Universal Levelhead - Creative Platformer from the Crashlands team

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by bscotchshenani, Aug 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bscotchshenani

bscotchshenani Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2013

Levelhead is a creative platformer where you build and share levels to the world. Run, jump, and warp up the corporate ladder of the Levelhead Division in the single-player campaign, research new elements for your very own level-building workshop, then build and publish levels for the rest of the world to play!

>> FEATURES
    + Responsive, joyful platforming - Take control of GR-18, a delivery robot in-training, as you run, jump, and blast your way across a single player campaign and an endless supply of player-generated levels.
    + Effortless, dynamic level building - Hop into the Workshop to create your own levels with more than 60 elements including enemies, hazards, paths, switches, secrets, power-ups, and even alternate game modes.
    + Couch Co-op Creativity - Levelhead lets you play with up to 4 friends on the same couch for some downright hilarious entertainment. And if you want to really reach for those relationship goals, hop into the Workshop with friends and build levels with everyone at once.
    + Build a following, play the world - Publish your Workshop levels to the Levelhub for the world to enjoy, and then fill up your own personalized feed by following creators whose content you love. With robust search and subscription, the Levelhub makes amassing a following and playing quality content from around the world a breeze.

I'll be popping in and out of here the next few days, so feel free to sling questions my way! The game will also be coming to the Switch (didn't know rules about x-posting, so thought I'd just keep it here).

Maxime0683 likes this.
  2. Paul99

Paul99 Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2014
    When is it out?

3. bscotchshenani

Feb 26, 2013
    Aiming for November, for every platform. Quite a lot to do by then!

SOSCC likes this.
  4. Lamestar Games

Lamestar Games New Member

Aug 28, 2018
    Male
    Indie Dev
    Corvallis, OR
    I'm so excited for Levelhead! Looks super fun, can't wait!

5. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Looks great, what are the controls like ? Proper platformer buttons ? (No crazy swipe controls or that ?)

6. bscotchshenani

Feb 26, 2013
    Nope, on-screen controls. We think we've got them in a really good spot, and we also introduced a thing called "Thumb Rolling", which lets you press multiple buttons with one finger - kind of like if you've played a platformer on a controller and used the joint of your thumb to press a button while the tip pressed something else.

The mobile controls are tight enough that we usually steal each others records when we play on our devices, rather than with a keyboard. Controllers are right up there in responsiveness, too, of course, and we'll have bluetooth controller support day 1.

7. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    April 30th for this now. Still seems a lifetime away though.

8. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    @ste86uk I just got an email myself. I've played every single game Butterscotch Shenanigans ever made - this one won't be an exception. Can't wait!

ste86uk likes this.
  9. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    @macplash i loved crashlands and spent so long on it and then since Dadish it’s made me want more platformers so I can’t wait for this even if I’m not the best at creating levels myself.

macplash likes this.
  10. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    @ste86uk sure, Crashlands got me hooked for tens of hours, but I think I spent even more time with Quadropus Rampage. But Flop Rocket was probably my favorite. What I love the most is their Butterscotch Universe where you unlock different stuff by playing all those games. It's just priceless.;)

ste86uk likes this.
  11. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    ste86uk likes this.
  12. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    Who’s getting this?

macplash likes this.
  13. J05H

J05H Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2017
    Missed the ETA by almost 2 years...

14. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    So what? Better late than never. And it’s Butterscotch Shenanigans. If they needed more time to bring the perfection, I’m more than happy to wait. Knowing them I’m pretty sure it was worth a wait. Pre-ordered!

J05H and ste86uk like this.
  15. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    I’ve ordered it too and I agree I know at the time while waiting it sucks but it’s always better to have a game be released when the devs are happy with it rather than just releasing it when it’s not ready and full of bugs or they didn’t get time to include everything they wanted to for launch.

J05H and macplash like this.
  16. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    I’m curious how is the sharing going to be handled on iOS. After all, it’s not as easy as socializing on Steam. I expect Butterscotch Universe being fully implemented of course, but still. Guys from @bscotchshenani were logged in here over a year and a half ago but I’m still hopeful they’ll eventually come back and interact with us. I’d love to hear some more. I’m picking this for iPad no matter what but I’m wondering if I should go with Steam or Switch version as well, just for convenience. Which also brings me to really important query: are all the versions for each platform going to be exactly the same? Will be cross-platform sharing enabled as well?

ste86uk likes this.
  17. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    Hopefully it’ll work well and be cross platform I’d wonder why not if it isn’t.

The new king rabbit releases on the 10th so tonight or tomorrow and that has cross platform play with level sharing. It’s easy to create levels, name them and share them via a code or they just go into rotation for other people to play randomly and they can rate it up or down. It’s nice to be able to see stats too for how many plays, likes, tips and % that completed it. Although I’d like more stats like deaths and resets.

Hooefully this will do something good or similar but more in depth hopefully! It’s cool to see the stats of your creation.

18. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    So I bought the game in Early Access on Steam just out of curiosity and I'm completely in love with it. Although I'm a little bit worried how the controls will be handled on mobile. Just during a tutorial level it's kinda pain with keyboard+mouse. I mean, it requires quite complex stuff like jumping from the package box and grabbing it mid-air (which requires a use of directional arrows to shoot the rope correctly). It's like combination of 3 keys already. (picture attached below) Not to mention doing this while jumping over the large spikes. With controller it's much easier of course. But on mobile I won't be using controller, hence the concern.

Other than that the game is wonderful. It's incredibly funny, it's super-polished and oh my god the level editor! I'm so looking forward to have this on iPad, just to build levels - luckily there's no longer required to progress through campaign to access and/or unlock tools in editor! Hope this will stay the same on mobile as well. I can easily see myself just having fun in editor and not going through the campaign at all. Cause it's like Celeste and Super Meat Boy combined, difficulty-wise. And sharing levels seems to work via codes like in Pocket City, so yay to that.:)

---

Attached Files:

ste86uk likes this.
  19. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    Hopefully they worked out something good for touch controls or that does sound like it’ll be pretty hard!

I’m not very creative but I enjoyed making my first level ever on the new king rabbit so maybe it’s something I could get into.

20. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    I just learned on Discord it’s going to be 8 directional fixed d-pad. And the stuff I was referring to above is allegedly really easy to do. To quote one of the beta testers: “You can grab+jump with a nice slide movement of the thumb.” So, if it’s as easy as it sounds all my concerns are just gone.

ste86uk likes this.