Universal Lifeline... (by 3 Minute Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Apr 20, 2015.

1. 3MinMars

3MinMars Active Member

Apr 22, 2015
    Thanks a bunch for the kind words and for spreading the word, too!

To your question:
    Yes, there are two positive endings, one where Taylor escapes alive and another where Taylor escapes but also saves the Captain's life by putting her in the stasis pod on day 1 so she can also be evacuated on day 3.

2. chaopac

chaopac New Member

May 7, 2015
    Best news I've heard all day. I will wait for the game to come out on Android. Thank you for your reply and such an amazing work.

3. DotComCTO

DotComCTO Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Chief Technology Officer
    Westchester County, NY
    @3MinMars

Thanks for the confirmation...and I definitely got the best possible ending! :)

--DotComCTO

4. geoelectric

geoelectric Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    #104 geoelectric, May 14, 2015
    Last edited: May 14, 2015
    I like the game, but have run into two problems:

First is that it sends push notifications even if you're actually in the game and counts on iOS to suppress them. Problem with that is that even suppressed notifications still go to Pebble. My Pebble goes nuts on my wrist with Taylor's replies while I'm playing, made worse since Taylor sends one sentence at a time. Every reply == 4-5 buzzing notifications.

Second is that I killed Taylor and then got distracted on other things, and the game has now decided to remind me once a day since with a push notification that I should restart and play it again. That's pretty much an instant delete in my book, though I liked the writing enough just to shut off its notifications instead. But I still think it's gross misuse of the system. One reminder? Sure, but then STFU until I restart you.

5. 3MinMars

3MinMars Active Member

Apr 22, 2015
    If you go into the game's Notification Settings button from the game's main menu, tell it that you have an Apple Watch (even though you have a Pebble), and it will send you just a single notification for each block of messages, as in: [Incoming message]. We do send reminder notifications at the 24-hour and 48-hour marks, which most people find useful, but other than that it won't spam you. Sorry for those frustrations, but I'm glad you like the game otherwise!

6. geoelectric

geoelectric Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Oh, interesting. I had no idea that's what the Apple Watch option did. That's helpful. FWIW, I think the Apple Watch is probably smart enough not to honor notifications with the phone app open as well, but the Pebble is not (I suspect it hangs off the same API that routes the notification to other iOS devices you're not on). It'd be nice if the local notifications simply weren't pushed if the app was open. You're not alone in this behavior--Facebook Messenger does it too, so you're certainly authentic to the IM experience. But being smarter than Facebook Messenger is always a worthy goal. ;)

Re: 24/48, OK, that makes more sense. Gotta tell you that my reaction at 24 was "ok," but my reaction at 48 was "holy crap, stop" and I got really irritated. I just assumed it'd do it again at 72, which seems like a reasonable assumption. Maybe it should say something like "last reminder" if you're doing to do a second one? I really dislike apps that nag me via notification (and I don't think I'm alone in this) so it's something to step a little carefully around.

Thanks for the clarifications.

7. Justacpa

Justacpa New Member

Jul 14, 2011
    #107 Justacpa, May 17, 2015
    Last edited: May 17, 2015
    Fast mode

How do you access the fast mode? I dont see that as an option in the menu. I have finished the game once through

8. OrangeJews

OrangeJews Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2013
    The next update should include a button to turn off Taylor's jokes. They're just bad. I can understand that the writer was probably trying to imitate some of the atmosphere of The Martian, but, ugh... It's terrible.

9. alapickles

alapickles New Member

Jun 6, 2015
    Created an account just to respond here... This game is amazing! I loved it. Really started to feel for Taylor and any time he took too long to reply I actually found myself getting all worried and concerned about him. The first two times I played it and he died and I'd never felt so guilty before! The third time I got the best possible ending and now I'm replaying again.

Are there any other apps like this out there? Simply because I enjoyed it that much! Is there any plans to make another of this one?

Also - I loved his jokes. Proper little sassy sod, isn't he?

10. Wafflez

Wafflez New Member

Jun 10, 2015
    oh my god this game is the best!

11. GunmaKuma

GunmaKuma New Member

Jun 20, 2015
    An entertaining week of guiding Taylor around. I wonder, before this, was our mission to sow chaos on Earth? My shipmates all seemed to be rather upright citizens...

12. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    99 cents sale!

Now I'm debating if I should get this. Does this have more battery drain since it constantly sends you push notifications?

13. imdakine1

imdakine1 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    I'm in! For .99 I'll absolutely get this game! Interesting idea that seeks to play out very well.

14. imdakine1

imdakine1 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    I'm assuming I can close the app come tell and I'll be notified when Taylor has anything to say to me right?

15. orangecan

orangecan Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    Yeah. I like it and I can appreciate the idea behind having to wait between updates but in practice it's starting to do my head in a bit.....

16. 3MinMars

3MinMars Active Member

Apr 22, 2015
    #116 3MinMars, Jul 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
    Glad you guys noticed - enjoy the 99¢ sale, folks! It will run for a week on the iOS App Store, Google Play, and the Amazon app store.

If you're interested in a sequel, we're hard at work on Lifeline 2 right now. It will have a very different setting but a similar setup: someone is in deep distress, and you're the only one they can talk to, giving them advice to survive their crisis. It will come out as soon as Dave is done writing it, so we're shooting for mid-summer.

Not at all - it just schedules the next set of messages for a point in the future, the delivery of which is handled by your phone's OS, not by the app running in the background. Hope you enjoy it, and thanks everybody for the kind words!

======================

EDIT: I'm not sure if you guys would be interested in some more discussion about how Lifeline came about or the design behind it, but we've done some discussion in a couple of places that I may as well plug:

Gamasutra article about narrative delivered through push notifications:
    http://gamasutra.com/view/news/246968/Building_a_narrative_out_of_push_notifications_in_Lifeline.php

Unconsoleable podcast; an hour-long conversation with a couple of great mobile gamer ladies:
    http://www.unconsoleable.com/episodes/2015/6/15/episode-39-give-the-gift-of-lifeline

17. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Then this will be the only game I'll buy this week. Thanks for the response! I do like the way you handled programming the messages as scheduled as it seems that was it won't strain the device refreshing for push notifications constantly.

Btw I noticed this game has stellar reviews in the Appstore :)

18. fearlesskk

fearlesskk Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2014
    10/10 game. Really fun and made me imagine the whole scene in my head all the way till the end. Sad that i was almost at the end and taylor died, but with the rewind button managed to save her

19. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    Not really my type of game but at a buck I'll give it a good go. Thanks for the sale!

20. wednesdaysky

wednesdaysky New Member

Jul 3, 2015
    Thanks for all the hard work.

Might you guys ever consider adding vibration on notifs to the Android version? I miss messages all the time and it's extremely frustrating. I want to see them as they come in but I have to keep my phone silent.