iPhone Lich Tower of Doom RPG - (by Expleo Risvold)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Mar 12, 2014.

1. phandaal

phandaal Well-Known Member

May 19, 2012
    Great little game so far. Needs some polish so keep up the good work on squashing those bugs!

I'm a little confused about the meditate ability. Is it only supposed to restore energy, because in the help file it talks about restoring mana?

2. expleo

expleo Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    Computer Guy
    Norway
    thanks. the new build us hopfully out soon, adding fixes and content.

the meditate restores energy, using mana. The helpfile is under revision based on feedback

3. Felonious Tub

Felonious Tub Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Any word yet on the update?

4. expleo

expleo Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    Computer Guy
    Norway
    I have the update on my ipad (norwegian store) now, so it should hit the various stores today

The release is a mix of changes already done by release date, + hopfully a final solution for town portal purchase, infinite inventory and the movement sensitivity: player can choose between 3 different modes to find what best suit their device and play style.

The fix was out within a day, but the app got hung up in itunes between 'binary received' and 'waiting for review', so it took a few days extra (had to be manually sorted out by app review team).

Next on list is to fix a couple of other issues, look for more strings that ends up in a 'no icons active' and look into a couple of requests.

Almost completed graphicaly is a rescue prison-mini quest and a locked room with a better item to be found within, but this will be hold back a bit more.

5. Felonious Tub

Oct 3, 2010
    Woo hoo, thanks for the update. The inventory and town portal bugs are gone. I'm still having a bit of issues with the swipe controls. It's better but I still go the wrong way sometimes. Not a deal breaker though.
    Managed to smash one orb on my first try post update. Not too bad I suppose.

6. expleo

expleo Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    Computer Guy
    Norway
    If you experience movement issues, others probably do the same, even if I don't manage to recreate it.

The movement works like this when you put down your finger, the x and y area of press is recorded. when you have moved same direction more than a certain treshold, a movement is triggered.

For the widest sensitivity setting, the threshold is equal to 3 tiles wide.

I might need to add a dpad, or if you have other info how you use the swipe, feel free to use the contact mail.

7. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    What about using something like Sword of Fargoal's movement? I don't even know how to describe it, other than it's sort of like swipe but a lot smoother and you can keep your finger on the screen.

But yeah, a dpad as an option is always great :)

8. Bewi

Bewi Well-Known Member

Hi,

Even with the update, I still have some issues with swipe controls. When I put my finger on the screen, sometimes the character moves even before I begin to swipe, even with the sensitive parameter. A dpad might really help. But I agree with Jorlen, Sword of Fargoals uses swipe controls with no problem at all.

I encounter a much much nastier bug : when I close the app from multitasking panel, I lose my save game. Do the game keeps progress only on memory ? You need to make a persitent save, that's really the biggest problem at the moment.

But thanks for being so reactive, the game does not need a lot more to be really good and enjoyable.

9. expleo

expleo Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    Computer Guy
    Norway
    jorlen, a sword of farogal movement dont work too well as it currently works.

bewi, I'll see if I can also add d-pad as option instead of swipe.
    current fixes involve a teleport to exit fix, adition of a couple new features/animations and possible attemp at trying universal build.

it is unfortunatly a tad back on my prioritising list, I have to focus on work that pays the bills :) so far lich tower has a rather huge - in front of the revenue number, something that wont have any remedy by adding and fixing :/ but it will come.

10. expleo

expleo Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    Computer Guy
    Norway
    New build soon ready to be submitted

Just a little heads up, last checking before submitting a new build, hopfully out within a week or two time, somwhat depending on apple-gods.

So, by request, d-pad is added with player choice of 4 different locations of the arrows.

Also, hopfully the last situation where fast-tappers would end up in a 'all button greyed out have to pause and resume game' state is fixed.

A new staff 'uppercut' is added for mages with kazabar and staff skills, stunning enemies.

The shield-wielding opponents have been trough some training, and can block staff and dagger attacks.

A new trap is introduced, stripping the mage og some precious mana.. ouch.

A new and larger treasure chest can be found, containing an item with 2-4 (and if you are lucky, even more) X power of the other stuff you can find on that level. This chest is locked in sealed rooms, and found rarely. It might or might not be worth the risk/effort to search for the lever on the floors you get a 'you hear a gate shut in the distance' hint on.

And some general tweaks, fixes and typos.

11. Felonious Tub

Oct 3, 2010
    The update is out now. I'm loving the D pad option. I've always had issues with the swipe controls. Now, I've got no issues going in the wrong direction.

I found one of the locked treasure rooms, awesome find. I ended up making it to the tower, but didn't make it too far past that.

I love this game, it's one of the best roguelikes on the App Store.

12. expleo

expleo Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    Computer Guy
    Norway
    Hi, I'm glad the dpad worked for you. The release got delayed for a couple of weeks actualy, I had just uploaded for review and found a nasty bug when you entered new level in dpad mode.

I know there is also a grahical glitch for the chest in the locked room, it is fixed for next build.

Also already coded/art created a bit more varied stuff for the dungeons:

-Added a gang of thugs led by Raghnar (a new boss). The thugs (an archer, sword and shield fighter and a thief) will be tougher than what the opponents on that level would normaly be. They are there to loot, and you risk findinng them on any level until Ragnhar is defeated.

-Added obelisk (so far only the mana one is on place), high chance to find one on each level floor, restoring all health, energy or giving a good mana boost.

-Changes to sneak skill and invisibility. If invisible, player will do a new animation type ('stab' motion) for a shot at dealing decent damage before the combat begins. Sneak now also have shot at doing the same stab on the visible monsters, in addition to avoiding the hidden ones.

-Caltrops now also have a chance to damage opponents who 'win' the fight round (as opposed to now when they only gives them a - to hit)

-WIP: free the prisoners. Townspeople have been captured and can be found around the dungeons, for added score and some gold reward from happy relatives.

And, probably the one thing I am having most desicions issues over: 'forced' line of dungeons. You dont get to choose, but instead an adventure will be a bit more streamlined with text, and you get a random set of 3 dungeons you need to win. One game this might be sewers,prison,caverns, the next game it is graveyard,sewers, cultist halls.

This might be a decent sulotion for those who don't want to go read the few paragraphs on online help for backstory, to give a drive of story, but I'm not 100% sure. I do have my own personal preferred route of dungeons to visit, and in what order, and you loose that freedom and choice if you have to do a determined path.

On the drawing table:

- 'Kazabar heroes', new bosstypes who have wandered into the varied dungeons to seek fame and glory. They are not your friends, and they are tough, for random encounters.

- 'Lich portals'.. the lich have sent out searching eyes to find troublemakers like yourself.. when you come across them, you have X rounds to win, or the eye will summon a portal with a more tough opponent. Will be event instead of the hidden map enemies.

If you like the game, tell your friends so I don't have to fund all these upgrades from my own pocket all the time ;)

13. Felonious Tub

Oct 3, 2010
    I think the forced line of dungeons is a cool idea. I live the challenge and surprise that comes with a rogue like. Being able to choose which dungeons I go into, generally means I end up choosing the easier ones. I'd enjoy the oh crap moment when I see the first dungeon as being a nightmare.

The other new ideas sound great too.

People, support the dev, buy this game.

14. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    I admit I've been waiting for some patches before making the jump.

Can anyone summarize this roguelike real quick? I own every RL on IOS/Android so feel free to reference that or most PC ones.

Also, parden my confusion but are D-PAD controls now in, or was that the patch that got delayed due to a last minute bug?

Thanks guys and keep up the good work!

15. Felonious Tub

Oct 3, 2010
    I'm bad at summarising these things but I'll give it a go, remember if my description is bad, the game is still awesome.

You need to break three orbs before being able to defeat the main boss. You find the orbs on the fifth level of each dungeon. Once you go into the dungeon, you can only see one space around you, you might see treasure or monsters. When you move you have a chance to get ambushed, trip a trap or find some treasure. You need to find your way to the stairs to go deeper into the dungeon to get to the orb.

As you go, you get some pretty cool weapons, armour abilities and so on. The combat is done by choosing either melee or magic attack. The outcome is sorted out by rolls in the background but you get some pretty cool animations showing the battle going on. The way the battles go is random which adds to the fun.

I think it does have a Fargoal sort of style, but definitely not a clone. I think it's a very original game. And pretty punishing.

And the D pad is included with the latest update, I recommend it. I think it should be the default option to be honest.

If you want to ask some specific questions, I can help out better than this. Here's an example.

Q1: Should I buy this.

A: Yes!

16. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    Thanks Felonius. I can't resist a good and challenging roguelike, so I'm sold :)

17. expleo

expleo Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    Computer Guy
    Norway
    And as a bonus, most reasonable suggestions from players are implemented as well :) Like the D-pad would never see the daylight unless Felonius here reported he had issues with the swiping, even after the swipe sensibility change.

All comments wrote here, on email or appsore reviews are read and considered. Unless your comment is something like one on the us appstore 'worst game I ever played, wasted money', (If I could do something like them as well, like refund the money or something, I would), everything is considered.

And that's not bad for a game not even close of breaking even :)

Anyway, any game related issues, comments or questions, I'd happily answer.

A bit on the 'random' stuff that happens in combat: there is a system to it all, but perhaps a bit diffucult to see.

You have ability to use item, melee or magic attack. Magic attack have bonus to hit, and gives more damage (to most monsters, some have nasty resistance to magical damage). Every 5'th round you get a check for passive spells (these are mostly buffs and protections).

After performing a melee (or magic) attack, there is a series of checks to see if there is an attack-string going. The mage has skills from kazabar (unarmed/staff skills), brotherhood (thievery/dagger skills) and magical attack skills (blast, shadowquake).

You can get a pretty long sting of events if lucky (and skilled)

Each skill is classified as 'magic, ka-zabar or brotherhood', and all subskills get a bonus from the 'root' skill class (for example: the check if you perform a dagger riposte is based on both the dagger riposte skill, and supported with brotherhood skill). The skillrange is roughly 0-100 (roughly, because it is possible to have more than 100).. but you can see it as a guidance.

Not all skills are a 1-1 compared to other skills. The cunning skill for example, you get simple enough your skills chance to disarm a trap: 40 skill gives 40% chance at disabling them.

Other skills scale a bit with dungeon number and dungeon level, so you need higher number to perform on the later dungeons instead of the first.

The offensive magical skills works something like this:
    You always have a magical electrical staff-charge in the 'bottom'. All other offensive spells are better, and add other effects: shocking grasp can stun the enemy a bit (giving - to hit), poison with the poison web, regain some health with the vampire touch etc. It is somwhat 'clever', so you don't cast a spell of combat healing if a regular spell would kill the monster, and you don't cast spell of silence on a non-magical user

(that said, silence and combat heal is considered to be moved to passive spells, and add some other cool offensive spells).

The reasoning is that in most RPG you get one spell dealing 1-2 damage.. you level up, and get a new spell that deals 2-3 damage.. you use that until you level up and get a new spell that deals 2-5 damage. To make variations, devs simply add varied ressistances to various monsters so you can't cast fire spell of fire resistant monsters. So you get in a habit of using the same set of spells (buffs or damage) all the time, they just increase numbers as you level up.

So, it is an attempt at doing it in a different way. All spells cost the same to cast, but the effects varies, and all is good for the player :)

Some combos are better: like the haste spell enhances possible number of hits with both staff and dagger (in adition to the decent bonus to hit), so having haste is far better for a player with good kazabar/staff/dagger skills than a player that relies on damaging spells and passive retrinbution blasts.

I'm sure I could talk all day how it works haha, so again, if you got any specific questions don't hesitate to ask, and I will answer to best of ability and not over bore those not interested.

18. crosseyedmary

crosseyedmary Active Member

Oct 11, 2013
    I still seem unable to save the game. I understood this would be fixed in the latest update. Am I missing something?

19. expleo

expleo Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    Computer Guy
    Norway
    Hi, I am sorry if you got the impression this would be added in this patch. If you wipe memory, the current game is lost. I perfectly understand this might not be ideal if you swap between several memory-consuming apps.

The hard truth is that the implementation for the save you want is somwhat time consuming and very uninspiring coding, and it was on a priority '2', now bumped back a notch as well. Of course, if such feature would get 500+ new players it could somwhat justify the time spent on it, but that won't happen.

So short answer, no this is not in,

long answer.. I hope I can find the time and inspiration to sit down a couple of days and do it someday. It is much more fun adding new stuff :)

20. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    Just read the message about saving, and had some final questions before purchasing.

Saving isn't an issue as long as the games are meant to be fast paced - how long would you say the average game lasts for experienced players?

By "wiping memory" do you mean like, force-closing the app? So if I hit the home button and it just goes in the background, as long as my device isn't rebooted or the app force-closed, I can resume my progress?

Thanks again!