iPhone Lich Tower of Doom RPG - (by Expleo Risvold)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Mar 12, 2014.

1. expleo

expleo Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    Computer Guy
    Norway
    As I mentioned on facebook PM, in my head I thought it was a neat idea that you didn't have time to study during combat. It is not hard to implement such description though. Perhaps a tap and hold on the item to bring up the description page, or something like that.

2. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    That would be great, and actually, what I assumed as I sat pressing on the items waiting for the hover text to pop up. ;)

3. expleo

expleo Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    Computer Guy
    Norway
    #103 expleo, May 21, 2014
    Last edited: May 22, 2014
    Yeah, well.. considering most one person requests so far is added to the game, why not this too :D I wish I could have such influence of the games I play ;)

ok, might be some weeks before it is in, there are some content in the pipeline that requires yet do be created art (and it do take some time making pixel Things), and unless something urgent comes up this one feature will not get a special build.

Edit: ok, feature added and will be included next release. It works like this: when you select an item in pouch, no text is displayed if you just tap the item, but if you press and hold for a brief time, the text will show as long as you hold down your finger.

Anyone else have any requests ? :D

4. Felonious Tub

Felonious Tub Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Cheers for the newest update. I tried the save out and it worked perfectly, no issues there. I finally managed to defeat the Lich King too!

It was the first time I made it level 5 of the Lich Tower and the final battle was pretty brutal, I didn't have much of anything left by the end of it.

I got a few of the new obelisks throughout the levels and rescued a fair few captives too. Great update in all.

5. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    I second this request, it would be great!

Had a chance to play the game last night and it's quite fun.

Does anyone have any tips on managing energy/mana/food? Or is it just something you have to get used to? Do you guys typically explore an entire floor before moving on to the next? And when can I see the bard again or spend some of my gold?

6. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    GC achievements! :D ;) :)

7. expleo

expleo Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    Computer Guy
    Norway

as mentioned, I spent an hour adding tooltip 'text' to inventory items today, will go out with next content patch.

Exploring the entire floor is usually a bad idea, it 'depends' a bit on your current set-up, but for an average game, you will probably not have enough resources.

For returning to bard, you can a) complete 5 levels of a dungeon, you get a 'free' towntrip between dungeons (3 needed in same game before you enter the lich tower), b) find a town portal scroll in the dungeons (rather rare) or c) buy a town portal scroll from merchant. Having a town portal strategy is something you have to weight, it occupies one inventory slot, and cost 40 gold, money that _might_ be better spent.

Then again, it is not fun dying in level 5 with lots of gold in the pocket, but out of mana -=)

Mr. Charley: I'm looking into (a long time planned feature) to have 'archivements' as specific tasks that caries from game to game. Stuff like 'defeat Raghnar, the thief boss' or 'free 50 captives'. Adding some sort of GC integration for this is not impossible. either as a seperate scoreboard, or have the archivements just printed out. The in game stuff would require some nerfing of the starting values of the player though, so without any archivements met he would be a bit worse off than now, but with all filled up 'totaly winning the game', he would be a lot better.

8. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    Awesome, thanks for the quick reply, Expleo! I'm on floor 5 now, so it will be good to go back to town once I'm done.

Just a note, I had more gold than I did (seem to have lost 300 gold from restoring my save). Are there monsters that steal your gold? I know the Ghoul messes up your food but never noticed if there are gold-stealing enemies.

9. expleo

expleo Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    Computer Guy
    Norway
    The thug knifefighter (from special event- ruffian takeover of dungeonfloor) can rob gold, as well as slug,eel,sewer man and maggot (the sewer creatures) can destroy with acid attacks

10. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    Is it me or do ambushes (i.e. random battles when traveling through previously explored portions of the map) happen a bit too frequently? Even after I got the sneak skill, which is supposed to reduce this, I found them happening too often.

Not sure how many others in this thread are playing the game but what do you guys think?

11. expleo

expleo Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    Computer Guy
    Norway
    #111 expleo, May 22, 2014
    Last edited: May 22, 2014
    Hi, I'll recalculate for the next relase, as there is also a bit twist to the ambush. The tricky part is balance with random mana and gold findings, so you don't accumulate heaps of gold and mana without risk

12. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    Wow, thanks :)

It's very good to see developers like you who are active and listening to the gaming community. It's one of the reasons why I love indie gaming so much.

Once I play more hours I will prepare a nice review to post here and also on the IOS review section of the app itself. So far, I can tell you that it will be a positive review as I am enjoying this game quite a bit. It's very different than all the other roguelikes I've played, so it's a breath of fresh air.

13. expleo

expleo Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    Computer Guy
    Norway
    Glad you enjoy the game so far. I'll be the first to admit that there is always room for improvements. A lot of the numbers are based on 'average' calculations, but in the end, playtime is the only way to get it feel good enough. Some skills/spells gets too good, others get too bad, and sometimes unintentional riple effects causes issues elswhere.

Like the current 'forced' dungeon sequence: some dungeons have zero spellcasters, and in effect can render the powerfull spell 'silence' ineffective for an entire game. So now I must add more spellcasters. And that can disturb something else etc etc.

I want the game to be as good as it can be (within its limitations), and player feedback (from players who enjoy the general concept) is very valuable to improve.

14. Felonious Tub

Oct 3, 2010
    I just found a small bug, after going through two dungeons, the third dungeon was selected and highlighted, but so was the Lich Tower. I was able to enter the tower after only destroying two orbs.

And on the randomness of the encounters, I think it's about right. It makes the decision to backtrack a tough one. Of course if you don't want to take the risk, you can always teleport.

15. expleo

expleo Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    Computer Guy
    Norway
    the shortcut route ;) ok, was this from savegame or from a sit trough ? was all seals removed, and the red circle around the tower showed ?

16. Felonious Tub

Oct 3, 2010
    It was from a resumed save game, I stopped it once during the third level of the second dungeon and was testing the resume feature. When I broke the second orb, I noticed on the map that the imperial palace i think(it's the one in the top left) was selected for me and there was also a red circle in the Lich Tower. I tapped it to see what would happen and it let me in.

17. Duke12

Duke12 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Out of combat heal wont cure poison anymore. Intended?

18. expleo

expleo Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    Computer Guy
    Norway
    Hi, it that was one of the issues I discovered after appstatus was set to 'in review' and something I felt was not good enough reason to pull the update on.

It is a plain silly logical error. I was adding that the heal would also do a 'cure' for bleed, as bleed can be quite nasty at higher levels.

So, the code was like this:

if (adventurer.poisoned > 0 && adventurer.bleeding > 0){//cure poison and stuff

when it should read

if (adventurer.poisoned > 0 || adventurer.bleeding > 0){//cure poison and stuff

So, for the non-code readers, what it says in the current build is that the player needs to be both poisoned and bleeding for the cure to kick in, but it is supposed to be poisoned OR bleeding.

Sorry bout that, already fixed and will be out next update.

advance warning though: the game will be tougher next release, as it is now it is too easy :) So enjoy getting to the lich tower hile it lasts hehe.

19. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    Really really enjoying this game. I mostly like the way the dev set up the user interface. It's a really fun time with RL elements mixed with RPG.

20. expleo

expleo Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    Computer Guy
    Norway
    glad you like it. more content is in the works as we speak, more spells, some more monsters. the lich boss now also have two differented attacks, one magical that can be silenced, magic protected etc, and one staff attack that can be blocked and countered.

don't forget to give good rating at appstore! i sure need evey little bit help that can generate a few sales more ;)