Universal Letterpress Word Game - by atebits

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by sladeums, Oct 24, 2012.

1. AlexsIpad

AlexsIpad Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2012
    London, England
    The game need to have:
    - the option of a constant game that you start and have to play until its finished, with 30 seconds to enter a word. The current system of sending a word only for it to be responded to hours later is boring to be honest.

2. LazerTag

LazerTag Active Member

May 9, 2012
    Just played my first perfect win game on this. 25 - 0. Game is really fun but I swear some people have to be sitting with a dictionary or some anagram program. The words they come up with simply are not your normal vocabulary by any means very often. Anyway it was fun to sit and play this single game this afternoon with that user. Now I wish you could do "play again" with folks.

3. KyleMac

KyleMac Active Member

Jul 12, 2012
    I had someone only play 10+ letter words which were mostly things like strange chemical names, so I'd be 95% sure they were cheating. But they didn't do a good job of protecting their tiles and slowly reduced the number of uncoloured tiles until I could win 13-12. Made for a fun game to be honest, and still only took about 8 moves each to finish.

There is some rematch ability in this app. Go to invite a friend and change to the recent tab and it will include people you've recently played, including non-friends. You can then send them a GC invite without adding them as a friend.

4. Monolith

Monolith Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2010
    Yeah, this game is going to get boring fast once all the words-with-friends-cheaters arrive.

If gamecenter ever gets fixed, a quickplay mode with 30s intervals would be a fun solution to that problem.

5. KyleMac

KyleMac Active Member

Jul 12, 2012
    I played WWF every day for probably 12-18 months but suddenly quit 6 months ago for some reason. I didn't even slowly burn out, just suddenly stopped.

But in all that time I only ever ran into 3 or 4 obvious cheaters. By that I mean people consistently playing strange words like chemical names, but not including commonly known Scrabble words like "Qi" or well placed multiword tiles. Usually playing big words just sets up your opponent for double or triple words so they were usually easy to beat anyway and cheating wasn't a big problem. What you have to remember about games like this is that being a narcissist and showing off your vocabulary will lose the game, you have to win by strategy (though in Letterpress you seem to win more by attrition than attack). My main problem with WWF was that most players were terrible and rarely scored above 350 or just quit when I got 100+ ahead (a good player understands that you will fall behind sometimes and can still comeback, I've lost 200+ leads at times).

But this is why the rematch button is so important. You rematch anyone who played well and after a while you have collection of good opponents who will rematch you back for months ahead.

6. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I only play with friends, so the issue of cheating randoms isn't a big deal to me. The couple times I did play a random, I crushed them. I'm pretty sure they weren't cheating. LOL! Anyway, it's a non-issue if you play with friends.

Also not too interested in a time limited turn game - there's plenty such games out there if you want that kind of thing. I like that this isn't timed and I have time to look over the grid. But I'm fine with adding that for those that want it, of course, as long as it's a separate mode.

7. Monolith

Dec 20, 2010
    Wow, seriously? I couldn't play it for more than a couple days. Hell, even the format of being able to input as many combinations as you want until you find a word that "works" was a bit irksome. Athough this game has the same weakness.

8. Brimah

Brimah Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    With the easy ability to cheat, wouldn't mind a fast paced version. 30 seconds seems short, but guess would be a rush for shorter words. Also don't really want a win lose ratio as cheaters will scew it IMO.

Can't wait for these server errors to end as well as a rematch button. Great game.

9. KyleMac

KyleMac Active Member

Jul 12, 2012
    #69 KyleMac, Oct 27, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
    As I've found more opponents that know how to play I've started to dislike the end game being when all tiles are coloured.

The problem is that every game dissolves down to 3 uncoloured tiles which are impossible to make a word with (something like C, X, and B) but using even one of them will allow the next player the game ending move (which should also win them the game if they're not stupid). It seems to me that every game against a sensible opponent enters a phase of trench warfare until someone purposefully surrenders or you play out all the possible words (all of my opponents have surrendered so I don't know how long that'd take). Pretty boring and frankly playing against that cheater had more thrills.

I can see three possible solutions:

1) A turn limit, which is pretty bleh.
    2) Colouring all the tiles doesn't end the game immediately but 5 turns later. This would add some offensive and risk taking to the game since you'd have to decide if you have enough protected tiles to make a dash for the end.
    3) All tiles coloured and some kind of match point system, like a 5 point lead.

10. chid

chid New Member

Aug 30, 2012
    You guys are over thinking casual gaming :)

Haha but I agree about that point about finishing !

11. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    I just spelled "desexualizing"...

12. Monolith

Dec 20, 2010
    Welp, I seem to have figured out the gamecenter issues. I deleted Letterpress and they went away!

Seriously, GC connects easily for all my other games now. I think Letterpress is somehow breaking GC.

13. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Was that with me? I had someone spell that same word a few hours ago. (GC is sweetdiss)

14. Raiel

Raiel Member

Oct 1, 2012
    Completely love this game. If you're into word games at all, download it now.

Think of it as a fast paced boggle-ish sort of game, crossed with a sort of GO/reversi board. It's fast paced, clever and satisfyingly competitive.

15. McCREE

McCREE Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2010
    #75 McCREE, Oct 27, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
    With regard to endgame...

Thoughts on some kind of system where if no uncolored tiles are played on six consecutive turns (3 turns each), the game ends on the seventh, with the player leading in score winning?

I agree that the current style of play can lead to some frustration towards the end.

EDIT: on second thought, 6 doesn't sound like a lot. Maybe 20. Some way of continuing a territorial strategy but still knowing there's a ribbon to cross somewhere down the line.

16. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    How come "June" not be accepted? Do you spell June in any other way?

17. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    Most word games use the Scrabble Tournament Word List which is does not allow proper nouns.

You CAN use march, may and august because they have other, non-proper noun definitions though.

18. kiancheong

kiancheong Well-Known Member

Saturday is not in the dictionary too, unfortunately.

19. MrLogan

MrLogan Member

Jun 23, 2012
    Call it a tie if uncolored tiles aren't touched

Yeah, the "trench warfare" endgame is really annoying. If the game had achievements or a leaderboard, I'd say that after 5 or so turns where no uncolored tiles are touched, the game should be declared a tie. I'd really also like a move timer; if your opponent doesn't make a move in 24 hours, they forfeit the game.

If there is a leaderboard, maybe they could have some type of chess-like ELO scoring? Don't know if Game Center supports that or not.

20. DigitalB33R

DigitalB33R Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2010
    Features that should be added

-tabs for ongoing games, completed games
    -more game modes/options like time and turn limits
    -option for automatically loss if game turn not made within the set date