Lightseekers

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by ste86uk, Sep 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Anyone seen Lightseekers yet? Just found it through a FB advert. Looks awesome after watching the video, the game itself sounds and looks great and then they are also trying to incorporate augmented reality cards and collectors figurines.

https://www.lightseekers.com

There's a signup for a chance at getting into beta.

2. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    How are they going to get people playing this when the barrier to entry is a $70 figure?

3. yankeeblue000

yankeeblue000 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2016
    #3 yankeeblue000, Sep 29, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
    I went over to the website to watch the video It looks pretty good but I think this concept was already done with the Skylanders games for iOS. There are Skylanders figures you can buy to that you can use to play in the games and there's a Skylanders Battlecast card game where you buy Battlecast card packs to use in the game and it also uses augmented reality when adding the characters from the cards into the game. This game also looks like a Skylanders game. Imitation is a form of flattery, maybe this is there way of paying homage to great Toys2Life video games like Skylanders. All that aside the game looks great I hope it's fun

4. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    They have started a kickstarter for anyone interested, the page also gives more detailed info on the game and how it works for those wanting to know.

http://kck.st/2e2iJdQ

Also some cool Items in the kickstart even for a low budget, some of them even give you both figures and all cards plus special in game items/skins and zone. Oh and if you want to go meet them and drive their tank that's there too!

5. Misguided

Jan 27, 2009
    Interesting....they've been working on this for 18 months already and I had the distinct feeling they were really well funded. Seeing this on Kickstarter is a surprise.

6. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    In their doscription it says the workers own the business and it's all their own personal money invested in the game. It says everything is worked out already with all the technical bits ect and the kickstarter is to gauge interest and find partners interested in stocking their items ect along with the more they get the more they can do obviously.

It does sound and look like a good game that'll last quite a while saying they have hundreds of hours of gameplay already and lots of it is repeatable. Seems like a mini WoW but with extra elements.

7. Misguided

Jan 27, 2009
    I really wish there were more uncut gameplay available.

8. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    I know what you mean, there's quite a bit of gameplay to see but it's all spread out between so many different videos.

9. xxteargodxx

xxteargodxx Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Male
    NJ
    While I would love to support this game via Kickstarter. Unfortunately I don't think I can for two reasons.

1) I don't like and am not a fan of supporting projects such as these aka unfinished.

2) I also don't have a debit or credit card anyway.

With that said..I am a bit shocked to see on Facebook the CEO of PlayFusion said this game won't be released unless the Kickstarter meets and exceeds its goals.

I guess I was under the impression with everything being said that beta is coming in December with release next year that everything was funded and ready to go.

I got the chance to meet with him two weeks ago (Asked for a photo with him via Twitter) and he ended up having me go to PlayFusion Offices in NYC for a drink and a chat about the game we talked for about 20 minutes.

While I don't want to say much I will say the game looks amazing in my opinion. I love the idea of a F2P game with no IAP. That you can support if you chlose buy buying a figure/accessory/trading cards.

10. Misguided

Jan 27, 2009
    Probably more a case of a failure to hit the goal (which is quite low) would indicate no interest. Still, given the huge investment they have already made, I find that scenario unlikely. I think they are going to hit their target, but doesn't look like they are going to obliterate it, which could be a bad sign for a project of this magnitude with a goal that low.

My suspicion here is that they set a very low goal hoping to attract attention when they annihilated it.

For me, the problem is there isn't enough gameplay available. Hundreds of hours at launch? Enough depth for hardcore types? Ok, let's see some of it. I want to see what playing an entire area/zone/quest looks like.

I also think they haven't done a good enough job of explaining why people interested in this should be willing to shell out the money for the figures if the game is free. Ok, it talks to you, lights up, etc. that's cool. But 50 dollars worth of cool (70 at launch).

Honestly, I'm starting to wonder if they shouldn't have launched the game first and brought the figures in later. I suspect they have a LOT of money sunk into the development of those figures.

11. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    The closed beta for the game starts on the 15th, unsure how much longer it'll be after that until launch but I think only a month or few.

There are more gameplay videos around of lots of different parts of the game now if you have the time to watch them all. I'm looking forward to seeing how it's all turned out though as it looks and sounds great.