy" the game again, and once the App Store realizes that you've already purchased it you will get a message saying the download is free because you own a prior version.

3. Teagan

Teagan Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2011
    But eventually they relist the games w no IAP. I wish they would get rid of IAP.

4. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    I'm not a fan of IAP, but I think the premise is sound. The problem is two-fold: first, Apple doesn't require IAP for lite-to-full upgrades, so you have too much of a mix of full with no lite, full and lite, full and lite with IAP, etc. There is no standard, no one knows what to trust, and as a result people shy away from IAP. The second problem is that there is no way to offer promo codes for IAP. This is bad for reviews, because in order to provide a copy of a game to a reviewer, either the reviewer has to buy the IAP with no compensation, the developer has to reimburse the reviewer for their IAP purchase (outside of the App Store, of course), or there has to be two versions of the app - a full version and a lite-to-full version. IAP isn't a bad concept, it's just not well thought out.

5. Pepper2427

Pepper2427 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Wits End
    I've only had one experience with IAP and it was a bad one so I now avoid IAP at all costs. In theory they are a good idea. In practice, not

6. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    I've made three or four IAP purchases and never had a problem at time of purchase, but I have never had to restore a game where I've made IAP purchases either.

7. Teagan

Teagan Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2011
    IDACS a meddling shogi player is now free. Appnavi is not compatible w ios5 and thus, no longer works on either of my devices. I lost all progress and points:(

8. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    That stinks. I've been avoiding iOS 5 as long as possible. Unfortunately, more and more games are compatible with only 4.3 and above, and I'm still running 4.2.1 on my iPod Touch. Anyone know how to circumvent the iOS 5 install and just install the last 4.x update?

9. #1309 Off Studio, Nov 9, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
    Use at your own risk, but... you can download any older revision of iOS directly from Apple (they are listed HERE). The firmware files have an .ipsw extension.

Then in iTunes application select your device, you should see two buttons, "Check for Update" and "Restore". If you hold down the Option key (or Shift key in Windows) and click the Restore button, it will allow you to choose a specific .ipsw file.

This way you should be able to download the latest 4.x version and use the Option key trick to install it to the device.

Be sure to backup your device first, though, because it will be reset to factory settings.

EDIT: The list I posted doesn't link firmware for iPod Touch, THIS one does.

10. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Thanks for the tip. Something like that always make me nervous, because I have a lot of in-progress games for review that I don't want to have to start over again. However, I'm just not ready to go to 5 yet, so looks like I might be giving this a try over the weekend.

11. Pepper2427

Pepper2427 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Wits End
    It's strange but I have had no problems with IOS5. My other half has had real problems with his music. It keeps freezing after playing so many songs and the songs that are playing don't match the artwork displayed. The only thing I've noticed is the lag when typing

12. paul.hendricks

paul.hendricks Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2009
    State of Confusion!!
    #1312 paul.hendricks, Nov 10, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
    Besides some old app incompatibilities, iOS 5 has been pretty smooth for me as well.

New Big Fish Game out tonight-Rhianna Ford & the Da Vinci Letter. TA forum link below:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?threadid=112980

Free with IAP-$.99 release sale. Big ass game at 699 mb, although that doesn't ensure anything.

13. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    I'm beginning to think I'm just going to save my Big Fish Games playing for my PC. At least I don't have any problems with the games there :rolleyes:

14. Teagan

Teagan Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2011
    Ditto. I haven't had any issues either besides Appnavi which isn't compatible yet. However, I have noticed my battery seems to drain fast. There is an update coming out soon to fix this. Some people already have the update and said it works wonders.

I forgot that I have a Touch. There isn't anything on there that I care about losing. However, I don't want it synching with my iPhone and iPad. It needs to be updated but I'm not sure how to go about this without it synching w my other devices. Any suggestions? I should sell it bc I don't have any need for it unless I use it as a guinea pig (for what I'm not sure) :D

15. paul.hendricks

paul.hendricks Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2009
    State of Confusion!!
    If you are talking about the automatic downloading, you can turn it off on a per category basis on each device. It is under Settings then Store.

16. Teagan

Teagan Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2011
    If anyone wants Cleopatra, there are free codes listed under promo thread:)

17. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Thanks for the heads up. I actually managed to snag a code.

18. Teagan

Teagan Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2011
    Great! I'm glad you were able to get one.:D

19. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    I think my wife's going to get tired of me filling up her iPad with my games though :) This one's a big one too - almost 1GB.

20. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Has anyone played Manhattan Requiem? It looks kind of interesting, but even on sale it's still $3.99, so I'd rather hear some input on it before I spend my money.