List Of Adventure Games (Part 2)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by PointOfLight, May 5, 2011.

1. Gambler

Gambler Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Gazorpazorp
    #6961 Gambler, Jun 29, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
    Lol :D Completely the same here. Looking at a walkthrough a single time is probably a bit like a highly addictive drug. When I use it once I can’t stop anymore as soon as I get stuck a little while again. That’s why I usually also try to avoid walkthroughs. :)

2. Gambler

Mar 10, 2014
    Gazorpazorp
    #6962 Gambler, Jun 29, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
    Actually we had nearly 700 pages. But in this instance the mods didn’t trim anything ;) The difference is that there are 20 posts on a single page now instead of 10 as it had been before :)

Glad to hear about Glitch, I hope we also hear from development of the new Fire Maple game again. Just a bit weird that both of them completely stopped posting here but I guess Glitch will return when they’re finished with Veritas.

New game from last week which describes itself as mix between bullet hell and point’n’click escape room adventure. Pretty weird combination and I’m no fan of bullet hell at all. But it’s free without iAP so if anyone wants to try: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/can-you-escape-heartbreak/id1397298417?mt=8

P. S.: Btw, played both games Unforeseen Incidents and Darkestville Castle on PC. Both are excellent classical Point’n’Click adventures. The latter was hilarious and reminded me a lot of Monkey Island 3, the first one has a good length of playing time for an adventure plus an intriguing (if a bit predictable) story!

And both games have great puzzles of course, hitting this sweet spot between not too easy but neither too hard/illogical. If anybody has as bad a PnC withdrawal as me and plays on PC too - plus wants to support those devs who definitely would deserve more sales and attention for those games - I can highly recommend the two, especially Darkestville Castle)!

3. Gambler

Mar 10, 2014
    Gazorpazorp
    #6963 Gambler, Jun 29, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
    So true :( I think the game you talk about is Escape Logan Estate where the first chapter is free and the rest is 2 or 3 bucks (what highway robbery, right ......). There were quite a few similar comments in my (small country) App Store too. This attitude is so stupid, selfish, self-righteous and literally the reason we’re stuck with so much “free 2 play” cr@p. Which should be renamed into free 2 try anyway because as good as no dev releases a game not expecting to make money off of it: Even the smallest purchases in an f2p game are more expensive than most premium titles cost as a whole and usually only buy you a tiny amount of the game’s premium currency on top of it.

F2p mechanics destroyed so many great franchises especially from the early days of the App Store. Yes, you probably can get through most of them without paying a penny but in return you usually gotta invest tons of times for grinding and other repetitive stuff which alone sucks the fun about the majority of those games for me. But with this "hand me everything for free” attitude you described alas less and less devs go the premium route. And less PnC adventures get released. After all making a PnC adventure with freemium mechanics is nearly impossible. Which is lucky on one hand but unfortunately also works to the genres detriment in the current climate.

4. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    It's possible, but I don't think so. I don't remember it actually being an adventure game, though given my wonderful memory I could very well be wrong.

As for F2P, or "free to try" (I like that, by the way) or whatever you want to call it, I find it truly amazing how much some of those in-app purchases costs. The worst part of it is that so much of it is consumable (buy 12,000 coins, just to spend them in 5 minutes), which makes absolutely no sense to me. How is that so much better than spending a few bucks for potentially hours of game play on a "pay once and done" game? But, the reality is that no matter how much we complain the concept is here to stay, as evidenced by how many of the big players are adopting the same business model. For that matter, the fact that it has creep into the PC world is enough evidence that it's the wave of the future.

5. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
  6. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Here's a trio of adventure games: The Visitor. I don't recall running across the first two before (The Visitor and The Visitor: Ep. 1), and the third (The Visitor: Ep. 2) just came out. They are free but fairly big, so make sure you have some room on your device if you try them.

7. podbud

podbud Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Here’s something I stumbled across whilst browsing the appstore. It’s priced at $7.99. Let’s wait and see shall we?

I’m not averse to that price, as long as it’s decent and has logical movement mechanics.

I just wanted to bring it to your attention.

The Eyes of Ara by 100 Stones Interactive

8. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    I couldn't find this game in the App Store, and unfortunately your link is not working for me. In fact, even looking up the developer brought up nothing more than a podcast. Anyone else have any luck finding this?

9. David1953

David1953 Well-Known Member

May 26, 2013
    I ran into the same issue, then figured out that the game is only available for Mac, and not for either iPad or iPhone.

By the way, for those interested in playing it on the PC, it is on sale on Steam right now.

10. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Here's one that came out on June 4th (sorry if it's already been mentioned): Hostil. Unfortunately it's apparently got only 30-60 minutes of game play, but I figured I'd post it just in case someone was interested.

11. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    This might be stretching the "adventure game" definition a bit, but it's the sequel to King of Dragon Pass and it looks to offer a blend of IF and other genres: Six Ages: Ride Like The Wind

12. podbud

podbud Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010

Odd. It says it will play on my ipad. It’s from an Australian dev so maybe it’s only in the AUD store?

13. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    It's possible it was a limited release for now. I found their web page, and when I clicked the link to the App Store from that page this is what I got: The Eyes Of Ara. According to this iTunes page, it's on pre-order and MAY be available on July 12.

14. Dazzlemi

Dazzlemi Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
  15. Maslan266

Maslan266 Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2017
    Fracter is also on Pre Order and is coming out on July 13. It’s kind of like LIMBO, INSIDE, and Starman. The price is $3.99

16. Teagan

Teagan Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2011
    The Rusty Lake escape games are interesting. Has anyone purchased any of their games?

17. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    I played Rusty Lake Hotel and really liked it (though I have to admit it was rather bizarre), but I have not had a chance to try any of the others yet.

18. Teagan

Teagan Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2011
    Finished it the same day I bought it....such a waste of money and very monotonous. The cube escape games are better and free:) Why is it so hard to find a decent game these days lol

19. Maslan266

Maslan266 Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2017
    Fracter is out now