Lima Sky bringing down the hammer.. [update: Lima Sky responds, withdraws the notice]

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by robotsvswizards.com, Jan 11, 2011.

1. kiancheong

kiancheong Well-Known Member

148Apps updated:
    Jumping the gun, eh?

2. jgynwa11

jgynwa11 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2010
    Full-time iPhone Gamer
    Lima Sky are being big arseholes. I just got refunds for both Doodle Jump games as a form of protest against them. If many people do that, it may send them a message. Shoot, I just used the word 'doodle' here. Will I be hearing from their lawyers soon?

In other news, I just claimed a trademark on all the letters in the alphabet. Now everyone owes me money.

3. Mr.Dooodle

Mr.Dooodle New Member

Jan 11, 2011
    I'll boycatt all the games from Lima Sky from now. I'll ask for the refunds soon for Doodle Jump and other games from Lima Sky.

My name is Mr.Dooodle. Sue me?

4. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    What would happen then, if Sunflat games decided to trademark 'Jump'?

Then Doodle Jump would be removed and the 'Doodle' case closed.

5. Endloop

Endloop Well-Known Member

This makes me extremely sad. I had respect for Igor, Lima Sky and Doodle Jump's success story but this really taints them. Trademark "Doodle Jump", sure but the word "Doodle"? Come on... this reminds of that whole "Tower Defence" trademark fiasco as well.

And yes, Doodle Jump wasn't even an original concept (Papi Jump was first).

Don't be so greedy - you copied someone else's game, made a ton of riches and now you're trying to "protect" something you can't even own. Nice one, buddy. :mad:

- Garry

6. kiancheong

kiancheong Well-Known Member

Can you share a little more on the refund? I'm not sure if I'll be able to get mine since it's been a little while since I installed the game, perhaps a little way back before Xmas.

7. lord-sam

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Go to your purchase history in iTunes account. Find Doodle Jump from list. Click 'report a problem' and ask for a refund. Before Xmas shouldn't be too bad.

8. towelll

towelll Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2010
    I will not be buying any games from Lima Sky.

9. MarkusN

MarkusN Active Member

Jul 26, 2009
    It's not only bad...

... it's stupid.

There is really no gain for Lima Sky on this one. If Doodle Jump WAS the only app in the store with the title, that really means... nothing. It would effectively kill a lively category on the store and ultimately turn users away from even searching for the term.
    I was one of the devs affected by the claim to remove "memory" from their app titles like a year ago and I can see why that company back then tried to protect their 30yr old trademark.
    But there is nothing to protect for Lima Sky, the trademark is not even granted. And if it wasn't for protection of an existing trademark, I really fail to see the potential gain.

I wanted to strongly emphasize what @Acceleroto said, also from my own experience with Apple's TM protection a year ago:
    If they write you an email leaving you a choice, you absolutely have the right to say that you "don't infringe". If you can afford what should be a really small amount of money, get a trademark lawyer to write a quick note for you with their law firms letterhead and send that to Apple. But in the end, your own statement certainly helps.
    In my experience with this particular scenario, Apple will WARN you before they pull your app. As long as you correspond with them and don't get a clear warning that they will pull if you don't rename within a given timeframe, there is nothing to worry about and it is perfectly fine to push back on this (ridiculous) claim. In fact I think that Apple will make it's decision to issue such a warning partly dependent on the pushback they get from this first round, so it is UP TO YOU.

This is very different than the "memory" case. Back then, those guys HAD a trademark and they were claiming it. Apple (and the dev) didn't have much of a choice back then except complain about stupid trademark laws.
    But this here is different and it almost seems like trademark officials are rejecting the claim and so should you.

10. kickR

kickR Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Desperate move. Just because, am i allowed to use the word, Doodle Jump is not in the spotlight anymore cause of more innovating games like Angry Birds, Fruit Ninja and Cut the Rope is stealing theirs they now have to do something desperate, even if this desperate move will only bite them in the butt.

GG Lima Sky, we just lost your respect.

11. lord-sam

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    It would make more sense for Lima Sky to take a trademark out when the game finally drops from the top 25 as then the search system won't be clogged with hundreds of games. But right now, they have no need to.

Everyone change your iTunes review to 1 star.

12. Minimax Games

Minimax Games Well-Known Member

What I don't understand is.... Lima S. did not hold a Doodle trademark, why Apple react on false alarms?

13. nikhsterboi

nikhsterboi Well-Known Member

#53 nikhsterboi, Jan 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
    Hey LimaSky, here's a cool new icon you should use for your next update:

EDIT: In fact, they can have an option. Which one do you guys like better?

Attached Files:

• dj.JPG
      dj.JPG
      File size:
      23.1 KB
      Views:
    • dj2.jpg
      dj2.jpg
      File size:
      23.6 KB
      Views:
  14. #54 MindJuice, Jan 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
    I don't think that's going to be a problem for you.

Doesn't seem like they have any creativity to make anything new anyway. Take a look at their other "games".

I think they will just ride their lottery win in whatever way they can.

15. shyguy3

shyguy3 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2010
    So does this mean that apple needs to remove all 10,000+ games in the app store with the word "doodle" in the title. Why not attack all the other games with the word "jump" in the title while there at it.

This is all so f***ing stupid. I can't believe the idiots at apple for agreeing to this. I lost all respect for Limasky.

Obviously I can't get a refund since I purchased the damn game several months ago but I'll be sure to give them a one star rating.

Thank God I never purchased the Christmas edition.

16. Arashi541

Arashi541 Well-Known Member

I just redeemed it and i put that i inadvertently purchased without realizing the developers were complete scumbags.

17. Osujxu

Osujxu Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    left a one star review

18. Arashi541

Arashi541 Well-Known Member

Yeah so did i

19. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2010
    USA
    Boycotting and leaving one star reviews will probably do nothing :(
    They have too many "fans" who will continue to support Doodle Jump.
    I'm quite sure they don't give a crap about indie devs.

20. headcaseGames

headcaseGames Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    sad to see this state of things just as a new year has barely begun :(

Shame on those who would stomp on the little guy, especially as that "little guy" used to include them as well. Hopefully Apple will not be so vindictive in following through with this, I guess time will tell - there's tons of wonderful "doodle" themed games on the App Store which have absolutely nothing to do with infringing on this particular copyright in any manner.

Now if you will all pardon me, I must look into trademarking the word "Fart" :p