Lima Sky bringing down the hammer.. [update: Lima Sky responds, withdraws the notice]

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by robotsvswizards.com, Jan 11, 2011.

1. robotsvswizards.com

robotsvswizards.com Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2010
    Game Development, Music
    CA, USA
    ... pretty sure you already did though :p

in all seriousness....
    I can see where you are coming from if the word pigeon holed the 12 doodle jump knock offs.

These days using the word doodle in a game is like using the word "quest" or "adventure" in your title.

I think if anything Lima Sky should feel proud that they played a part in starting an entire genre (notice i said played a part, all be a major a part)

I think there is more to be made for them in the long run by embracing it rather than trying to claim all the revenue made by it.

2. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Next thing we know someone claims trademark on the word 'Fart'.

3. Kimosabi

Kimosabi Member

Apr 26, 2010
    Not cool Lima Sky, not cool.

4. TrueAxis

TrueAxis Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2009
    I've lost all respect for them...

5. poutini

poutini Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Student
    Calgary
    this is a little ridiculous coming from the guys who flexed a shaky interpretation of intellectual property from the get-go.

man up, lima sky. you didn't invent the genre.

6. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    lol, somehow i always hated this game and the fact that such so so game is on the top of appstore.

7. Intruder_qcc

Intruder_qcc Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Senior Analyst-programmer
    St-Hubert (Quebec), Canada
    Ohhh but it already has... @headcase game earlier in this thread said he was going to do so. While @noreagle said he was going to tm the word Zombie.

Me I'll be even more cruel, i'll patent oxygen and how people breath... so anyone that take a breath will owe me $$$ if they don't well if it will their last breath :D:p.

I love those patent in the US, its full of total none sense and lawyer with glee in their eyes are profiting from it!

8. LBG

LBG SeƱor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    This is crazy. I didn't like Doodle Jump much in the first place, but now I've lost all respect for Lima Sky. If they come out with any more games, I won't be buying them unless they stand down and give an apology.

9. gelas_plastik

gelas_plastik Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2009
    seriously, i never like doodle jump .. game like this, sitting on top of appstore totally void the actual capabilities of my itouch ..

to me those guy just lucky .. they not really a great dev .. it just happened that their idea of jumping game is being shared and loved by many ..

and by trying to secure the word 'doodle' really does show that they are not a great dev .. their also not a very smart people ..

10. Serpentdivine

Serpentdivine Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2010
    What a Crock

Lima Sky didn't invent the jumping style game OR the doodle concept. This is a very sleazy move and it means I won't be buying any of their products in the future.

P.S. Doodle has become an extraordinarily irritating cliche regardless.

11. gelas_plastik

gelas_plastik Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2009
    Imagine the lawsuit that going to fall to developer of Zombie Doodle Fart ..

12. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

Step One: Create a Company called "Lama Sky"
    Step Two: Make "Dooodle Juump"

13. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    #113 don_k, Jan 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
    Ahhhh too bad. Well then I'll tm the word VS so say bye to plants VS trees or zebras VS zombies!

14. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Yeah, exactly. They're trying to claim ownership of something they didn't invent or own.

I've been saying Doodle Jump is a Papi Jump rip-off but people never cared until this happened. Anyway Papi Jump devs must be some really nice guys as otherwise they would've made stupid lawsuit like this.

15. Mod Monkeys

Mod Monkeys Member

Jan 8, 2011
    #115 Mod Monkeys, Jan 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
    Just some random link...
    http://forums.create.msdn.com/forums/t/64871.aspx

All in all I actually have to thank Lima Sky. I love the new look of my game Birdy Bounce as I replaced the stupid doodle art style with something beautiful and individual. I will also release Birdy Bounce in the Mac App Store and iOS as the feedback I received for the new visual art and the feeling of the game on WP7 has been that positive. Who knows, maybe I would never had such a huge success with the old art style.

16. TrueAxis

TrueAxis Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2009
    I think Lima Sky are trying to protect their one shot wonder and milk it for what it is worth. Judging by their previous games, I don't think they will ever come up with another App like Doodle Jump again.

17. uberarcade

uberarcade Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2009
    Software Developer
    Nashville
    I was a fan of Lima Sky because I saw them as one of the Indie Dev success stories. Where did this attack on other devs come from? What a douche bag. He is just a one hit wonder who will hopefully end up giving all of his money to lawyers and end up broke.

18. mehware

mehware Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Boooooooooooooo Lima Sky is thumbs down.

EDIT - no, two thumbs down!

19. septimus

septimus Member

May 13, 2009
    Hopefully EA will release a game with doodle in the title and rip Lima Sky's colon out through their nose in court.