iPad Lion's Play Lite (Free) Strategy Game for iPhone and iPod touch released

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ooftish, Jun 1, 2009.

1. ooftish

ooftish Member

May 18, 2009
  2. mek

mek Well-Known Member

any video of gameplay, or description, or? I dont really click on external links nowadays...maybe i'm lazy

3. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    This is a strategy game that seems a bit like checkers... you have to place pieces and capture the opponent before he captures you or you run out of moves.

I've been playing it for a while and sometimes it doesn't let me move to an empty space... can you do a more thorough writeup of the rules or is that maybe a bug?

4. ooftish

ooftish Member

May 18, 2009
    Which game table you have got that error? If you can reference, I will fix it in next release.
    One need to place all bets then only Lions or Buffaloes can move

5. ooftish

ooftish Member

May 18, 2009
    Help:

There are only few rules to this game:
    1. you can not move until all pieces have been placed.
    2. you can only move one point at a time.
    3. Lions can kill buffaloes, but buffaloes can't kill lions.
    4. Lions can kill only one buffalo at a time.

The game always starts with the lions making the first move. Depending on the type and level of the game the number of lions and buffaloes vary. This information is available by the information displayed at the top left and right corners.
    C - Computer
    H- Human
    Tx - total of x lions or buffaloes available.
    Py- y lions or buffaloes have been placed.
    Kz - z buffaloes are killed.
    Place - you can only place when there the number placed is less than Total.
    Move - you can start moving the lions and buffaloes after all the pieces are placed.

Lions win when:
    1. the lions kill all the buffaloes or
    2. the buffaloes don't have any place to move.

Buffaloes win when they have restricted all lions without any place to move.

Fixed point move rule:

For any given shape, if there are "X" places available to place a pawn, then there are 2X moves available for each side. For example the Star has 10 places you can place/move a pawn. So there are a total of 20 moves for Lions, and 20 moves for buffaloes.
    After 40 moves:
    1. If the lions have not killed any buffaloes, then the games is declared as a draw.
    2. If the lions have managed to kill even one buffalo, then the lions are declared a winner.

This version include 18 games, each with a different shape. There are levels of difficulty - Junior, Senior and Expert. The ratio of Buffaloes to Lions has been kept in between 3 to 5.

Game Background:
    Lion's play is based on "Puli Judam" - Gamble of tigers. This game is from the rural areas of Andhra Pradesh. This game is also known as "Adu Puli" from the Tamil Nadu and with various names from other parts of India. Traditionally this game is based on Lions and goats. For this particular version of the game I have adapted to use Lions and Buffaloes to appeal to a wider audience.

This game is famous in rural parts of India. Farmers used to relax by playing this game after the day's hard work. I used to watch my father play this game over his shoulder. He taught me to play this game. I have spent the last couple of months to bring this hidden gem from India to the world. I hope you enjoy this game.

Lion's Play Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DA9dKGQcYS8
    App Store Link: http://itunes.com/apps/LionsPlayLite
    Support: http://www.ooftish.com

Have Fun:

Ravi

6. ooftish

ooftish Member

May 18, 2009
    Wow. Lion's Play Lite is 73 rd rank in Board Games and 95 th rank in Strategy Games. Good start..

7. ooftish

ooftish Member

May 18, 2009
  8. cookiemonster

cookiemonster Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    i think these types of games translate well into what the iphone can do. thanks for the post

9. "Goats defend themselves from tigers by being moved into such a position that a tiger cannot jump over them. This means the goats must not leave an open space behind them into which a tiger can jump. "

This is from another website. I downloaded lite version awhile ago but didn't get around it till now. Played two games and had no clue what was going on. Anyway, now that I know what is going on off to play more and see if I can get into this strategic game.

Would be helpful to mention: Lions kill buffalo by jumping a buffalo like in checkers. Buffalo can defend themselves by putting two buffalo in a row to prevent them from getting killed.

10. ooftish

ooftish Member

May 18, 2009
    That's true.
    Would be helpful to mention: Lions kill buffalo by jumping a buffalo like in checkers. Buffalo can defend themselves by putting two buffalo in a row to prevent them from getting killed.

If you find any bugs let me know.
    Thanks

Ravi

11. k3v1nrulls

k3v1nrulls Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2009
    sounds interesting

12. The more I play this the more I'm end up getting draws. Is this game known for lots of draws?

13. ooftish

ooftish Member

May 18, 2009
    There is a inherent infinite looping problem in these kind board games. To over this issue I have added fixed point move rule.

Fixed Point Move Rule
    Buffaloes need to finish up game in 4 times of total positions on model.

In star we have 10 positions Buffaloes need to finish up in 40 steps (which is includes 20 steps from Lions & 20 from Buffaloes)

After 40 steps if none of Buffaloes are killed then game will be called draw. If any of the Buffaloes are killed then Lions awarded the game.

Buffaloes Win:

Buffaloes need to restrict movement of all the Lions. Then Buffaloes win the game.

Lion's Win:

If Lion's restrict movement of Buffaloes

Do think any improvement in draw situations ?
    Did you played as a Lion or Buffalo ?

I will make more tests to avoid this situation.. :)

Thanks

Ravi
    http://www.ooftish.com