List Of Adventure Games (Part 2)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by PointOfLight, May 5, 2011.

1. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Okay, I'll be the guinea pig (or is that rubber chicken???) By the way, the name of the game is "Chicken Raid" :D

2. paul.hendricks

paul.hendricks Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2009
    State of Confusion!!
    #4102 paul.hendricks, Aug 21, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
    Wow, I skip the forum for a while and it explodes with Angry Bird Fury!

I do agree with Eric's earlier post, FDG's products, while sometimes derivative, are always good quality. Look at Blueprint 3D HD for a game that is really unusual, yet fun. Link is to AppShopper.

I've attached the YouTube intro video from the game. It looks pretty fun.

3. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    I've spent some time with Chicken Raid, completing the first world of 24 levels and making it to level 10 so far on world 2. I really like it. The comparisons to Angry Birds are that (1) it features birds, though as antagonists rather than protagonists, and (2) you must destroy them all. There is no flinging of anything, however. Instead you must tap objects like wood and ice to break them up and cause chain reactions to dispose of everything. There's no question that if you want to consider Angry Birds the grandaddy of physics games that this one was inspired by it, even down to a nutty sense of humor. But it definitely stands well of it's own volition. If you like this sort of game I would certainly recommend giving it a try.

4. kendahlj

kendahlj Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    The only real problem is that it's not an adventure game. I'm sure there are other forums that a shill could have gone into to promote their game, and if I'd developed a game I'd want to too. And adventure game can be a loose term... But just imagine what this thread will become if everyone with a game comes in here and says "hey check out this game...it's got adventure."

Just my two cents...

5. paul.hendricks

Jul 30, 2009
    State of Confusion!!
    #4105 paul.hendricks, Aug 21, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
    Absolutely true. These are the discussions that we sometimes get into that add enjoyment (and for me value) to the forum. We've expanded well beyond just the "adventure" category in certain discussions, but overall I think we stick pretty well to the core. For me, if we stuck to just discussing adventure games and never varied or allowed variance, a lot of the charm, personality, function, and fun of the group/forum would be lost.

6. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    True, but that doesn't mean it should automatically be branded a bad game. And, even though this is main an adventure game thread, we do bring up games of other genres from time to time, especially if they are published by Big Fish Games. I think the real big problem was that this was a post from someone who doesn't post here regularly. At least, I hope the response wouldn't have been quite as severe had I posted about it, for example ;)

7. kendahlj

kendahlj Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    The poster had two posts so I am assuming an account was created specifically to promote the game. I never said it was a bad game...I enjoy all types of games and yes, I even like Angry Birds (gulp). I see both points made and agree that varied discussions is good for any thread.

Has anyone played City of Secrets? It's on sale...

8. Teagan

Teagan Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2011
    Yes! This was my point! The poster wasn't trying to contribute to the thread but rather spam the thread in effort to promote the game which I find incredibly rude. I don't care what game it was, it's the principle.:)

I've played City of Secrets. It wasn't a fav and I ended up deleting. Then again I'm very picky and lack patience:) have you played Chateau? Stiill #1 on my list. Lol

9. elvis333

elvis333 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2012
    I definitely recommend city of secrets. It is difficult and sometimes convoluted, but it is really well made and has funny, challenging puzzles. I think it is really underrated and is probably in my top 3 for original ios games. It also is a pretty big game which is nice - too many games are just "snacks" and just when you get going it's over. My main problem with the game is that while the graphics are crisp and a very high resolution some things are really small and hard to see on my ipod. That type of "challenge" (finding small things on the screen) just annoys me. The humor is odd and very English, but again a very well put together game. A sequel is coming out soon.

10. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Sadly I didn't get very far into it, but I enjoyed what I played. I do plan on revisiting it some day, though, because I think it will be lots of fun.

I know I really need to stop belaboring this point, and I completely understand your "principle", but on the other hand, is it fair to punish the developer because of some rogue poster? Chances are real good the FDG Entertainment didn't ask that guy to spam our thread with his post, and you might actually be missing out on a fun game because of it. Of course, I mean that in a general sense, because Chicken Raid specifically might not be your type of game. Just sayin' :rolleyes:

11. As for City of Secrets, I definitely recommend that one. Very playful storyline and script. I especially liked the video at the end, and I wouldn't delete the game from my phone for a good long time in case I felt like watching that video again lol. Finally realized that was silly, as I desperately needed the space.

If you like story-driven games with plenty of cheesy (in a good way) dialogue, you should enjoy it.

12. Teagan

Teagan Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2011
    No need to stop belaboring this point lol I figured that the poster was associated with and/or was the developer. I didn't even look at who the developer was....With only 2 posts I figured the poster signed up in order to spam. I guess in a situation such as that, I would lose out if the game was actually decent:) However, that is why I have you to point(no pun intended) out everything I may have missed due to shrugging off as spam:)

13. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    So I grabbed Animalia while it's still free. It kind of fits into the whole Highlights things we were talking about, because instead of being like the hidden object games we're used to from BFG you just go from one scene to the next and find a small list of items. What's cool is that the pictures are all themed by the letters of the alphabet, so everything you have to find in the first picture begins with an A, etc. The game isn't bad, but I think I'd like the iPad version a whole lot better. On the plus side it does let you zoom and scroll the screen, but you have to zoom in so much and scroll so often that you don't really get to appreciate the pictures. Then you only get six items per screen, and you have to find them in order. Now I suppose you might be able to play through again and get different items to hunt for, but I didn't get that much into it to find out.

14. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    You guys have been awfully quiet lately. Here's a new HdO game: Time Trap HdO. Of course I just noticed that it was from the same developers that made Zombie Attack, which I did not like at all, but it still looks cool :rolleyes:

15. paul.hendricks

Jul 30, 2009
    State of Confusion!!
    Department 42: Mysteries of the Nine HD (also iPhone) from G5 is out, as is BFG's Hidden Wonders of the Deep 3: Atlantis Adventures HD (also iPhone) and Mysteries of the Ancients: Lockwood Manor Collector's Edition HD (also iPhone).

HWOTD3 is a match-3/chain/hidden object game, the others are standard BFG adventures. Links and impressions later this week.

Have a great night!

16. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    So, no impressions of "Edna and Harvey"? Looks quite interesting and I have heard good things about the German version of the PC original.

17. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Department 42: The Mystery Of The Nine
    Department 42: The Mystery Of The Nine HD
    Mystery Of The Ancients: Lockwood Manor Collectors Edition
    Mystery Of The Ancients: Lockwood Manor Collector's Edition
    Hidden Wonders Of The Depths 3: Atlantis Adventures
    Hidden Wonders Of The Depths 3: Atlantis Adventures HD

18. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Check back to posts 4052 and 4053. Both Paul and I posted some comments on the game.