Lima Sky bringing down the hammer.. [update: Lima Sky responds, withdraws the notice]

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by robotsvswizards.com, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    They can't take out doodle god because it was made as a flash game and the name is its name and can't be changed so this can't effect all games. also this is like me copyrighting the word "the" or "a"

2. iPhoneGlobs

iPhoneGlobs Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2009
    Software Developer
    #62 iPhoneGlobs, Jan 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
    I think they gave the same notices to the Dev of Doodle God and Doodle Devil.

3. iStephen

iStephen Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Ohio
    Did you get a notice for Doodle Army? (sorry if you already mentioned it)

4. iPhoneGlobs

iPhoneGlobs Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2009
    Software Developer
    #64 iPhoneGlobs, Jan 12, 2011
    Yes. Are they not claiming they are taking ownership of the trademark Doodle? Doesnt thier app description they have Doodle with a TM on it? Doodle is the name of their main character but I thought he was called Doodler. They currenty have a pending request for some kind of trademark on Doodle on the USTPO.

Trying to stick to just the facts and let you deduce your own opinion.

5. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    #65 crex, Jan 12, 2011
    Lima Sky should sue themselves! :p

6. Mew2468

Mew2468 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    Exactly. I just lost all respect for Lima Sky - I can't believe they would pull this move.

7. shyguy3

shyguy3 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2010
    Lima Sky should **** themselves instead.

8. trystero

trystero Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    I don't know what the text is in these legal missives sent out by Apple, but as others have mentioned here it doesn't sound like Apple is *requiring* anyone do anything... They are simply stating that they have received a complaint and are asking for a response. Apple's legal team has an obligation to "investigate" these types of claims simply to avoid exposing themselves to any kind of liability. Has anyone receiving a letter simply stated that they are not infringing?

Legalzoom has a page on trademarks and can probably provide an inexpensive way to respond to LimaSky ( and Apple ). I've used them for LLC registration in the past.

http://www.legalzoom.com/trademarks-guide/trademark-grounds-for-refusal.html

9. crex

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    haha. lol. :p

10. iStephen

iStephen Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Ohio
    #70 iStephen, Jan 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
    EDIT: After hearing Igor's statement, I feel much better about this.

I just wish this never happened.

11. syndessol

syndessol Well-Known Member

Thought I would also point out...in their screenshots on the App Store right now...they show the name "Doodler" as the character's name (the lowest score on their second screenshot). Seems to me they are changing their own history to fit their new trademark attempts. It is precedence that governs the legitimacy of trademarks.

It appears to me...on the surface...Lima Sky hired some expensive lawyers to take a crack at this...and the lawyers are saying "Sure...we can give that a try!" as they cash their checks from the unscrupulous devs. :) I'm no lawyer...but this sounds about as thin as the "Diner Dash" folks trying to trademark "Dash".

12. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    I can see Lima sky sueing apps using actual doodle jump sprites, but it's terrible that they want to rid of all doodle. I'm pretty sure there was some doodle app in the store before doodle jump anyways. Doodle is the new edge.

13. swiftest

swiftest Well-Known Member

May 18, 2009
    I thought the Doodle Jump character looked familiar--I had to look up Q*Bert and I must say the resemblance is uncanny. It's so obvious that Lima Sky "borrowed" the Q*Bert character especially since a bunch of reviews noted this similarity. Doubly ironic that they're now becoming trademark trolls after copying others. I left a negative review and will not buy any more of their games.

14. 5duc29

5duc29 Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Well, that is bs. Doodle Jump has lost their credibility.

I think Igor should join the discussion. I want to read on what Igor has to say--he last posted 12/15, I think--

@Swiftest,
    I think most of Lima Sky's games are crap anyway..

15. PixOwl

PixOwl Well-Known Member

So disappointed on Lima Sky...
    Why did I buy Doodle Jump Christmas Special? :(

I work on a game called "Doodle Grub" with my girlfriend.
    We didn't receive anything from Lima Sky, maybe because this is a free game.

This is an indie game, we worked hard to reach approximatively 800 000 downloads today (mostly in europe). I can't imagine changing the title, the domain name, the stickers, the Twitter account... Please Lima Sky, stop the madness!

16. Gunblade1190

Gunblade1190 Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2010
    NJ
    This is a pretty stupid move on Lima Sky's part. I joined the masses and left a one star review. Maybe enough people will get the point and it might affect them but... that seems doubtful. Hopefully this can blow over in time with little, or no effect, on the tons of random doodle devs. Although I generally shy away from doodle games after they became entirely far too common place, but this is still one of the worst moves I've seen recently. Bought Doodle Jump about a year ago and don't regret it, but I do regret the Christmas version purchase now...

I could be wrong, but I believe that the monster from DJ used to be called "Doodle the Doodler." Or at least that's how my mind remembers it from early last year.

17. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    1. Money makes you crazy.
    2. Apple has absolutely no balls whatsoever.

18. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    Awww, igor was cool as far as I knew too.

19. crex

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Exactly. :D

20. robotsvswizards.com

robotsvswizards.com Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2010
    Game Development, Music
    CA, USA
    #80 robotsvswizards.com, Jan 12, 2011
    Let us not forget the app store is not an open market.
    It is a store owned by one company that can sell what they choose to sell.
    If a company was to say "hey apple we own the word Quest, you owe us all the revenue for any game that uses the word quest"

Apple reserves the right to just say "fine, Well i don't think we are gonna sell your game anymore"