List Of Adventure Games (Part 2)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by PointOfLight, May 5, 2011.

1. elvis333

elvis333 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2012
    i think loading time in cryptic kingdoms isnt great especially for a couple of specific screens. i definitely agree that loading time was a weakness in cryptic cavern but i still loved the game. the first time i picked up the chain in cryptic kingdom it did not show up in my inventory and i had to restart the game. i am now stuck on the first main puzzle but i am not looking for help - im determined to figure it out. btw, cryptic kingdoms has a built in hint system (which is a little too close to the map button)

2. Pepper2427

Pepper2427 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Wits End
    I used the chain before picking anything else up and that seems to have worked. I think the problem was two items that you pick up share the same slot. Ah well, upward and onward (enjoying it so far)

3. Is it faster than Caverns, at least?
    Cryptic Keep never bothered me, but Caverns...my god.

4. Pepper2427

Jan 11, 2011
    Wits End
    Most screen changes are pretty quick and you are not really waiting for things to load. There are some screen changes that take a bit longer but still not enough to impact on play

5. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Well that's debatable. I just wanted to make sure I could read a web site okay :)

6. Downloading now. :)
    Not sure I'll have time to play much before I head out, though.

7. I'll say one thing -- I'm glad to see it picks up where Cryptic Keep left off. Isn't that what we were all wishing for? I had no idea this was even in the works -- I thought he was working on a space version.

8. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    That's all I needed to hear. I'm downloading it now. I'm just going to have to delete a thing or two off my device, because I have some pretty big stuff on there right now. Has anyone tried it on an iPad? I wonder if it looks okay stretched out or not.

9. The HD version should be good for iPad, I would think.

I am getting a bit frustrated again with the spinning wheel. But I'll just have to play when I have more time to give it, so hopefully I won't be as impatient.

10. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    It's HD, but not universal. Not sure how much of a difference it makes, but that's why I asked. Guess I'll just have to try it on my iPad since my iPod Touch is pretty full anyway.

11. Not sure what you mean. The HD version works on my iPhone. And isn't it supposed to work on the iPad? Isn't that, by definition, universal?

12. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Nope. HD is just a label to define the level of graphics in the application. It is compatible with the iPad, which means it should run on it without problems, but to be "universal" means the binary contains images specially tailored to each device, and if you run it on the iPad you won't have to use the 2x mode to view the game full screen. When you look on AppShopper it will actually tell you that the game is universal, and in iTunes there will be a little gray and white plus with a phrase like "this app is designed for both iPhone and iPad".

13. Interesting. So who is the regular version for? Folks with older iPhones? Seems odd to cater to devices that are quickly being phased out. I can understand having an iPhone version and Universal version, but two iPhone versions doesn't make sense to me.

14. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Yeah, I was kind of scratching my head on that one as well. My first thought was that maybe the HD version would become universal at some point, but if you look at Cryptic Caverns he did the same thing on the iPhone side, and there is a separate iPad version as well. That being the case you might be dead on - the non-hd version might be for folks with older devices. These devices might be getting phased out, but that doesn't mean there isn't a strong user base that will push their devices as long as they can. I guess if there's not that much more effort in making two versions, why not?

15. Well, it means it'll be harder for them to climb the charts, since each app is counted separately. He's dividing his sales.
    I don't think i noticed the HD version for Caverns and may have just bought the regular version :/

16. paul.hendricks

paul.hendricks Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2009
    State of Confusion!!
    Devices before the iPhone 4 and iPod Touch 4th gen did not have any type of retina display and were considered SD.

17. paul.hendricks

paul.hendricks Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2009
    State of Confusion!!
  18. Pepper2427

Jan 11, 2011
    Wits End
  19. GlitchGames

GlitchGames Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2012
    Game Developer