Universal Levelhead - Platformer Maker (by Butterscotch Shenanigans, Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Apr 29, 2020.

1. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Nooooo, stick around and verbally beat me up for doubting you guys!

(Or sing beautifully, I won't mind. :p)

2. zenmode

zenmode Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2014
    I *loved* their previous game Crashlands, so I’m definitely interested in trying this one out.

Before I buy, I have two questions if anyone wouldn’t mind answering:

1. How’s the experience using the level builder on iPhone?
    2. How’s the battery drain?

3. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    1) Little crammed on a XS, but super easy to use.
    2) It's more than respectable. Think about 25% over an hour 30 to 2 hour period?

4. zenmode

zenmode Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2014
    Glad to hear it’s easy to use. And 25% for 90-120 mins is great, I was hoping it would be something near that.

Thanks for the answers :D

5. PBSNellie

PBSNellie Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Southern CA
    I'll check that out. Thanks.

6. bscotchshenani

bscotchshenani Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2013
    Levelhead will absolutely destroy your battery. Within seconds, your phone will emit a puff of dust from its charging port as it gasps its last breath. We recommend purchasing our exclusive Butterscotch Shenanigans iPhone Gas Generator for portable gaming on the go!

7. skoptic

skoptic Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2015
    This is like liquid fucking gold. I don’t really play platformers, but never doubted that Blattersnatch Shnizziguns were going to make a totally epic game. Playing with a controller is smooooooooth - only played a bit but had to come and declare love, looking forward to getting more stuck in.

macplash and ste86uk like this.
  8. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    Guys, share those profile codes HERE - don't be shy! Let's support each other. We're all friends here, right?;)

9. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    #69 ste86uk, Apr 30, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
    I haven’t done yet as I haven’t done much so there’s probably no point yet is there? Seems pretty hardcore from early on with this game the way some of the things are hidden and those timers that I’ve given up on.

Was enjoying that level after the maya video and finding two secret areas but then it’s too easy to mess up a level. I’d been on it for 5 minutes and then kicked my package out of reach so I had to reset the whole level.

10. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    I'll probably pass on this because I'm not a level maker fan but I'm a huge fan of the company so I hope this becomes very successful. They make wonderful games consistently. I'm glad to see its been well received so far!

11. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    @L.Lawliet well it’s more if your a platform fan rather than level maker because you don’t need to do any of that at all past the tutorial and just play the campaign and endless levels that others create.

12. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    Well. After spending two days straight with this game I just reached 1000 failed attempts from playing other users’ levels. As available to see on my Public profile. Luckily the training campaign doesn’t count into overall statistics, otherwise it’d be probably twice that much.:) On the other hand, I also made two levels already. Pretty basic, true, but it’s just a start. How are you doing?:)

ste86uk and skoptic like this.
  13. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    Holy.... my first level made it from the Marketing department to the Tower’s permanent archives which means it’s been played by 100+ players, yay! I’m so happy.:) If you want to give it a try, check it out: 00m2875

skoptic, ste86uk and Anotherkellydown like this.
  14. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

Seems really well made! Congrats man! I tried it several times on lunch break but couldn’t figure out how to get over the last wall before the portal. Can’t wait to try it after work. I’m gonna beat it! :cool:

After playing for over an hour last night I’ve got a really good grasp on the controls now. Probably gonna download it on Xbox1 or Switch too just so I can play with a controller and to support this hilariously awesome team.

macplash likes this.
  15. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    Thank you! You’re not doing bad either. Your level got played by one of the devs too. That’s quite an honor. Good luck with beating mine though. Apparently it’s beatable in 6 seconds even though I need few more seconds myself, so how are these guys doing it just puzzles me.:) But if you still struggle, I’ll give you a hint:
    There are two paths to reach the end, hence the loop.

Anotherkellydown likes this.
  16. pathogen541

pathogen541 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2016
    WHY!? WHY DID THIS HAVE TO DROP THIS WEEK!? FFS! SO many good titles dropped and im broke as a joke. F THE RONA VIRUS, DRAINING MY BANK ACCOUNT QUICKER THAN RECENTLY SINGLED MOTHER!!!! Gonna be swooping this up to support the B-scotch boiiis. Are all the levels user created? Controller support?

17. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

#77 Anotherkellydown, May 2, 2020
    Last edited: May 2, 2020
    According the the app description, there are 90+ campaign levels and an endless supply of user created levels, so you’re covered there. I think controllers are supported but not 100% positive. I’m going to try my old Mad Catz Mfi controller when I get home from work.

Edit:

According to Jared’s Touch Arcade Game of the Week article (Congrats to the Bscotch gang!), physical controllers are supported.

ste86uk likes this.
  18. geoelectric

geoelectric Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Haven’t bought on iOS yet but just started on Switch (don’t hate, it gives them more money :))

I love the platform bits and I want to love the building bits. But I don’t love this unskippable workshop tutorial I’m having to do before I can platform more than a level or three.

I bailed halfway through and it’s kind of friction coming back now. I’d love to take a break with some other aspect but nothing else in the game is allowed by the tour yet until I put in my build labor.

Might be worth considering making that a separate tutorial track for those of us tipsy people that just wanted to jump on stuff.

If this isn’t in the iOS version too apologies for the noise, but it’s honestly also the reason I’m not double dipping just yet.

ste86uk likes this.
  19. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Really didn’t want to get into the social aspect of this until I start building levels, but screw it...we’re one big family and I love you all.

My info’s here but I’m already following the majority of you, so please check your followers in game for easy access.

20. MetaGonzo

MetaGonzo Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    #80 MetaGonzo, May 2, 2020
    Last edited: May 2, 2020
    1.4k plays now apparently! Well done!

I can get the package but then I’m stuck; I shall persevere. Great work.

Edit:
    Now I have a bit more time on my hands I’m working my way through the training.
    I will never be able to play this properly without a controller; I can barely do the fancier stuff anyway.

The iOS is an editor in my pocket but this is an Xbox game for me really. And that’s fine by me; I love it already and I’ve done basically nothing.

macplash likes this.