Universal Levelhead - Platformer Maker (by Butterscotch Shenanigans, Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Apr 29, 2020.

1. MetaGonzo

MetaGonzo Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    #21 MetaGonzo, Apr 30, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
    The editor pretty much looks like everything I’d hoped for and the sharing system looks fantastic.

I think the controls will take me a bit of getting used to but I think most of my actual playing will be done on Xbox. What I’m most excited about is being able to do a bit of editing on the fly when I’m not stuck at home (whenever that will be).

Typical Butterscotch polish, endless content... yeah; this is going to be great.

Edit:
    Just had a quick go on my Xbox and unsurprisingly it is rather better with a controller.
    One thing I can’t figure out on either platform is how to save to one of the cloud slots rather than locally.
    Anyone had any joy with this vital function? A brief searching was fruitless.

macplash likes this.
  2. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    The cloud saving is for Workshop only. You can have 3 projects synced up and work on them simultaneously on multiple devices. You just drag and drop your desired work in progress levels into the said slot. (You need to tap on the name of the level to be able to drag it)

Everything else is saved and synced automatically using your Rumpus account and linked connections inside it.

MetaGonzo and ste86uk like this.
  3. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    @macplash I’m off to work now and don’t really have time to okay games in the morning but just did the first level and the controls seem great. I loved the intro video and the first level so I’m really looking forward to getting an hour on it on my lunch break.

Can I just ask, does the timer matter at all? I see it has a delivery time target but it doesn’t seem to show stars for passing the level or anything? Or if you do get something for meeting it, is it one of those games where you can do one run at your own pace, kill and collect everything and then do a speed run to beat the time?

4. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    Exactly as you said. We’re talking about camping aka training levels of course. You can do multiple runs to meet certain requirements. Mostly there are 3. Collect all jems, collect all parts of the bug and meet the delivery time. Now, jems resets with each attempt, but if you collect all, the badge is yours - you don’t have to do it every time. For bug parts, those don’t reset. If you pick up a part, every next run it’s already yours and you don’t have to worry about it. I did multiple runs just to collect each part separately in certain levels. And lastly, there’s delivery time. That’s the one for speed runners. Nothing else matters. Jems, bug parts - just to deliver the package as fast as possible.

You see those stats in the upper right corner when your campaign map is displayed with overall completed percentage of your training.

ste86uk likes this.
  5. MetaGonzo

May 7, 2009
    What a bizarrely unnecessary requirement; what’s wrong with dragging the whole thing?
    I’m not sure I would have worked that one out; I had assumed there was some problem with my account preventing cloud saving.

Anyway; you’re a superstar, thank you!

Brace yourselves for some crappy levels!

6. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    That’s probably it. I knew what I’m getting myself into. But to be honest, in retrospect when I fired up the game for the first time on PC, I remember being surprised about complexity of the controls. So, I guess it’s expected to be overwhelmed in the beginning. And there’s a steep learning curve. There are certain hardcore techniques like Super jumps (Jump, grab the box from beneath you, throw it above you, and in mid-air jump from it again) or even ISJ 2.0 (which is basically infinite super jump).

I found great level to practice jumping and grabbing. Because it’s quite essential technique and needs to be mastered. I recommend to grab this level
    gqgz0c3 called "Friendly Nest" by Floppy. I’m having so much fun there. (exchange fun with frustration.. that’s what it was in the beginning)

This is my practice:

ste86uk, MetaGonzo and metalcasket like this.
  7. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    Actually, from what I’ve read it’s been changed. Before there was this circle in the bottom corner of the level icon to grab and drag the whole thing. I guess more detailed description will be added in the future patch to avoid the confusion. It’s been pointed out already AFAIK. But you’re absolutely right. Very difficult to figure it out by ourselves without any guidance.

8. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Excellent! Yeah, I'm definitely getting the hang of it, but there are still times where I feel like I'm on auto-pilot and can't exactly figure out why I'm getting it right. That said, holy effing shit, Levelhead's gotta be one of the most comprehensive titles I've ever played on the App Store and NO corners were cut. My mouth dropped when I found a colorblind option in the options menu!

ste86uk, MetaGonzo and macplash like this.
  9. MetaGonzo

May 7, 2009
    I can’t even get the box out of its starting position!

I’ll never he able to nail those quick reaction sort of manoeuvres. Still, won’t stop me trying!

As a side note that’s the first time I’ve looked up a level.
    Im sure time will tell but when it comes to sharing and curating user content I’m not sure I can remember a game that’s done it as well as this one appears to.

metalcasket likes this.
  10. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    Yeah, right? When I saw that option I immediately thought about you yesterday.:) That you’ll appreciate it for sure. And I wasn’t wrong.;)

metalcasket likes this.
  11. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Always been a BScotch guy (which makes that damn post on the first page annoying) but it's the little details that make all the difference and make one a lifelong fan. Hell, even the rounded corner toggle put a smile on my face. Don't think I've ever seen that before.

And yeah, with an external system like Rumpus, you'd think the game would be all over the place, but just like @MetaGonzo said...everything's done so well, everything's streamlined and you would literally never know this was cross-platform and not running on GC if someone handed it to you to play. Bonkers!

MetaGonzo and macplash like this.
  12. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    What are you talking about? Took me like 20 minutes to do that crap, LOL. I’m gaming since 80s so my reflexes are nowhere close to those of today’s youth, but I’m persistent. Trust me. That never you mentioned will be gone after a few attempts. Maybe a few more on top of that. Point being, it’s perfectly doable even though it may look like impossible task at first.;)

MetaGonzo likes this.
  13. MetaGonzo

May 7, 2009
    Oh don’t you worry; my first games machine was a BBC Model B so I’m guessing we’re of a similar vintage.... and determination!

macplash likes this.
  14. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Posh kid ;) Mine was a Speccy

Still unsure whether to get this, cancelled the pre order at the last second as people were talking about controls. Seems quite difficult the later bits with the jump/pickup/throw type combination. Decisions decisions !

15. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    I’m not a big fan of hardcore platformers. I didn’t enjoy Celeste because it was too hard for my taste. Didn’t even try Super Meat Boy. But Levelhead is something different. Probably because of the social aspect of it. I grabbed it mainly to be creative in the Workshop, but so far I’m really enjoying playing it instead. Especially with easy levels marked as Cake Walk. You see, with all these users’ creations you can play the game endlessly. Even without a challenge if you’ll go for easy levels only.

And after all, this is Butterscotch Shenanigans. The level of polish, production value, artwork quality and whatnot is unmatched. Just going through training campaign and watching all those hilarious videos should be enough to justify the price. But in the end, it’s up to you. I’m just certain you won’t be disappointed. And if you feel like you need to try it first, it’s free on Xbox with Game Pass or on Android with Play Pass.

ste86uk likes this.
  16. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    (Beautiful Singing) Your goods, delivered real good.

ste86uk likes this.
  17. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    Exactly my point, LOL. Hilarious!

ste86uk and metalcasket like this.
  18. dukat111

dukat111 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2010
    Those that played this on both iOS and PC, which platform do you prefer? I like a huge monitor but there's something about how games look on an iPad display that's always tempting.

Playing on iPad, do you prefer onscreen controls or a mifi controller?

19. MetaGonzo

May 7, 2009
    Ugh...
    “Mummy...Mummy! There’s a Speccer at the door and he smells of membrane keyboards!”
    :D

In answer to the controller question; I think it’s always without a doubt going to be better on controller but for levels that don’t ask split second questions of you then the touch isn’t too bad.

20. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    #40 ste86uk, Apr 30, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
    How do I sign out of my account? I created a new one but then when I tried to add my email it says I already have one. But I can’t see how to switch accounts.

Also I messed up the builder tutorial by pasting loads of an area I’d built all over the place and over where you start and now I have to clear it all up to continue with the tutorial.

edit: sorted the building tutorial but I still can’t see how to sign out and sign back in with another ID. I guess maybe I made one for another game and forgot about it.