Let's have at it: What's the *best* vertical shooter?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by tosui, Mar 5, 2009.

1. fiskadoro

fiskadoro Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    Another vote for Sentry Alpha.

I like the accellerometer control over using a finger. I also like the way the ship you control and the enemies are small, so you have a large playing area and the ability to scroll off screen.

Too many of the vertical shooters seem to cram too many things into the small iPhone screen and feel claustrophobic, but that's just my humble view.

2. ChrisJefferson

ChrisJefferson Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2009
    doit doit doit doit doit doit doit doit doit! :)

3. Steve2000

Steve2000 Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Sky Force obviously. It's not even close.

4. s0mah

s0mah Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    failing PHY tests
    little town of bethlehem
    #24 s0mah, Mar 5, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
    Does that come with a side of sound effects, plz?

ps

Someone port Radilgy for me thx. It looks like this:

5. aleceiffel

aleceiffel Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2009
    art supply buyer/artist
    Oregon
    agreed

6. caywen

caywen Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Wow, what a surpise

Wow, it's quite a surprise to see Sentry Alpha being discussed so much here. I'm really both gratified and humbled at some of the comments I'm seeing here. I personally think Sky Force is a heck of a game, and a pretty high standard to compare a vertical shooter to. That 2D/3D hybrid engine is nifty.

Some other vertical shooters are coming out, and believe me, within a few months, Sentry Alpha is going to start looking kind of ghetto. Because of that, I'm hard at work at a followup release :)

Cheers,
    Kevin

7. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    #27 Big Albie, Mar 6, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2009
    For what it's worth, I did a quick comparison on the other thread between Sentry Alpha and Sky Force. Plenty of people still believe Sentry Alpha is the better shooter. Here's the thread (scroll down) http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=6348&page=6

8. caywen

caywen Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Big Albie,

Yeah I saw that. Great comparison, right on the money! I think Sentry Alpha definitely has a different feel despite being the same genre. I did try my best to make the experience unique and tried to avoid too much screen chaos. That's just my personal preference - I never did like bullet hell, though I understand the appeal.

Cheers,
    Kevin

9. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Okay, I just tried Skyforce Reloaded, and while I haven't been able to spend much time with Sentry Alpha yet, I give my +1 for it being the better game. Skyforce has better visuals (though I do like the look of SA), but the gameplay of SA is better from what I've experienced so far. I guess I got spoiled having experienced Skyforce on a device with a real control pad, but to me it loses a lot when I have to control it with my finger. Plus, it did seem a tad sluggish, which I imagine had something to do with those fancy graphics :)

10. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    #30 currymutton, Mar 6, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2009
    Please do so!!!

rRootage needs only sound and speed improvement, i.e.

[edit] No vote yet: Dropship, Blue Attack!, SA, rRootage, Space DeadBeef (longish), iDracular(???) keep me busy when I can find time for them. So BA, you are right on the other thread, I need something else...[/edit]

11. RM imagery

RM imagery Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Photographer (interiors, architecture, abstract ar
    Long Island, NY
    hey Kevin,

Would you consider adding touch control to your next game? I love games that offer both methods...

12. thinkdontpray

thinkdontpray Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    i would kill for someone to do a iphone enhanced version of either raiden or raiden 2. hell, id take a straight port and pay 5 bucks for that!

oh man, so many memories from high school. wasting away my money and my free perioid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vfvmt2okNAU

13. Ventura

Ventura Well-Known Member

Yeah I'd like to see that too. I'd much rather use my finger than tilt to control movement.

14. tosui

tosui Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    I'm all in for that.

Also, I love being able to actually *tap* to fire, rather than the "always on" option a lot of games have. Any possibility of this in the new version?

15. tosui

tosui Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    Thanks for pointing that out, Big A! Very nice comparison & very helpful. I'd recommend it for anyone perusing this thread.

(Shameless excuse to use the word "peruse" :D Next I'm gonna try for "unctuous"! - Sam & Max fans know what I mean :p)

16. le'deuche123

le'deuche123 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    I really like sky force, but sentry alpha is just a more "mature" shooter if that makes sense....Calibration is also spot on...Kudo's on SA it's beautiful..

17. caywen

caywen Member

Dec 23, 2008
    I definitely will consider touch control in the next game. However, I'm not thrilled with the current style of touch control employed by most vertical shooters, so I will experiment with some alternative methods to see if I can do any better.

-Kevin

18. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    Bottom line, the key difference between Sentry Alpha (accelerometer) and Sky Force (touch) are the controls and what you're comfortable with. For me, the controls are just as important as the graphics, and they can make or break a game.

19. romulus

romulus Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2009
    ++++100!!!

20. Pal Van Marrsterhausen

Pal Van Marrsterhausen Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2009
    If your a fan of 1942 try the newly released ifighter lite.

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=308614334&mt=8

Attached Files: