iPad Like logic games? - try Jabeh

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by greyscot, Jan 15, 2009.

1. greyscot

greyscot Active Member

Dec 25, 2008
    I took a risk and downloaded a new logic game today call Jabeh. I really like it! In fact, I liked it so much I commented on iTunes (which I rarely do, but I think the developer deserves attention for creating a high quality product).

The graphics and sound are outstanding, and the controls are simple and efficient.
    I have found it to be a high quality deduction game that is fun to play and great to look at.
    Anyone else tried it?

2. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    #2 NotYou, Jan 15, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  3. BrettArchibald

BrettArchibald Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Self-employed interactive designer.
    Formerly Zimbabwe - now England.
    So is this similar to MineSweeper then?

4. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    Not really. It involves the same type of planning and the occasional educated guess, the game itself is much different.

5. Carlos-Sz

Carlos-Sz Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    #5 Carlos-Sz, Jan 15, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
    I like this kind of game.

Shinro was the first one I think ad both titles have the same gameplay as far as I can see. There's also Shinro Mines with a similar gameplay.

However, Jabeh looks more polished with well balanced graphics. Elegant.

By the way, how are the game statistics? Can you give us some details about it?

Below a screenshot of Jabeh and Shinro:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I agree. Those flaws made me delete the game. Maybe later I'll end up purchasing this game too. :)

6. danc4498

danc4498 Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Looks like a mix between minesweepers and sudoku.

7. HJJ

HJJ Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    From the description:

"New puzzles are automatically downloaded every time you start the game!"

Can someone please tell me how many puzzles you start out with? How will this affect iPod touch users who aren't connected to WiFi? I have WiFi access at home, but I very rarely play games there. I play only during my (excruciating!) commute. Will I have to open the game at home every time I want new puzzles? Or will whatever comes with the game natively suffice?

8. BulletDev

BulletDev Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    produce applications under "Bullet Development"
    Vancouver, BC
    It's worth a look, thats for sure. It's extremely polished and of coarse, fun.

9. Donburns99

Donburns99 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    ColdFusion Web Developer
    Rhode Island
    This game is fantastic. Can't really tell how many puzzles there are as there isn't a level select. When you start a game, it just throws you into the first puzzle automatically.

10. MaskU2See

MaskU2See Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Philly, USA
    Game looks fantastic.
    Right up my alley.

Thank you for the heads up.
    Going to download now.

11. Carlos-Sz

Nov 5, 2008
    It's a great game indeed.

Very polished.

12. Carlos-Sz

Nov 5, 2008
    First impressions (iTunes review):

What a beautiful and very polished game. Even its icon is nice.

The gameplay is not new but it has graphics and sound/music tweaks that make this game enjoyable to say the least.

Along with an elegant presentation, the game also has statistics making the reply value even greater.

Here are some small suggestions:

- If a line or row has the number of balls indicated make this number gray (instead black) so you can easily see it's filled

- If an arrow already has a ball in the right direction make it gray too instead white

- Tap an arrow could highlight for some seconds the diagonal path so you can easily see where a ball can be placed

13. Donburns99

Dec 29, 2008
    ColdFusion Web Developer
    Rhode Island
    #13 Donburns99, Jan 20, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
    I agree fully about the game play and presentation.

But I personally feel that some of your suggestions may hurt the game more than help it.

1. Making the arrows gray out would cause less thinking on a lot of levels, making the puzzles more bland.

There are multiple occasions when an arrow points to more than one ball. If that is not considered, then graying out the arrow once a ball is in it's path may be incorrect. If it is considered, than that is an extra hint that there is more than one ball in front of the arrow. Making the puzzle easier than it normally would have been.

2. If the numbers are grayed out, then you have less of a chance of making a mistake based on a bad move or a bad thought process; once again kind of ruining the experience of the puzzle. If you have less of a chance of making a mistake, some of the puzzle "magic" is gone.

Also, there have been 2-3 occasions where I've had to clear the board because I placed a ball in the wrong slot by accident. If the numbers get grayed out then that can hurt the player even more, because they will see the row is grayed out and may not give it a second look, thinking it's complete; when in reality they have a ball that shouldn't be there. This can be fixed by making it only gray out if the ball(s) are in the right spots, but once again this would ruin the experience of the puzzle.

3. Tapping an arrow to highlight the row would be nice, but I have mixed feelings on it. On one side, it could help those with certain vision problems, but on the other hand I see some drawbacks. Part of the fun with the directional arrows, for me anyway, is figuring out what the path is. It's part of the puzzle solving process and some leaves room for making mistakes, making the puzzles a little harder.

All three of your suggestions are great though, don't get me wrong. I just wanted to give my input on them also. Personally, I don't like to have my hand held while solving puzzles. All three of those options seem to be a crutch in one way or another.

----

As for functionality, I've only come across two things that have bugged me so far and one thing that I'd love to see implemented.

The first thing that bugged me is that I sometimes accidentally press the hint button when starting a new level. Since a "New Game" button appears across the bottom of the screen when you solve a puzzle, I generally go for that one instead of the one on top. Unfortunately, the hint button is also in that exact spot once the puzzle loads. So on the off-chance that I double tap the "New Game" button, sometimes the second tap will hit the hint button unintentionally.

Being the perfectionist I am, this adds to the "Hints Used" counter under statistics and bugs me a little bit. Not the biggest deal, since you can reset the statistics and I've yet to get past Rank 3 - Goldfish, so it's not the biggest loss.

This brought me to the second thing that bugged me, since resetting all statistics does not reset the "Hints Used" counter. It resets everything else, but the hints remain unchanged; I ended up uninstalling and reinstalling the application to fix it.

I've spoken with the developer about it, so hopefully in the next update, those two issues will be fixed. I'd love to have an option to disable the hint button from being pressed.

I'd also love to see a user tracking system, so that the statistics aren't global to the device, but to each person that plays the device. Right now me and the girlfriend are sharing average best times, which can be a problem if one person is slower than the other at solving puzzles. It also means that we share ranks, fastest times and the amount of hints used. Kind of makes the statistics less meaningful if you can't tell who has accomplished what and can be a problem if one person doesn't like using hints, but the other does.

---

Those quirks aside, the game play is calming and relaxing, the music is fantastic and changes from puzzle to puzzle. The artwork is beautifully done, the colors of all the elements are chosen well and go together nicely.

The instructions are laid out nicely and are easy to understand.

The statistics adds more to the game and gives more of a reason to keep playing. As you go up ranks as you progress and your best time is tracked. As well as the total amount of puzzles solved, your average puzzle solve time and the total amount of hints used.

You can turn the game music off if you want to or adjust the volume of it independently from the iPod's volume. You can also turn on and off the game sounds independently from the game music.

You can select from Easy, Medium and Hard puzzles and even choose to have a random difficulty selected for you at the start of every level to keep things interesting.

I've also yet to seen Jabeh have an error that caused an application crash, this is a big plus in my book. So many applications these days will crash now and then, but Jabeh has been flawless for me so far. Not one crash yet and I've been playing this game a lot since my original post in this thread on January 15th.

Overall, this game deserves more attention than it's getting. For anyone who likes puzzlers, this is one of my favorites on the iPod Touch (and iPhone) and I highly recommend it.

14. Ahiru

Ahiru Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    public servant
    nowhere near you!
    so, is this better than Shinro? it does look better, at least the GUI is!

15. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    This looks very similar to piccross. Is this game better to buy than a pictoss one?

16. Donburns99

Dec 29, 2008
    ColdFusion Web Developer
    Rhode Island
    #16 Donburns99, Jan 20, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
    I personally haven't tried Shinro, but according to some reviews there is sometimes more than one solution to Shinro puzzles and you can't pass the level until you use the solution it wants you to use.

Other reviews say that Shrino doesn't even have theme music, so I'd say Jabeh is better in a lot of aspects.

When comparing the two from screenshots alone, I personally like the theme of Jabeh better than Shrino. The interface of Jabeh is top-notch.

To me it seems the two applications are on completely different levels, Jabeh would win my vote hands down.

Looking at Picross, I once again see that some levels have multiple solutions and you have to find the correct one the application wants.

Looking at PicrossTouch, it doesn't have the feature to block out tiles you know are incorrect. Without that, much of the game play is lost.

I'd once again choose Jabeh over the Picross games.

17. Ahiru

Ahiru Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    public servant
    nowhere near you!
    thank you kind sir! well, i might wait a bit, i still play shinro every now and then (alongside puzzlemaniak) when i sit in the throne, but this looks better!! i might pick it up next month (got some priorities!)

18. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    Price dropped to $.99

19. tangerine

tangerine Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Downloading now..... I also picked up Gemmed.

Carlos' suggestions have not failed me yet. Thanks, Carlos!

20. Master Shake

Master Shake Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2008
    Ah what the hell I'll give it a shot.