iPhone Lich Tower of Doom RPG - (by Expleo Risvold)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Mar 12, 2014.

1. anabolicMike

anabolicMike Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Ednan and that other dude... Whining? Unable to read? It didn't say it was iPad only before I clicked into it and I wasn't whining. Obviously I was making a joke. The day a game can ruin my day is the day you two can pick up women. (Oooooo burn)

Anyway, If I really wanted to play it id simply buy an iPad. They aren't expensive nowadays and since I've begun dabbling in creating my own games (albeit horrible own games) I could probably use one.

Oh yeah, Little screens better not leave! The whole reason I moved from an Android phone to an iphone is apple packs a lot more power into thier small phone then Anyone else does into a small phone. Plus to be honest the fact that iOS is made for such a small amount of phone models is awesome. It runs so much better then android it's not even funny.

I really want to sell my 10.1 note and buy the new 12.2 note. Heehee that looks like fun! I'll have a tablet for the big screen and for a little screen a phone. I don't wanna carry a book around with me! Did you see that samsung mega? Like??? Whhhaaatttt? ;).

Now that I am done babbling and derailing so far off topic I would like to say that the dev here is missing a lot of market by just including iPads. I will put a watch on the game and when/if he decides to include a universal option, I shall buy it then! Got lots of games to play till then. I "don't need to buy a game". Damn kid thinks he's my mum.

Loading Kotor back up. Why didn't I play this before? ;). I'll play your game later mr. Dev. If it ever goes iphone :).

Thanks my friends

2. expleo

expleo Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    Computer Guy
    Norway
    Glad it is not a total nightmare then :)

But to get real, I'll have a look at the total issues reported and consider it.

3. Bewi

Bewi Well-Known Member

Game Impressions

Hi,

I am liking the game so far, I have to dig into it more to make a more robust impression.

But I have a problem with the swipe controls. When I put my finger on the screen to swipe down, for example, even before I start to swipe, my character goes up. It is a big problem as each move consumes resources and may trigger a fight.

And what's about the mana ? How do you replenish it ? It seems I may run out of it at the first or second floor of a dungeon. But again, I have to dig deeper into the game before I make a judgement.

4. Felonious Tub

Felonious Tub Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Firstly, I'm loving this game. I think the idea is great. Well worth downloading and trying.

I have found a couple of bugs.

1. Sometimes, everything in my inventory keeps replenishing. I can keep using potions and scrolls again and again without loosing anything.
    2. Sometimes, when I cast the return to town spell and try to buy another one, the only option that is on the screen is to sell it back. I can't buy another spell.
    3. The swipe controls are a bit off. Sometimes, my character seems to go in a random direction as soon as I touch the screen.

Still a great game.

5. ednan

ednan Well-Known Member

You might have been joking, but if you go on iPad only games you will see the same complaint every time. Oh why not iPhone blah blah blah. :)
    If you play this game you will see that to support a small screen, it will take too much effort and fiddling. The interface, as it is, does not fit by any means a smaller screen, and this game being a niche game, probably do not worth the money spent to adapt to a smaller screen.
    I actually enjoy playing games on a smaller screen, especially when there is some kind of sync between progress, but at the moment I'd rather see the bugs squashed. And as Sanuku said, it'd be better for the developer's image to see the problems addressed.

By the way, if depends on me, you are right, a game won't ever ruin your day, I do not fancy picking up a woman anytime soon :cool:

6. elr0y7

elr0y7 Active Member

Apr 1, 2009
    #47 elr0y7, Mar 14, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
    We'll I've played a bit so I'll put my two cents in:
    After choosing my character I was a bit confused on where I was, and got a bit more confused once I started the dungeons. I ended up learning a lot from the Help guide on the site link, so I would recommend condensing that and putting that in the game, maybe after you choose your character? I didn't see an explanation of how combat really works, does attacking just randomly use your skills based on their stat value? I'd also recommend making a little graphic pop-up that shows what each button on the screen does, and what each meter/number means (health, energy, mana, food). Or not, I learned most of it eventually, and it all kinda adds to the difficulty/challenge. One thing I would add is the ability to see what the items you're carrying do, as well as the weapons and armor.

I've also had the bug described above, when I buy a teleport scroll it pops up saying I found it and I can only sell it. Another bug I've been having is that lines of combat dialogue don't pop up until the next round, so I'll often get two or more lines at once.

As far a the controls go I'd either suggest tweaking them so that they don't misread user input (which can be deadly in this game) or providing other input methods, such as tapping around the character where you want them to move, or a virtual d-pad.

Finally, I think iPad-only games should have their place too, especially in cases where it is specified that they'll be iPad-only beforehand. Saying that, my thoughts on scaling this game down: making the buttons up top smaller, decreasing the size of the animation area, shrinking the numbers and the size of the bars and character icon, and maybe making it so the dungeon map's border is smaller but it scrolls with the character as he moves.

Anyway I'm liking the game so far on my iPad, despite the little bugs and learning curve. Kinda reminds me of a little Dark Souls, throwing you into the world, lol.

One more question: will selecting "New Game" erase my save or are there slots?

7. Duke12

Duke12 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2013
    I just cleared 2 dungeons and stopped for a while. When i restarted my save was gone.

8. ednan

ednan Well-Known Member

Yeah, I noticed my save was gone too :(
    I'm holding off playing this until this stuff is sorted.

9. anabolicMike

anabolicMike Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2013
    yeah, I know about people always complaining about iPad games on iphone. That's why I thought if I play a little bit of an over the top part. I may be Canadian but I guess I'm not a born comedian like some hah. I won't quit my day job. Course, if it was on iphone or android my addiction and I would buy it simply because of what it is hahhah. All good!

And now I like you! :D... Brilliant answer! That's gonna have a grin on my face all day. It's the :cool: . If the :cool: wasn't there I probably would have took it as a depressive statement. But the :cool: that means I'm the idiot hah

10. expleo

expleo Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    Computer Guy
    Norway
    Hi, is this happening no matter where you swipe ? For best controll I would reccomend swipe a location where your char is not placed. If this is a issue I guess I can add a setting to how long a swimpe must be to detect it as a swipe direction.

Also, is this on iPad mini ?

11. expleo

expleo Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    Computer Guy
    Norway
    1-I got this report yesterday as well, it is a situation I have never seen, so have to dig into it. Does it happen when you have restarted a lot, or just out of the blue ?
    2-ok, if this happens only for the portal scroll I think I know the issue. I'll try put in some hours this weekend, if not early next week to push a fix.
    3-Are you on ipad mini ? I'm guessing the swipe sensitivity might need adjusment (or at least a setting)

Sorry for the issues, as much as I'd prefere launching a perfect enough release, that didn't come all true it seems. I'll do what I can to look into these issues asap.

12. expleo

expleo Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    Computer Guy
    Norway
    Hi, thanks for feedback. I will try add a more detailed description of combat on the webpage, after all, the online help was added just so help/tutorials could be changed. Basicaly what happens is a mix of your skills, combination of skills compared to enemy, and a lot of probably too overcomplicated nerdy numbercrunching.

For example, you try to cast a spell and get a bonus to win the round. Opponent wins thoug, and it is a melee char, so you get to check your blocking skill. As you are in 'cast spell' mode, you get a slight negative to the block roll, but you suceeded. If you have a decent block/counter/kazabar/speed initative (and also hasted) you get a shot at counterstrinking. Normaly all attacks cost energy, but you have good skill in meditate and Ka-zabar, so you manage to not spend energy on that counter.

Issues already mentioned will of course be looked into, and to reply about 'new game': it erases all. Now that you mention it it can be a bit dangerous to just plain start a new game this way. Multiple game slots is agreed a better way to handle it, and will be considered.

13. Felonious Tub

Oct 3, 2010
    For the never ending inventory, I've really only noticed it after I've beaten the first dungeon. It starts happening on the second dungeon.

For the swipe issues, I'm using an iPad 3 with the latest updates. I haven't found a technique to avoid the issues yet, however I swipe, I seem to encounter issues.

14. elr0y7

elr0y7 Active Member

Apr 1, 2009
    Ok, that's great, I love RPGs that have complex combat systems but don't bother the player with them. I would probably just state that it's randomized based on your skills and what each skill really improves.

And FYI I am using an iPad Mini. Thanks for the reply!

15. elr0y7

elr0y7 Active Member

Apr 1, 2009
    Also, I've lost my save as we'll... :(

16. expleo

expleo Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    Computer Guy
    Norway
    A few of the most important (seemingly) issues should now be fixed, swipe controll, town portal purchase and inventory, and being sent to appstore with some already done fixes/modifications.

It gives some days to test the build while it is also being processed by Apple, so if nothing too serious is found, the release will be as soon as possible.

I include a list of what is in 1.1, and what is on the 'to do' list. Any other issues or comments, please share here or by email (email ensures it will be read):

1.1 Expansion and patch release:

-new content:
    6 new enemies in the regular dungeons
    1 new kick action for hero + new battle stance

-Assassin
    Assassin only got one life + some tweaks and bugfix, as well as giving score and reward if killed.

-Combat:
    Increased likehood of not using energy with staff/dagger (based on skill and meditate)
    Tweaks to some skills

-Other modifications:
    Swipe sensitivity controll added (better movement on iPad mini)
    Fixes to Inventory and Town portal purchase
    Retribution blast autotriggers after 10 magic blocks (down from 20)
    Increased chance for triggering retribution blast and shadowquake
    Luck factors increased
    Critical chance increased
    Slightly increase in gold found when defeating opponents
    Some modifications to Bard song purchases, skills and enemies
    Bleeddamage capped to max 5 per tick
    Monsters in Lich Tower slighlty boosted

---------

To do/have a closer look at for 1.2 +

Pri 1:
    -Locate all situations that might 'lock' a player in combat, requiring a pause and resume game to continue.

Pri 2:
    -Add remaining player actions/animations
    -Save game state between memory swipes

Pri 3:
    -Better display of items found
    -Descript of selected item in pouch
    -Spelling errors
    -Enhance online help text.

17. Felonious Tub

Oct 3, 2010
    Nice, expansions and bug fixes, bonus.

The stuff on the to do list is some good stuff.

It makes me glad to support someone who puts in the time to follow up with their product.

I'm holding off playing more till the first patch, purely because I don't want to win the game with the broken inventory. I want to win for real.

18. Bewi

Bewi Well-Known Member

I was about to post about all the bugs I encountered like the save game disapearance or the town portal scroll buying pop-up window that would not go away but I have seen the post about the next update. I'll complain later if there are any more bugs after the update.

Having being able to dig further into the game I have to say I love it despite all the bugs. So without them I will love it even more. I find there is too much bad luck for the player though, too much traps for example and far far too much random encounters. That or I am very very unlucky.

But let's see how all that turns out with the update.

19. Duke12

Duke12 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2013
    I dont see the point of adding new content before savebug is fixed tbh.