Lima Sky bringing down the hammer.. [update: Lima Sky responds, withdraws the notice]

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by robotsvswizards.com, Jan 11, 2011.

1. farley

farley Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    Exactly. The character used to be called the Doodler. Period. That's it. Nothing more. I remember the name very well.
    He was not called Doodle The Doodler from the beginning (as he is now referred to in the App-Store description). This is a recent change.
    Not only that, but also have a look at games such as Parachute Panic, where the character has a guest appearance. In the How To Play section in that game, he is referred to simply as the Doodler, and I'm fairly certain that the publishers of Parachute Panic would have had to use the full and correct name that he was known by, at the time, and that name was just the Doodler.

2. antony.thai

antony.thai Well-Known Member

Just came back after a long holidays and really shock with this news. So far, Doodle Jumps is definitely great to me, but somehow I don't have the respect at Lima Sky as I see this as their luck only cos if a good game studio can not be great if they only win just 1 titles, the rest games of Lima Sky are all the same game with only the different skins..., if I was them, having 1 success game then I will start creating some mores to serve peoples that already supports me to have that success. But here, I saw another sad story, this way is really nasty and make no sense to me. I don't really care if the "Doodle" is owned by someone, yes, I can find another name for my game, the most important thing is that my game will be going to be famous because of it gameplay, not because of the name. Lima Sky got it soo wrong of what a great game should be.

(sorry for my bad english :) )

3. fayju

fayju Well-Known Member

If every one did that that would be hilarious. Thinking up some simple concepts. Or at least side line a name with a new app in your account.

Its all crazy this, I saw the link to the thread on 148apps. It does seem very much like bullying.
    Just before xmas I made a 5 star review for doodle jump christmas edition in response to all the 1 star reviews (in the UK) saying that LimaSky were greedy, from a dev point of view. I feel like a bit of an idiot now. I hope that if one day I gain their kind of success that I don't turn on those still striving to make good games and get noticed.
    I guess I just don't understand why, almost 2 years on, they don't make a new title. I was working as a online games developer when doodle jump first came out, its the same format as a lot of online flash jumping games that have been online for years prior to this. I never saw it as something "new" but the sensitivity and use of the accelerometer was spot on.

depressing.

4. antony.thai

Nope, after 2 years, they introduce Doodle Jump Christmas Special, that's kinda new however. ;)

5. fayju

fayju Well-Known Member

And I downloaded it and reviewed it with 5 stars.
    its pretty much the same game with a different name. I stood up for that though at the time.
    It does seem that all this time, money and effort spent on potentially removing other peoples apps is all time, money and effort that could be spent on making something new rather than fighting a losing battle and ruining their credibility.
    They were one of the champions after all.

6. Mobile Amusements

Mobile Amusements Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2009
    Mobile & Indie Games Developer
    United Kingdom
    #86 Mobile Amusements, Jan 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
    I created and own the Amiga/Atari IP 'Doodlebug' since 1992 so fail to see how on those grounds alone how anybody could 'drop the hammer' on the mark 'Doodle' after me and no doubt many others before too?

http://hol.abime.net/389

Currently we are porting 'Doodlebug' to iPhone/iPad/WP7.

[​IMG]

I have since writen to Lima Sky directly today with reference to this entire thread.

Adrian Cummings
    www.mobileamusements.com

7. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Off topic - that looks a great game, glad to see it's being ported.

On topic - when you say you wrote the 'them' directly, is that Apple or Lima?

8. Mobile Amusements

Mobile Amusements Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2009
    Mobile & Indie Games Developer
    United Kingdom
  9. lepeos

lepeos Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Isn't Doodle Jump just a rip off of a game PapiJump or something? Seems these guys are combining greed with stupidity.

10. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Exactly.

11. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Tim Langdell 2.0

12. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Meh. The word Doodle in your game name is more than enough to make sure I dont even check it out. So its prolly a good thing I guess :p

Its quite a bit different. Unlike langdell, its Lima sky who made the the word Doodle popular and the game is still selling well enough after well over a year. Most of the devs using this word for their appstore game name are only doing this coz of DJ's popularity. So while I'm not saying Lima sky is doing the right thing here, its not comparable with tim langdell. Not even any where close to it :rolleyes:

13. #93 micpringle, Jan 12, 2011
    @ImNoSuperMan

I'd actually argue that the word 'doodle' is used to describe the graphical style of many of the games that choose to use it. Hence Apple once having a category based on it. Infact that very style that Lima Sky used is infact plagiarised, taken directly from Elise Gravel's Doodle Garage illustrations (oh no, there's that word again).

Doodle Jump = Doodle Garage + PapiJump or in other words is the epitome of plagiarism, and yet Lima Sky have the audacity and hypocrisy to chase any other developer for using the word the doodle - pathetic.

14. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    #94 ImNoSuperMan, Jan 12, 2011
    I didnt say they are doing the right thing here. All I disagreed with was the comparison with langdell which don_k made.

And while it is definitely used to describe the graphical style of a game, I think there isnt much doubt left behind the popularity of "Doodle" as your game name. Had it not been for DJ's popularity, we wouldnt have seen so many Doodle games in appstore today. Whats funny is that majority of them are crap anyways. Anyone using the word doodle now is pretty much proving their lack of creativity/originality IMO. As I already said, doodle in your game name is more than enough to dismiss a game as crap for me now.

15. antony.thai

I only partly agree with you this, I am in fact love doodle art style very much and while seeing lot of crappy games are out with "Doodle", there're still something really creative, polish and worth trying (like: Doodle Fit, Doodle Army, We Doodle), what look doesn't make any sense here is that why Lima fear about other indie developer using "Doodle" in the name, I don't know if I'm abnormal or guys in Lima Sky are.. but I definitely don't understand their action.

As a indie developer, I have to worry also if from now on, game with Doodle art style may can not use "doodle" even as a key work as well, it's very ridiculous, what is all game developers are going to do the registration of their game name so how can other cool names can be born?

Let get back of the story of StoneLoop was removed because of some words of Luxor's creator, can Papi Jumps maker send Apple an email and ask to remove Doodle Jumps because of the "reference" gameplay?

For god, please do consider this decision Lima Sky, I have no bad impact of this because I have no fear on this ridiculous thing but I want to save your name guys! We're all make game for gamer, not only for revenue! And the most important thing is that while talking about Doodle Jump, we're all talking about Lima Sky's game, you didn't create "Doodle" word so please don't make Zesus have to cry for this human greedddd.

Big Thanks!

16. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    ++++1

17. crazygambit

crazygambit Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2010
    At least Langdell was the holder of the trademarks he was fighting (fraudulent as they were, he at least had them awarded). Lima Sky doesn't even hold the trademark for "Doodle" and probably never will.

They are both trademark trolls, no doubt about it.

18. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    Who wants to make a game called "doodle hop"? you hop on different colored platforms and you kill monster!

Also I guarentee that this was lima skys new years resalution.

Also some girl is going to walk up to one of th workers there and be like "hey what have you accomplished in your life?" "OH well I got the word doodle trademarked" "WOW your mom must be proud"

And Lastly if the do trademark doodle as there characters name, they can't technically claim infringment on other apps because they do not feature the "doodle" in there game or make any refrence to it.

19. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    Just found this

"Doodle Jump is an electronic game developed and published by Lima Sky for iOS, BlackBerry, Android and Nokia S60. It was released worldwide for iOS on April 6, 2009, and was later released for Android and Blackberry on March 2, 2010. Since its release, the game has been generally well-received. The game was inspired by PapiJump, from SunFlat, with similar gameplay. On June 25, 2010 it was announced that the game had totalled over 5 million sales.[1] It has been reported of having 28,000 downloads per day.
    Gameplay consists of guiding a four-legged creature known as "Doodler" up an unending series of platforms without falling in an attempt to gain a high score. The character is controlled by tilting the gaming device in the desired direction. The greater the angle, the greater speed. In the BlackBerry version, direction of the Doodler is determined by tapping in the desired direction." -Wikipedia

This clearly states the characters name is "Doodler" and its gameplay is closely similar "Papijump"

20. bmdino

bmdino Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    who doesn't know that?