iPad Limon's Epic Quest (Castlevania type game) for iphone/ipodtouch

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by strivemind, Sep 14, 2012.

1. strivemind

strivemind Well-Known Member

2. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & Translator
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Thanks for the vid... Think I'm gonna wait to pick this up... Looks like there's still some issues that need to be addressed. =o/

3. foxmulderino

foxmulderino Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Student
    Italy
    can't be captured by the graphics compartment...:confused:

4. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Anyone up to TOFTT?

5. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Well, the dev was kind enough to send me a promo code for having given feedback on the upcoming thread, so im gonna ease up on this.

As you see on the screenies, the graphics arent the best, and it even looks like they were done in paint. The animations arent too good either, and they look like 2 to 3 frame animations. There are bugs with collision detection that you cant fall as long as you are touching the side of the edge of a platform. There are other things that i find which i need need more work, but at this point, this isnt getting a recommendation from me.

6. anada

anada Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Lol@ the dev rating this 5 stars

7. sakara214ever

sakara214ever Well-Known Member

May 10, 2012
    Whoops! For a minute i thought i was seeing screens from a 1986 game. Staying away from that.

8. ninjackid

May 27, 2010
    The dev was kind enough to provide me with a promo code, and EP's impressions are pretty doggone right.

I played a couple levels and it's not a terrible game, but it's just lacking some polish. With a couple tweaks it could be pretty fun! Got some potential for sure, but as it is, it's playable, but not perfect.

9. @Pixelpower

Any chance on making the game universal? It's hard to play in 2x mode because the buttons are so big on my ipad. The gameplay is ok, i still think you could a graphic artist to team up with, but I do like this game better than your past attempts at casual games.

10. ibmurai

ibmurai Well-Known Member

Wow this sure is ugly. Some gfx artists will make gfx if you just have a finished game with placeholder gfx, as this seems to be, for a percentage of the income. The income would prolly be a lot more with real gfx...

11. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Hmmm. I do want to like it but it needs work. Enemies get stuck. A few times I thought I was going to die but somehow walked on an invisible platform to survive

It's made with a game maker program as well which is a bit off putting. No options on the menu either which looks bare

Remember it's all constructive criticism. If we all said 5/5 it's perfect it won't help

12. bigsid

bigsid Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Was this game made by a 10 year old? If so, I laud the effort.

If not, it's a hilariously awful effort at a game. This and the Tiny Wings ripoff by the same dev look like they have been hand drawn by an elementary school student. 'Limon' instead of 'Simon'- wow...

13. bknifefight

bknifefight Member

Jul 31, 2012
    #13 bknifefight, Sep 17, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
    Suggestions

I cannot say for sure, not knowing how your code works, but here is what it looks like to me.

The enemies are getting stuck for a few reasons. The first is your collision detection. I take it that the actual shape of the enemy is what is "colliding." With the arms outstretched, they are very easy to get caught on a platform edge when they fall. Consider having an invisible rectangle around the enemy which will act as the collider. That way, they will not get stuck on their arms.

Second, the thickness of your platforms looks like it could be a problem as well. I'm sure you have them that thickness for ascetics, but consider having the actual platform much thinner with an object over top of it that serves no function than to look like the platform.

A lot of people are complaining about the graphics and animations. One simple change you can make to improve things is, look at the "action spot" in the animations of the standing/walking verses that of the attack. It is out of line so when doing the attack animation, your character seems to "jump" backwards and when it is done, he "jumps" forward again to the standing/walking. This action spot is also a problem when turning from left to right. The character "jumps" quite a distance, probably because you simply flipped the sprites, which also flipped the action spot.

Next I would look at your level structure/design and look at old Castlevania games. These games are a really great basis and I think you can create something really cool if you take notes to what made these games classics.

Good luck!

14. Sri Ram

Sri Ram Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Had high expectations when I saw "castlevania type" in the title, but I'm disappointed when I saw the screens/read the impressions.

15. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & Translator
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Now, I know the 10 year old comment was uncalled for, but talking like this will do nothing but hurt yourself...

16. shawnbuddy

shawnbuddy Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2012
    This is all right as a project, but it needs a lot of work before it's something many people are going to pay money for.

It's full of bugs and design issues, like the fact that moving platforms try to buck your guy off, that enemies get stuck on platforms, that your guy sometimes gets saved by what seem to be invisible platforms, that you can just jump over the heads of the Knights and bypass them without penalty, that you can get hurt when using magic, that there's no system to keep you from quickly draining a lifebar on one enemy, that sometimes you seem to freeze right at the start of the level while an enemy runs into you and drains your life.

The levels are also too simply designed, a straightforward run to a door with a few moving platforms in between isn't going to scratch a Castlevania itch.

It's also a very short game. I blew through it in about 15 minutes, most of that spent dying repeatedly because of glitches or design issues. To be fair I did jump over all the Knights because they are no fun to fight.

And of course the art, music, and animation could use a lot of work. It's annoying that Limon kicks his legs when he's jumping.

The controls and the UI could be jazzed up a lot, too. They work okay but are a little hard to hit on iPad.

The last boss was a step in the right direction, though. A slightly more complex pattern and more interesting sprite.

Despite my criticism I'd encourage you to keep trying and develop your potential.

17. ninjackid

May 27, 2010
    This is a pretty great summary of the game. Might take a bit of work, but there's a lot of potential here! :)

18. bknifefight

bknifefight Member

Jul 31, 2012
    I would also look into the smoothness of the animations. Something like this would be a good basis:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Balloon Loons

Balloon Loons Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2012
    Yea a few things need to be fixed like the other guys said.

Jumping and getting stuck. Both for enemies and hero.

The buttons. The buttons should stand out more and their icons should match what their function is. Like for jump you can use an up pointing arrow.

Platforms are too much like background. Their are hard to see at times. Change platform colors to stand out.

The mega power should be at like opacity 50%. It blocks the screen way too much.

Enemies should walk in not fall in to view. Makes me think a high platform is coming up if they fall towards me.

That's it for now.

20. bknifefight

bknifefight Member

Jul 31, 2012
    What happened to the creator's posts? He must have deleted them all, in both threads too. I just updated this game (I used a promo code) and checked the App Store. It has all 5 star reviews lol They must be friends and family of the creator.