List Of Adventure Games (Part 2)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by PointOfLight, May 5, 2011.

1. Teagan

Teagan Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2011
  2. Teagan

Teagan Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2011
    I tried leaving a review for Train 02 but it wouldn't let me. Very strange bc most times it does allow me to leave reviews regardless if I was given a code. :confused:

3. Hmm, I'm surprised to hear that. As a developer I thought a lite version unlockable using in-app purchases would be ideal for adventure games (that's why we went that way with Five magical amulets Lite). The players test the game freely, and if they decide to unlock the full game, their progress is retained. Otherwise I don't think it's possible to easily transfer saved games from lite to full version.

In-app purchases allow the developer to "restore previous transactions", so if the game is programmed right, it should present this option to the player in case they reinstalled the game or they are using a different device.

I'm sorry you were having problems with the feature, I hope it's more stable these days... *crosses fingers*

I suppose it depends on how the game is done. If the game already contains all the data and the IAP only unlocks it, it shouldn't be a problem. But if the game needs to download additional data, it's handled entirely by the developer, I'm afraid. App Store doesn't support this so the dev needs to host the donwloadable data on their own servers. App Store only handles the initial download and the purchases.

4. TheMoonwalls

TheMoonwalls Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2010
  5. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    So if I understand you correctly, you're saying that a developer implemented "restore" is simply for downloaded data content and has nothing to do with IAP, right?

6. Actually there is restore for IAP as well. The app can ask the App Store to re-send all previous successful purchases of the user. So for example on a new device the app can unlock previously purchased content. But again, this only deals with financial transactions. If the app needs to download additional content, it has to handle it by itself.

7. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Gotcha, and I appreciate you taking the time to explain all of this. I'm planning on getting into this one of these days myself (the development, not necessarily IAP), and it's always good to have as much information as possible.

8. Teagan

Teagan Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2011
  9. TheMoonwalls

Nov 8, 2010
    Take the camera and "Do not disturb" sign from the bed. Then lick the corpse, and take the medallion. Use button to leave, and put the sign on the door. Then you can go.

10. Teagan

Teagan Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2011
    #370 Teagan, Aug 12, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
    Can't. It says waitress will be bringing drinks any moment and the text won't move to allow me to see anything but the door or walls. Can't get to inventory etc. There is an arrow in upper right but it only let's me go back and forth from wall view to door view.

I restarted game and it worked. May want to look at that glitch :) the text bar is a tad high preventing one to see camera.

11. TheMoonwalls

Nov 8, 2010
    The text is still there? It should be off when you touch it. I don't have this bug on my iPhone, maybe try to restart the game. Your actual progress is saved under Auto-Save slot.

12. Pepper2427

Pepper2427 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Wits End
    Lick the corpse!!!!!!!

Couldn't wait until I went on holiday and I have now finished it. Got stuck a few times but I did enjoy it. Had a bit of an issue with the text sometimes. Sometimes it wouldn't go away no matter where I pressed. It seemed to do a really quick double tap and then I became stuck. I usually tapped the bottom right hand corner to take me to the menu then press back and it righted itself. But this didn't take away from the gameplay. Loading time was a bit slow in places but the puzzles were great and the story followed on nicely. BUT it has left me wanting more and I don't know how I will wait for the next part

13. TheMoonwalls

Nov 8, 2010
    Glad you like it :) You're right, it seems that the texts block themselves if you tap twice too quick. Next episode should be available in December :)

14. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Right Topic, Wrong OS

Sorry that this isn't actually iOS related, but if you're a true adventure game fan and you have the money, this is something you won't want to miss. GOG is selling all of their Zork titles for 40% off this weekend. From the looks of it, I think they actually have all the Zork games that were made. Here's the link: Zork sale at GOG. If you've never experienced the series at all, I'd suggest at least getting the anthology, which includes Zork I, II and II, as well as Beyond Zork, Zork Zero and Planetfall??? Some of the best adventuring you'll ever do, if you can handle the fact that most of the anthology doesn't have any graphics :) Thanks for indulging me here.

15. Teagan

Teagan Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2011
    #375 Teagan, Aug 13, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
    Sounds very familiar. There was also another game I played on our first Apple computer that I am trying to think of. I loved it! I remember having to find garlic to keep away vampires etc. Total flashback! Unfortunately the Zork games look like they are for Windows only.

HOLY COW! Zork is the game I was referring to above!!!! when I looked at the screenshots with all text it hit me! I didn't realize at first bc they showed graphics on one of the games. I swear I played it on an apple back in the day but could be confusing that w the first IBM desktop we got. Most likely it was an IBM bc I remember playing in the basement and the Apple was upstairs. Zork is what got me hooked on adventure games!!! I must have been in 5th grade or so. Wow!! Thanks for the link!!

16. Teagan

Teagan Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2011
    Just finished Golden Trails which of course went on sale today. My luck, go figure. It's a nice hidden object game that I was able to put down and pick up again. Usually I'm so into a game that I'm unable to play anything else. Lechuzza is also on sale today for $0.99.

Does anyone have any other recommendations? I really enjoyed Nightmare Adventures:The Witches Prison. Other than the fact that it listed as free the day it came out but charged me, the actual game was excellent. I liked the fact that you could skip mini puzzles/games immediately vs waiting a certain period of time. It could use a decent hint system and/info on how to play some of the puzzles. Graphics and storyline were terrific! It's definitely on the top of my list. ;)

I deleted Treasure Island bc it lacked decent hints and the parrot would not shut up. There was a glitch causing me to have to close and start the game over in order to stop talking to the bird lol

Has any more new games come out??

17. TheMoonwalls

Nov 8, 2010
    Did you managed to finish The Train episode 02? Any feedback? :)

18. Pepper2427

Pepper2427 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Wits End
    I was all set to buy Lechuza as it's on sale but I am on holiday and can't downloaf it over wifi, haven't got the laptop and I can't connect to the App Store over the wifi in the local restaurant. Need the sale to last til next Saturday but I can't see that happening

19. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    How about Herod's Lost Tomb? It's a new HoG from National Geographic. This is the link to the iPhone version, but there's also one for iPad.

20. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA