Universal Lifeline... (by 3 Minute Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Apr 20, 2015.

1. maikelg

maikelg Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    So How interactive is this? I only have an iPad that I just use at home. Since it plays in real time, am I going to miss things or have a whole backlog of messages from Taylor when I come home from work ? I'm really curious to try this out and it sounds cool, but the interactive aspect worries me a bit.

2. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    You'll get a backlog. Taylor won't proceed further unless he receives your guidance. At least that's been my experience over the last several hours since buying this last night and playing off and on at work.

3. maikelg

maikelg Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Cool, I was a bit worried that the game might play itself while I'm gone and I would miss a bunch of stuff. Installing now ;-)

4. Tallgeese

Tallgeese Member

Oct 9, 2014
    There's already a pretty sweet PS2 game (with what sounds like a similar concept) called "Lifeline" (although that's technically the English title for "Operator's Side" (JPN)) . I suppose more of that would be great, I'm just a little shaky on how the iOS game naming convention things work...

Anyways, I'm excited to check this out.

5. Adsinjapan

Adsinjapan Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2013
    I'm really starting to hate Taylor.

He really has no impetus to survive on a hostile planet and all he does is bitch and moan instead of trying. If he's not going to put his 109% effort into staying alive, then I'm not going to lose sleep over him freezing to death (which he did).

6. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    From what I've played so far, this seems like an above average take on the second person gamebook/adventure story. The dialog seems natural and replaying the decisions has been streamlined well enough. However it does little to innovate the genre other than the notification interactions. The biggest problem I have with the game is the one I have with all second person adventure games, while there is depth and character to the actual protagonist, you yourself play the role of an empty decision-making machine. The game makes almost no effort to imbue flavor, charm or depth to your character. I would have loved to see conversations where both parties share details of the lives, not just Taylor.

It would have also been amazing if instead of just being presented a stream of messages and a few choices the game presented itself through a pseudo-OS, where you can not only communicate with the protagonist but also explore the worl both parties inhabit through the use of an Internet browser, social networking services, email etc. My first response when playing this game was, "Why am I not contacting someone better equipped to handle this situation?" If one day I suddenly got an SOS from a man marooned on some deserted island wouldn't my first course of action be to notify the authorities?

Maybe it's just a case of having too high expectations, the game does a decent job for what it is, but there is so much more potential for second person adventures in games now,

7. portablegamer

portablegamer Member

Mar 13, 2015
    Really enjoying this so far and can anyone recommend another good game like this on the App Store? Other than mayday?(cause I already have it)

8. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    You should check out the more traditional Heavy Metal Thunder books if you're into this.

9. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Ohh this is definitely something I want to buy. But I'm curious, how long does it last till it ends? There can only be so much dialogue and if he messages you a lot it should end quicker? And how often does Taylor message?

10. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    I have no idea how long it is, but I lasted the entire day yesterday talking to Taylor before he died. I don't think I even scratched the surface. It's incredible. I seriously forget this is a game every now and then and wonder what Taylor's upto when he doesn't message. Every how often? He checks in quite a bit depending on the situation. If he's breaking a door down, he'll send you something after 10 mins, but if he has to walk a bit it takes half an hour...an hour. I dunno. The great thing is, you don't get any vibration or ringtone to annoy you. If you're not using the phone, you'll just find something from him.

Gotta say this is a must have. It may be gimmicky to a certain degree but there's nothing like it.

11. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Darn you for making me spend my money!

I guess I'll be buying this :p

12. D1vi8

D1vi8 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2014
    Belgium
    Game is nice.
    But the second day Taylor must have died because suddenly I've got the message that his journey has stopped. I only had the possibility to rate the game or restart. I could not go back to a previous (and probably wrong) decision I have made. I thought you could go back to a previous checkpoint?
    I have started all over again now.

13. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    It would make sense that there are no checkpoints. Thing is, this game kinda simulates having this exchange between 2 individuals. Having a checkpoint when you make mistakes wouldnt make sense at all.

14. D1vi8

D1vi8 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2014
    Belgium
    #34 D1vi8, Apr 22, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
    Ok, I understand but what about this?
    ---
    Or, dive in and jump back to earlier points in the story, and see what happens when you make a different choice. Simple actions can have a profound effect.
    ---

Edit : Ok, I Understand now you can do that as long if Taylor doesn't die.

15. portablegamer

portablegamer Member

Mar 13, 2015
    Thanks cause that looks like something I am looking for!

16. 3MinMars

3MinMars Active Member

Apr 22, 2015
    Hey everybody! I’m the game designer at 3 Minute Games. We’re all really pretty thrilled that people are enjoying Lifeline so far and I’m happy to hear all the responses in this thread. There’s only 3 of us on the team full time and we put a lot of love into this game so it’s super rewarding to hear all this great feedback. <3

Just so you know, once you complete one playthrough you unlock the ability to restart the story and to change any choice you make on that next playthrough. Just tap any of the buttons earlier in the story log to go back and change that choice. Once you finish it again you unlock Fast Mode so no more waiting if you like.

@sapphire_neo - I love your idea to build more interactive stuff into the game that the player can explore and engage with (consoles, web browser etc). That would be a fantastic way to build the world and would give the player a lot more agency. Having the player do the actual work of locating Taylor’s moon and calling in the rescue mission would be amazing. This time around we didn’t have the bandwidth to produce that much content since we weren’t sure how an unusual game like this would be received, but trust me, if it does well we will pursue the idea further with the next one!

Dave Justus did a really fantastic job with the writing and I can’t wait to see how you guys feel about the endings. It was written in Twine, which is a platform anyone can use to write choose-your-own-adventure style games. I thought I’d give you an idea of the scope of the game, so here’s a wide view of the whole story node structure. The story clocks in at over 50,000 words (that’s longer than Fahrenheit 451 or Slaughterhouse-Five). Each of the little square nodes in this graph is a collection of about 2-8 messages from Taylor and a choice for the player to make.

I'm happy to answer any questions about this game or about making games in general. I've been in the industry for eleven years, starting in console games, and transitioned to mobile and F2P around 2010. I've been with 3 Minute since December and we've shipped 3 radically different titles in that time. Busy but fun!

Anybody who's picking up an Apple Watch, I'd love to hear your thoughts on how it plays on your wrist :)

Attached Files:

17. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Welcome to the forum 3MinMars! I'm definitely enjoying the game a lot more after readjusting my expectations. That infographic is really interesting, gives an estimated sense of scope of the game. I'm looking forward to exploring the whole story after unlocking fast mode.

18. jamulkk

jamulkk New Member

Apr 23, 2015
    love it

so.......
    come to the end i got a ending that i got killed XD
    all i tell taylor to stay calm and stay inside of the controlling room inside of the peak.
    and he got killed XD
    This is actually fun

19. Luckithroe

Luckithroe Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2010
    This looks like the first SERIOUS iWatch game I've seen. This feels like it would mesh great on that platform.

20. RampageDeluxe

RampageDeluxe Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2013
    I have no interest in an Apple watch, but games like this could change that.