Universal Lili - (by BitMonster)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    Safe to say it's about exploration and collecting?

2. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    #22 metalcasket, Sep 19, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
    Am I right in assuming this doesn't contain IAPs?

It's so frickin' sad that this is a question that has to be asked and argued about in every single new thread, but such is the way of the App Store. :/

3. Prab

Prab Moderator

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    I got the same impression. And I think the description says it all too:

4. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

#24 Sanuku, Sep 19, 2012
    I haven`t seen much yet but I would say so far that it`s an Classic Action Adventure where exploration, collecting and a lot of other Parts are coming together to create a Game where you have to look twice at the Screen to realize that this isn`t a Console that you are playing it one.

It`s quiet similar to Outcast from Appeal. It`s one of those Games that if you let it be it will probably never let you go again :)

5. johannaffendy

johannaffendy Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2012
    Malaysia
    I'll pass, too cutesy and adorable for my doom metal persona :rolleyes:

6. Bluez

Bluez Well-Known Member

#26 Bluez, Sep 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2012

Heres our Launch Gameplay trailer it includes a bit of the non-combat aspects..the game also features a hybrid of Zelda style environment puzzles, exploration, non-combat (Rodeo Game is what we call it internally), and mini quest to help characters around Geos.

7. killy billy

killy billy Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2009
    planet iphone/ipad
    Unfortunately,They lost me with the controls :(

8. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I know what youre saying, i'm a sucker for a small d-pad control in the corner for games like this BUT after watching the gameplay video it just looks stunning visually, i like to have different types of games on my ipod and i really want to get this.

9. visionwebs

visionwebs Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Looks good, from the videos though I guess it's the sort of game that once you complete everything, there is no point playing it again or continue past the main storyline?

Zelda was ok but once the game was finished that was it.

10. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Excuse me? Why have I not been informed of another metalhead's presence on TA?

11. Darth Ronfar

Darth Ronfar Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Animal related
    LA
    This game looks amazing... If the gameplay and such is anywhere near as good as the graphics then this will be one hell of a great game.

As for the controls it should probly feel natural using one hand to move and the other to look around, nobody should let that get in the way, ESP if this game is as good as it looks.

12. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Yep i know what you mean but from what i've seen so far a game like this i would take my time with. I dont get it when some people download a game and then 30 minutes later say they've completed it ! Like its a competition. The game looks amazing, want to 'soak' in the atmosphere and take my time with it

13. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    You just cited my all time favorite videogame...damn...I already ruled out Lili!
    Damn!

14. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

Wow an outcast reference, nice! I used to love that game when I was young ;) I've been given a promo code for lily and I'll post some impressions soon! (Thanks again Bitmonster!)

15. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Looking forward your impressions...I LOVED Outcast but Lili, while gorgeous, seems nothing like it to me tough.

16. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    That trailer + Sanukus videos peaked my interest through the roof, think of this as a gorgeous Zelda-esque game without "proper" combat... Amazing... Will wait for impressions

17. killercow

#37 killercow, Sep 19, 2012
    Sooo here's my review after finishing the first area and the tutorial:

Lili is beautiful, there's no way to say it other than that, probably one of the best graphically speaking game on ios. The art is magnificient, the scale and attention to details is amazing, you get the idea.
    On the ipad 3 (aka the new) i've seen 30-60 fps stable which is more than acceptable and it rarely drops.

Now onto the game itself: You play as Lily and your goal is to get some rare flowers for a school project. You can pick them from the ground (it works a bit like the wiimote pointer in super mario galaxy), but more interestingly you can get them from the back of those monsters who rule the island with an iron fist.

This is where the "peaceful combat" is introduced. It's composed of two stages:
    You first need to find a monster (a spirit) and sneak up behind them (or chase them if you've been seen). Then, once you're on their backs you can pick a lot of white flowers and in the end get a red one.
    The combat gets more intense later on (you can select 3 difficulties) as bombs and thorns will need to be avoided. There's quite a variety of ennemies, each with their own biography. You are rated with a three star system based on your performance.

Outside of this, there's a lot of exploring to do! You can break vases to get coins, find chests with treasures and talk with the inhabitants or find new paths through locked doors. There's also some minigames that i've not discovered yet.

While i would have prefered a joystick, the tap to run/slide to move works. The only problem is when you're facing an object and wondering if it's interactive (you need to tap to interact so sometimes you'll run into walls thinking that you could access that object) but this is really minor.

The game uses 4 types of currencies (white flowers, red flowers, coins and keys). You can buy some costumes, equipment and temporary boosts. You can find a lot of those just by playing or through IAP (A certain amount or 2x coins, flowers...). Lili also gains levels and can upgrade three attributes: speed, stealth and grab (for picking up flowers faster on the back of spirits)

Bottom line: Lili packs a lot of personality through cute characters, amazing looking environments and attention to details. The non violent combat system is quite original and fun, it's quite early to say though if it's gonna be enough or if the game is this fresh throughout the whole experience.

If you've got more questions, ask me ;)

18. visionwebs

visionwebs Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    IAP in a premium game?

some are ok... but i'm suspicious!

19. killercow

For now everything sold is not needed at all, And with the amount of flowers you can find i just think it's there for the most impatient players.

20. Prhaber

Prhaber Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Really pleased that the iPod 4G is included in the list of suitable devices - wasn't expecting that. Could anyone tell me how it plays / looks on iPod though?