List Of Adventure Games (Part 2)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by PointOfLight, May 5, 2011.

1. Gambler

Gambler Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Gazorpazorp
    The main credit for this definitely belongs to you, Cap’n :D

Btw, wouldn’t it be Point & Tap? ;)

2. Gambler

Mar 10, 2014
    Gazorpazorp
    Have visited too little lately, so just saw this question now.

If we’re talking about games that (also) came out on mobile, definitely Thimbleweed Park, then A Short Tale by Glitch, Bertram Fiddle Episode 2 (pity this was such a bugfest and subsequent sales failure that there probably won’t be any more), Book of Unwritten Tales 2, DoTT remaster, Harvey’s New Eyes (I know the last two are technically older but just going by their release date on iOS)

On pure PC/Mac (so far) Darkestville Castle and Unforeseen Incidents. And Return of the Tentacle as an honorary mention.

Those are out the top of my head for now, probably forgot a few but guess from the lists it’s pretty obvious I usually prefer classic point’n’clicks in the vein of Lucas Arts with a humurous over a serious story and more inventory based instead of environmental puzzles.

Pretty curious to hear your picks - Iirc you prefer adventures in the vein of Firemaple and Glitch, unfortunately the former seems to have left the building while the latter has also gotten pretty quiet atm (even though, luckily, development of Veritas still seems to be going on).

3. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Thanks, but the discussion would be pretty boring without you all!

I suppose if you want to be logical about it :rolleyes:

4. podbud

podbud Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    I kinda got into it but got a little bored after a while as the puzzles had no real logical sequence. Once I was at chapter three, I just kept going backwards and forwards with no idea what to do. I like games that sometimes feed you a prompt or a token least have a reason for that. Token wheel you just found and a suggestion that maybe that broken wheel you just found may come in handy over there near the door with the broken handle?

It looks great. It’s ambient and immersive, just kinda obscure and a bit frustrating.

5. Teagan

Teagan Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2011
    I don’t like games with a lot of dialogue or silly cartoony characters. I can’t even remember the last time a decent adventure game was released. I started the latest Harvey game but didn’t have the patience for the cartoons and tutorial lol I’ve run out of escape games so I’m at a standstill. Maybe I’ll try The Eyes of Ara. I wish there was a trial version bc I’m tired of wasting money on bad games.

6. Gambler

Mar 10, 2014
    Gazorpazorp
    I prefer lighthearted adventures, beginning with DotT and Curse of Monkey Island. But even adventures with "silly cartoon characters" aren’t exactly a dime and a dozen today anymore. Especially on mobile.

I was forced to return to PC gaming a bit because of the momentarily rather bleak adventure situation on iOS.

Even Appshopper doesn’t index new releases properly anymore (last time I looked the last new paid game they had listed already was 2 weeks old, the second one 6 weeks - No idea what’s up with that).

Also, Appunwrapper bought a Windows tablet a few weeks ago. Goes to show that even she, with her focus on adventures and puzzle games, seems to be running out of stuff to play on iOS.

7. Graham Hayes

Graham Hayes Active Member

Aug 19, 2014
    Adventure games I've really enjoy in the past two years, that are also on iOS: Technobabylon, The Journey Down and Kathy Rain. I also don't like cartoony adventures but Paul Pixel - The Awakening was quite enjoyable.

8. Gambler

Mar 10, 2014
    Gazorpazorp
    #7008 Gambler, Sep 5, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
    Oh right, duh. Graham was too humble to mention his great new PnC adventure game:

Drawn Down (by Studio Hazy)

It’s not extremely long (I needed about 3 - 3 1/2 hours) but the story is pretty cool. I really like the setting, the game plays about 20 years in the future and some topics are rather relevant today regarding the current development in technology, cybernetics and robotics.

The puzzles are very neatly balanced. Not too hard but also not too easy - You still have to pay attention. Also enjoyed the sketch artist sections :)

Even though I wouldn’t have minded if Drawn Down had been a bit longer (as with all good titles) I enjoyed my time with the game very much and can fully recommend it!

And @graham: Technobabylon is great, as is Shardlight, the Blackwell Series, and Primordia. The latter is my favorite (published by) Wadjet Eye game but nearly all their stuff is great. Kathy Rain is awesome too - Who could say no to a "supernatural Full Throttle" ;)

Graham Hayes likes this.
  9. Graham Hayes

Aug 19, 2014
    Thanks @Gambler, I can't claim to have enjoyed a game I made as you spend far too much time with it! I think I've played all of Wadjet Eye's back catalogue they're definitely making and producing some of the best stuff, in my opinion. Not on iOS yet, but Unavowed was really good!

10. Teagan

Teagan Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2011
    I have The Journey Down on my iPad but haven’t started it. I have a few of the others mentioned but most likely played them and deleted. I can’t keep track of everything lol

11. Gambler

Mar 10, 2014
    Gazorpazorp
    New puzzle adventure from the creators of Returner 77:

Returner Zhero

12. Gambler

Mar 10, 2014
    Gazorpazorp
    #7012 Gambler, Sep 8, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
    I get that, you probably know every screen by heart. Hope you keep on making adventure games though.

One teensy qualm with Drawn Down I’ve always forgotten to mention so far though:

I failed the first sketch for the first time cause I didn’t choose the lightly wrinkled guy for the late 20s/early 30s guy. Suppose you’re somewhere in your early twenties but you gotta have pretty bad genes already having a wrinkly forehead with 28 or 30 :D

I’m in my mid 30s and I still don’t have any (hope I didn’t jinx it now) :)

Graham Hayes likes this.
  13. Graham Hayes

Aug 19, 2014

Haha, I see your point, it's not that obvious that the young one isn't in that age range, I think I got better at drawing youths as the game development went on.

While we're bragging about our good genes, I nearly got ID'd at age 36 the other day ;)

14. Teagan

Teagan Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2011
    I decided to go back and play The Room again. I must be really desperate bc this is the first time I’ve played a game more than once. Lol If I wish I could afford to purchase every adventure game and toss if I didn’t find it amusing..... unfortunately I can’t.

15. Gambler

Mar 10, 2014
    Gazorpazorp
    Haha, ok we’re the same age :) Thought you were younger if you already draw ppl with 30 having wrinkles :D Know what you’re talking about though, once I ordered a beer with 26 and the guy didn’t wanna serve me at first (age limit here for beer snd wine is 16), another time I won money gambling with 28 and the guy initially didn’t wanna cash me out. Really hated always looking so young in my youth but it’s clearly getting more advantageous the older one gets :)

Anyway, played through The Night of the Rabbit on PC on the weekend. Another criminally underrated Daedalic adventure, to the brim full of puzzles, very long playing time and a very charming, magical story. Must’ve been expensive in production and looking at the sales figures it’s no wonder Daedlic stopped developing new Point’n’Click adventures.

It has drawn cartoon backgrounds/characters and certainly isn’t a completely adult story (I suppose the parallels to Harry Potter are intentional) so probably not for everyone (here) but I enjoyed it a lot. Can’t believe I didn’t try the game sooner and hope they’ll port it to iOS one of these days.

Of course it’s also possible that they started porting Harvey’s New Eyes before they decided to cease adventure development altogether in February 2018 but just read that the big corporation Bastei Lübbe that bought Daedalic a while back is considering selling them again (the games they pushed, like Pillars of the Earth, certainly were no big success and the strategy of turning Daedalic into one of Europe’s biggest digital publisher hasn’t worked out either) - So maybe they’ll return to their roots after that ... At least somewhat.

16. Gambler

Mar 10, 2014
    Gazorpazorp
    Appshopper seems near death ... I wanted to search for new releases again but the newest paid game they list is Quarto for $3.99 which was released 11 weeks (!) ago.

Really looks as if a lot is falling apart. Hardly any new premium releases (n the adventure genre least of all), Appunwrapper buying a Windows tablet, Teagan replaying The Room, TA struggling, Appshopper completely out of date. If I remember just 2 years back there were new releases nearly every day. Now you gotta look with a microscope.

@Graham Hayes: At least hope sales for Drawn Down are ok anyway. I mentioned the impending Windows port on another (PC) adventure thread, when I searched for the game 3 months ago I couldn’t find any info about it though. Now it’s on the Studio Hazy website at least but it hadn’t been before. Was the low profile intentional?

17. Graham Hayes

Aug 19, 2014
    No, I'm just one guy and suck at marketing, the only place I've really talked about it was on Twitter as it's easy to put a quick little update.

18. Gambler

Mar 10, 2014
    Gazorpazorp
    Ok, good to know. I’ll certainly try to help spreading the word a little :)

Graham Hayes likes this.
  19. Graham Hayes

Aug 19, 2014
    I appreciate it! I think word of mouth is the most viable form of marketing for niche indie devs. Fortunately I have an IRL job which I enjoy, making adventure games is very challenging and rewarding on its own, and although I could make a casual game every 1-2 months, it would bore me. So I won't be making any smart business decisions any time soon! ;)

20. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    I don't disagree with the first part of this - AppShopper is not nearly what it used to be. I wonder if part of the problem might be that Apple changed the file that sites like AppShopper use to get their new release information from. Just pure speculation mind you, as I don't know how the system works or what the file looks like, but having dealt with the process just a bit when I used to look up links for reviews, I know they like to change things up without regards to the actual developers that are using it. However, your assessment of what's available is not quite correct. There are new games as of an hour ago, with a paid game showing up in the last 10 hours (Ski Jump Zero) as well as several showing up in the last few days. I think the bigger problem there is that not a lot of developers are turning out paid games any more, because the App Store ecosystem (ie: customers) are too cheap to support it. Try starting with this URL: http://appshopper.com/all/games/new/ and see what you get.

Unfortunately the premium release issue is only going to get worse unless the ecosystem implodes and resets itself. For those few developers that can make a living out of this, it seems much easier for them to do so via F2P then outright paid games. And sadly, I think adventure games have always been at the bottom of the heap as far as that's concerned. It is a bit disconcerting when the staunch supporters turn to other venues to get their entertainment, though. Not sure whether it's worse that AppUnwrapper went to Windows or I migrated to Android :eek: