Linking to your app using in program email

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Sense Field, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Sense Field

Sense Field Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Some of these questions maybe be basic but I am not the programer...I am the artist/marketing/PR guy. I apologize in advance if this question is basic.

What I am doing is linking to my app in an email that my program will send out.

My question is this...

How do I generate that link and is it possible to generate that link before the app is released or do I have update the app later with that information?

Is it possible to send an email without exiting my program or bringing up the email on screen.

Basically I want to have the user pick someone out of their contacts in my program...and then, in program hit a button that sends the email "blindly" with predetermined email content, without the user being interrupted by the mail application opening.

Any information is appreciated.

2. lithiastudios

lithiastudios Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2009
    So you have an iPhone app you've made that you want to have the ability to send a link to that iPhone app's App Store page via email?

Unfortunately, I think Apple would frown on emails being sent blindly, I have a hunch they would feel that it intrudes on existing functionality with the Mail application. So if your app did this, there might be a chance it could be rejected.. but I could be wrong..

3. StandAlone

StandAlone Member

Jan 28, 2009
    Chicago
    You can't send emails directly from your app (in iPhone OS 2.x) unless you write your own SMTP client (no small chore). The best you can do is use a mailto: URL and drop out to the built-in Mail client.

B