Lets LIST: The best "full" games that feel at home on iPad

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by DrRadon, Dec 10, 2018.

1. DrRadon

DrRadon Active Member

Mar 9, 2012
    Hey guys,

its Christmas Season and i am getting attacked by Switch Deals left and right trying to avoid buying a new console for Mario and Zelda games while i still have tons of PS4 games, Steam Games and a largely unplayed iPad laying around.
    So i was thinking about the wast amount of Apps on the AppStore and how hard it is to find them in-between all the Free2Play games that seem to mostly focus on getting your screen time up by grinds. Maybe we can help each other finding games that are largely a full game experience, no just by the fact that they are a "full game" but also by the fact that they play best or at least "evenly matched to other Platforms" on iPad.

I am open to your list being however you like it, but i was thinking in thee categories.

1. Mainstream compatible
    Think Civilisation, X-Com, Monster Hunter World, Football Manager Touch (?), The world ends with you
    Now you might say "i hate X-Com on iPad because they took many of the cutscenes" and that's okay as well, i just feel the general experience translates very well from PC (like better than it translates to PS4 for example).
    I don´t even mind having episodical games like Tell Tales the Walking Dead on here. Darkest Dungeon might also feel very much at home on iPad.

2. Retro
    Retro i would call games like Final Fantasy, even if the remake got new graphics the grind play style and old school storytelling still make it an "old" game. Stuff like Baldurs Gate would fall in the same category while i would debate if it even fits the iPad best.
    I would not neccecerly call Ace Attorney because it feels very at home on todays devices and in todays playstyle, you are however free to disagree and list it as a cool retro game that plays A+ on the iPhone/iPad.

3. Niche
    Niche i would call games like Six Ages or Steins;Gate, just because they don't feel as easily accessible by the majority of the western gamer.

The main mark alongside the quality is that it needs to play best or just as good on iPad in your opinion. Now you are absolutely are entitled to list whatever you love to play on iPad! But to clarify how i think about this:

I rather play monster hunter story on iPad with its turn based system while i strongly prefer playing monster hunter world on my PS4 compared to playing a game "alike" like monster hunter freedom unite on my iPad.
    I personally would much rather play a game like Baldurs Gate on my Computer than on the iPad. Just because it feels more at home to me with a mouse in hand.

I say this because at points i feel like some games gets ported just so we can say "look at this game being on iPad", maybe we even buy it... but who really did in tens of hours on Baldurs Gate 2 on iPad? (i am fully expecting to be grilled for claiming this, but yeah, for me its just been installed and deleted 20 times by now...)

So lets get THE LIST going! =)

2. ddunham

ddunham Active Member

Oct 5, 2011
    Software Developer
    Tacoma, WA
    I found I played a lot more Sunless Sea on my iPad than my Mac. Probably because it’s so heavily story based, and reading just feels better holding your screen like a book while sitting on the couch. (Which is why IMO Six Ages and KoDP are also very much at home on iPad.)

HelperMonkey likes this.