Lets talk smartwatches

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Fireball926, Mar 12, 2015.

1. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    I actually had an argument with a friend over something like this, the bigger the mess up if the person sending text, the quicker they expect you to reply.

I was in the bath and when I got out I had 8 missed called and ten texts from a friend who is planning to get married next year, she had seen a dress on ebay and as she doesn't have an account (she thinks it's not safe but is happy to risk my details though) she thought she'd get me to buy it for her, the item ended while I was in the bath, apparently I've ruined her wedding by not having my phone with me in the bath so that I'd get her message and then bid, pay for and wait in for delivery (and the return as it was it way too small). Told her it's her job to get her dress for her wedding, not mine.

2. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Yeah, it's turning into a weird culturally acceptable thing to be instantly available to everyone and I really don't dig it. I suspect it's because we've got an entire generation of teenagers/young adults now who basically grew up with this kind of thing being totally normal/acceptable. It makes me feel old to yearn for the days when I could say, "Tell them I'm not home" to another family member answering the phone and be undisturbed.

I've got friends who do the same shit in sending me a text message, another text message asking if I'm there, another text message asking if I'm OK, another text message asking me if my phone is working, etc. Meanwhile I'm just rolling with my phone on DND and don't even notice the dozen things they've sent me.

3. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I tell ya mobiles can be evil !

Back in the 90's you could tell your girlfriend 'just going to Garys house, see ya tomorrow' and then go off to a club etc and party.

Now its 'why did you turn off your phone ?' etc ! No escape !

Plus theres the whole generation of people who have to take a photo of their food to put on facebook or think they're important by putting their views of stuff or news on twitter.

Part of me loves mobile phones, the other part wishes it was back to the 90's where you were more 'free'

4. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    #24 bigrand1, Mar 13, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
    I understand what you guys are saying about the 'constant need to be connected' thing! Always being the kind of guy who does things his own way regardless of what others might want, (and it does go against me a lot, as you'd expect), long ago, I decided to put my foot down and say NO! I don't WANT to be connected all the time! It becomes a serious problem because people expect you to be like everyone else and always be available like they are. If I'm out and you need to get ahold of me, call my land-line and I'll get back to you (maybe)!! For business I have a separate phone just for that, but that's different. The worst part is when family members say 'what if there's an emergency?' And I get it, but I always think, "it was always fine before before all this cell phone business!" I don't want an umbilical cord tied around my neck all the time! So now after all this time, people don't expect me to always answer, get their text right away, etc. and get back just like that 'cause they know I might not even have my phone on me! But it's cool. (Imagine that! OMG! How selfish!) But whatever. That's my way. They'll call my wife instead. (better her than me! She embraces being connected) She'll relay a message if needed. A long time ago, there was a famous rock band who wrote. " You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometime, you'll get whatcha need." And it works for me a lot! Just sayin'.

5. Mobot_James

Mobot_James Member

Jan 18, 2015
    Amen!
    Agreed. We certainly have become subservient to our devices.
    Sort of ironic they constantly pitch communication tech as giving us more "freedom".

Having said that I always try to be open to everything support innovation. Im excited to see where this goes and what people can come up with.

6. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    Î agree.

Most people simply got turned into slaves by their mobile devices.