Universal Letterpress Word Game - by atebits

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by sladeums, Oct 24, 2012.

1. KyleMac

KyleMac Active Member

Jul 12, 2012
    #101 KyleMac, Nov 4, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
    It's just not workable though. As it stands there is no guessing; it's just plainly that prefixes of previously played words are blocked which would be done by a super fast string comparison. To block all forms of the same word it would be endless; favourite, favorite, unfavourited, cofavorites, etc. and the game would either need a whole new dictionary format which would mean spending a lot of money, or a half assed inaccurate implementation based on prefixes and suffixes that's unpredictable and annoying.

Did we play more than 1 game? I know I definitely beat you the first time but I don't remember playing you a second time or that I've lost more than twice. It could be that you beat me and I didn't notice and deleted it when I cleared out all the other finished games. It should keep games you've lost up the top until you've looked at them.

VirtualBoyFreak wrecked me last night and he could have won in 3 or 4 moves if he had played "jestful" I think it was. I could have played it to end the game 13-12 (he had the damn S protected) but decided to see if I could make a comeback, which I couldn't. If there were scoreboards it might be worthwhile to end the game with the most points as possible even if you lose, but as it stands it seems better to keep the game alive and hope your opponent doesn't notice that they can win. (An all time scorecard vs each player could be fun.)

I then beat him quickly the next game and now I think he's going to beat me again. I think someone mentioned it earlier in the thread and it does seem like whoever plays the first move has an advantage, which is probably why I win easily against randoms since it rarely finds a game in progress and I get to play the first move probably 75% of the time. If the first word played has a decent length and is all crowded into a corner and results in 3+ protected tiles, then the next player has to start playing offensively before they've even had a chance to secure any protected tiles of their own.

2. nafai23

nafai23 New Member

Apr 18, 2010
    Servers seems to be barely working this morning......

3. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Fully agree. I have 9 replies pending, but can't answer anyone because of the server not loading my games... :(

4. Jet_Black

Jet_Black Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2012
    Not working for me either, I tried a reset/delete/install but still no luck :-(

5. Jdragoon19

Jdragoon19 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    Well, so far, the game seems to working back to normal for me. How about you guys?

6. creedofhubris

creedofhubris Active Member

Aug 15, 2011
    Yeah, it seems like a large advantage. It would be nice if when you challenged someone it randomly determined who went first. Or, once rematch button gets implemented, the loser gets to go first.

Of course, clearing out the bugs so that everyone can actually play should come first.

7. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    Weird! I unlocked the full game on the day of release and have played Letterpress every day since, but this morning it behaves like it is not upgraded. The app has no "restore purchases" button; will I get charged again if I go through the "upgrade" option?

8. Drakeer Melkhor

Drakeer Melkhor Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2010
    Freelance
    Spain
    No, you will not be charged again.

9. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    Thanks, Drakeer! Given your message, I went through the process and at the last step it told me I won't be charged.

10. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I had the same problem several days ago - it switched back to unpaid. No problem "buying" it again, without being charged.

11. Dirtypancakes

Dirtypancakes New Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Not finishing the new quitting

Yeah, people are definitely choosing to not finish games. They don't even have the dignity to resign even though the game does not keep win/loss records. I think 48 hours without a move ending the game could definitely help the situation.

12. Brimah

Brimah Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I like cookies too and do read them.

Oh, 1.1is live.

13. cjsbug

cjsbug Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Los Angeles
    hehe, nice update comments:

What's New in Version 1.1
    - Rematch! (requires iOS 6 or newer)
    - Option to silence sounds. FYI I worked really hard on those sounds. No, no, go ahead, turn off the sounds if you want.
    - Added words to the dictionary (and removed a few goofs).
    - Fixed "Tell a Friend" via Facebook. People use Facebook?
    - Clearer instructions. Yes, days of the week are proper nouns. No, they are not allowed.
    - Handle servers errors a bit better. CROSS YOUR FINGERS THAT'S SOME GNARLY CODE.
    - Less bugs! Not that I'm saying there were any bugs before. But there are definitely fewer now.
    - Fixed syncing deleted games across devices.
    - Tiles are now tappier when you tap tiles fast. Tap tappity tap tap.
    - I like cookies.
    - Send Game Center friend requests right from the app! Holy moly! So cool! Friend your friends with the friendlier friender!
    - In-app purchases are less forgetful.
    - Does anybody read these? Helloooooo?

14. BloodFidelity

BloodFidelity Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Cinematographer (Director of Photography, Camera O
    Los Angeles
    Any chances on adding leaderboards to record our wins against our friends? Achievements would be awesome too!

15. andysmash

andysmash Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Your only complaint is this multiplayer game is multiplayer? That's amazing.

16. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    My complain is the notifications. I don't know what's going on with the servers, but once every 5 minutes a 1 appears in a red circle indicating I have a new word in the only match I have. When I enter, there's no new word. When I quit the game the notification disappears, but it reappears 5 minutes later. I'm beginning to get tired of the notification system of this game...

17. Eoghann

Eoghann Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    IT Guy/Graphic Designer/Gamer
    New York
    Can someone please point me to the Add Me thread for this game if there is one? If not, and if you're willing to play a good game of LP, add me. GC is Banana Fractions. I don't quit matches. I tough them out till the end. :)

And on the request please specify you want to play LP. So I can have a separate list for you guys.

Thanks!

18. SuperWeird

SuperWeird Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Is there no way to turn off push notifications in this game? How annoying. Please somebody tell me I'm wrong or this game is getting deleted promptly.

19. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    Go into the Settings app, find Notifications, then find Letterpress. You can deactivate notifications, sounds, and if it shows up in notification center.

You could also delete it and reinstall. When it asks for permission to send push notifications deny it access.

20. SuperWeird

SuperWeird Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Letterpress does not show up anywhere under Notifications in my Settings app. I also tried deleting and reinstalling and it doesn't ask if I want push notifications or not. As far as I can tell there's no way to turn them off. I hate push notifications, gonna have to delete this app I guess.