List Of Adventure Games (Part 2)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by PointOfLight, May 5, 2011.

1. morrissey

morrissey Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2014
    Ok .... Possible “game changer”? Apple Arcade is out on iOS 13. Just downloaded and am doing the one month free trial to see what adventure (point and click) games they offer. Starting out with Jenny LeClue. Hoping to find that there may be some great games that we all enjoy. Any one up for the challenge to see if buying the monthly subscription is worth it? That means signing up for the trial month ASAP and playing any games that may be in our category of “adventure/point and click” type of games to see if any are worth the subscription ? I’m tired of not finding any good games anymore and thought this might be the answer? Thoughts....?

2. morrissey

Oct 16, 2014
    Ok, just tried Jenny LeClue for a while, not my cup of tea... basically a murder mystery that has a bunch of narrative to solve. Now trying ocean horn 2!

3. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    From the video it seemed to me that Jenny LeClue was more of a platformer with possibly some puzzle elements than an adventure game. Guess I'll have to watch it again. Assuming Oceanhorn is like its predecessor, that's more Zelda-ish than adventure game.

So I don't know if I'll ever have a device capable of running Apple Arcade, but here's my two cents in terms of how it will be approached by adventure game developers. I don't think it will. Adventure games are one of the most time consuming genres to design in terms of locations, dialog, etc. because so much has to go into making the world believable (at least within its own reality) and detailed. If it's not already happening, I can see how people will get frustrated if an individual game doesn't provide hours of entertainment, even though the subscription is technically meant to cover every game in the catalog, not just the ones you choose to play. As such, I think developers are going to go for the quick draw with no real design like match 3 games or next "feed the critter" puzzle game rather than time sinks like RPGs or adventure games. At least I think this will be the case for original case. Obviously games that are ports or that they plan to be ported to other systems later on will be different, but especially when it comes to indie developers, devoting too much time to a game that has to be profit-shared on subscriptions of $5 a month doesn't seem practical. I hope I end up being wrong about all of this, but only time will tell.

Personally, I'm more intrigued by GameClub, which is going to be another subscription based service that is bringing back a bunch of classic games that have been removed from the App Store. So far I've been able to play almost all of them on my aging device, and frankly even though many of them are older games they are still a lot of fun. I just hope this whole subscription thing doesn't get too out of control like the streaming video industry has.

4. morrissey

Oct 16, 2014
    Well stated and educated on how adventure games are created! I agree, as I venture more into Apple Arcade. Sad that I thought, maybe (yet it still may be produced in the future), Apple Arcade would provide an acceptable adventure game. I’m enjoying Sasquatch at the moment, but in no way does it compare to the adventure games I’m seeking.

5. Teagan

Teagan Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2011
    Stopping by to say hello:) I hope everyone is well. Any “must play games” recs?

6. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Hello! Sadly, I have nothing new on the adventure game front to report today. I have been playing Gems of War, which is a match 3 / RPG hybrid, way too much lately, but that's off topic so pretend I didn't mention it :p

7. Teagan

Teagan Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2011
    Lolo
    lol I still play Cookie Jam every now and then so I’m not one to judge:)
    Anything amazing come out since Thicket Creek? I’ve been playing escape games.....I haven’t come across anything that has knocked my shoes off. Winter is coming so I need to build up an arsenal of good games:)

morrissey likes this.
  8. brogmoid

brogmoid Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2015
    a series of tubes
    the south side of the sky
    Gambler likes this.
  9. brogmoid

Jun 21, 2015
    a series of tubes
    Today I got really excited because I remembered that Rusty Lake's new game The White Door was supposed to drop this past week. But sadly it has been delayed until January 2020, according to TA :(

While I'm waiting, I'm having a blast playing Nox, an adventure game / room escape mashup. It's quite tricky but super immersive and borderline creepy, with excellent audio and some interesting and fairly original approaches for the genre. I almost always disable music in games as it's usually bad or distracting - but not in this one. Highly recommend this game to the august followers of this thread :cool:

Also, hat tip to Appunwrapper from whom I learned of Nox.

morrissey and Gambler like this.
  10. Gambler

Gambler Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Gazorpazorp
    #7150 Gambler, Dec 12, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
    Odysseus Kosmos is finally complete btw. Episode 5 (of 5) came out a few weeks ago. Dev really stuck to his promises, releasing everything for Steam and iOS thereafter. A commitment not always too common these days, especially with episodic adventure releases and especially with small developers like this.

in any way, game has been a nice ride. Rather heavy on (mostly inventory) puzzles, sometimes not too easy but luckily with a hint function for emergencies.

morrissey likes this.
  11. brogmoid

Jun 21, 2015
    a series of tubes
    I am really enjoying House of Da Vinci part 2.

The first version was probably the most complete of the various The Room imitators to be released in the last five years, but lacked some of the polish of those games.

So far Da Vince part 2 seems to have that extra something. While it's a little heavy on conversational cutscenes for my preference, it does provide a richer overall experience, in the same way that sequels to The Room went beyond merely a puzzle box on a table.

morrissey likes this.
  12. GlitchGames

GlitchGames Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2012
    Game Developer
    Oxford, UK
    Wow, we've been way too quiet recently but yes, Veritas does finally have a release date and you can also now pre-order it!

brogmoid, elvis333, Gambler and 2 others like this.
  13. GlitchGames

Feb 10, 2012
    Game Developer
    Oxford, UK
    As we're less than a month from release now we decided to spruce up the mini-site for Veritas to try to increase interest and awareness - https://www.veritasthegame.com/ - please let me know what you think!

Gambler likes this.
  14. Gambler

Mar 10, 2014
    Gazorpazorp
    Whoa, the game looks absolutely amazing!

Hope Apple Arcade doesn‘t take away too much of your sales (heard premium titles have an even harder time now since AA came around) but at least their adventure offerings are rather sparse.

Anyway, wishing you guys the best of luck, can‘t wait for February 12th! Already preordered :D

15. Gambler

Mar 10, 2014
    Gazorpazorp
    #7155 Gambler, Jan 28, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
    I‘m an AA subscriber since the beginning now and tbh I don‘t even know why I‘m paying for it anymore despite 5 Euros a months being a not too shabby deal for about 100 games and that I still want them to succeed.

1. Their Point and Click catalogue completely sucks. Same as you I‘m not too keen on Jenny LeClue (more of a narrative adventure than a point and click) and the other adventure (some murder mystery, forgot its name) didn‘t keep my interest for long either. There are a few other great games in the catalogue but none of them point’n’click.

2. The pace of new game releases is terrible, iirc the last 6 weeks had 4 new games, none of which were of much interest to me ...

3. Only game I‘m looking forward to is Beyond a Steel Sky, but who knows when that‘ll come out.

4. After initial excitement I‘m rather disappointed with AA so far. I liked a few non-adventure titles and probably got my moneys worth for that. But considering I‘m talking about 3 or 4 games I liked that I haven’t quit after a few minutes again I‘m going into my fourth month having paid 20 Euros now it‘s pretty much the same deal as if I‘d bought 4 or 5 premium games I liked (but could have chosen at least) ... Hope Apple and AA devs churn out some quality content - and at least 1 or 2 PnCs - soon or I guess I‘ll have to call it quits for a while.

And from what I‘ve read in the forums a lot of people feel similar (at least about the slow release rhythm) ...

P. S.: Gameclub‘s much more fun so far. Being able to replay some old classics that went dead with iOS11/64bit - alas no PnCs either though - is pretty cool. And if you‘ve ever bought them in the past you can even (re)play them for free.

Hope they can revive Tiny Thief one of these days :)

16. iPad_Lover

iPad_Lover New Member

Jan 28, 2020
    Male
    Games that are AA should be able to be bought as well. AA has a couple of games I’d love to play, but I want to buy them. If you stop AA you lose your games correct?

17. Gambler

Mar 10, 2014
    Gazorpazorp
    #7157 Gambler, Jan 29, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
    Yeah, you lose your games until you renew your subscription that is. Savegames should stay in the cloud for a while though (at least according to Apple, guess they decide how long this while is, knowing them probably at least a few years)

P. S.: From my experience over the last few years you never own anything indefinitely in times of digital stores anymore though. I‘ve lost so many games I‘d bought due to iOS updates (iOS 11 being the main game killer of course with its 64 bit policy) but that‘s just one part of the issue with digital purchases.

I‘ve lost the Monkey Island remakes for example because Disney bought Lucas Arts and decided not to care for their PnC catalogue anymore. Their games just vanished out of the App Store one day (and if you hadn’t installed them by that time they were gone forever) ... Same with the older Telltale Titles like Tales of MI or Law & Order. Etc etc.

Usually it is that you buy a commodity, it‘s yours and you can resell it if you want but alas this isn‘t true for digital content anymore. Updates break it, devs abandon it because it doesn‘t make enough revenue or the publisher goes under and so on.

Long story short, I‘ve come to realize that you never own digital games and have no control over them - Even though you buy them like any other game you somewhere lose (most of) them down the line because of said issues.

Really sucks but that‘s why I also don‘t see much of a difference between buying a game through the App Store and "owning" it through AA ... Both isn‘t forever

morrissey likes this.
  18. GlitchGames

Feb 10, 2012
    Game Developer
    Oxford, UK
    Thank you!

Haha yea, it's hard enough to get people to spend money on apps so fingers crossed we still get some sales. Thanks for the pre-order, really appreciate it!

morrissey and Gambler like this.
  19. morrissey

Oct 16, 2014
    Agree with everything you said in this post. Also, wondering why I keep paying the subscription with very few new games released and very few adventure/point and click. Albeit, Jenny LeClue grew on me and I rather enjoyed it the most of all AA games I tried.

Gambler likes this.
  20. Gambler

Mar 10, 2014
    Gazorpazorp
    Hmm, guess I could give it another shot. Stopped about 1 hour in and never revisited again. Would have preferred a little more puzzles, most of the game so far just has been looking around the screen for clues ... Hence the name I guess ;)

But it‘s not as if there are tons of other AA games waiting in line (adventures even less for that matter), so nothing to lose I guess :)

morrissey likes this.