Let's boycott Sega

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by BOWB4ZOD, Jul 17, 2009.

?

No more sega games

1. To hell with sega

54.6%
  2. I will still buy them

12.1%
  3. I don't care

31.2%
  4. What's a sega?

2.1%
  1. Alichan76

Alichan76 Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Sorry, I converted Euro's into Dollars not Pounds. Actually, as if it matters, its 330, 59 USD:eek: But as you say, not exactly much of a dent in their bank account really...

2. BOWB4ZOD

BOWB4ZOD Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Director, Producer, Editor
    Ontario, Canada
    Good thing is I never bought any of the games. But I want to buy them and will not because the ports are liquid crap.

3. BOWB4ZOD

Dec 4, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    #63 BOWB4ZOD, Jul 18, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2009
    So are your saying unless a company is killing people or the like then we can't boycott them?
    Seems a bit ridiculous.

4. iGoofE

iGoofE Member

Mar 2, 2009
    I 100% agree with the boycott

I have Sonic and Golden Axe. These were GREAT games back in the day, and was so excited when I could purchase these games for my iPhone. I was EXTREMELY disappointed when I played these badly ported games.

Hopefully SEGA smartens up and makes better ports in the NEAR future

5. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    Please contribute more to the discussion than baseless insinuations. I will only repeat myself once.

6. Alichan76

Apr 15, 2009
    In the arts, 'you are only as good as your last performance'...I rest my case.

7. starjimstar

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    #67 starjimstar, Jul 18, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2009
    Orson Wells is not widely remembered for lending his voice to Unicron in the Transformers Movie. And Sarah Brightman's most notable work is certainly not Repo: the Genetic Opera. Friedrich Nietzsche progressively lost his mind as the syphilis took hold and his later works are not generally regarded as his best. Thriller was not Michael Jackson's last effort. In fact, Beethoven is the only artist I can think of who just got better and better right until the end. It is probably extremely rare for an artist's last performance to be his or her best. Where did you get such an idea?

EDIT:

Hamlet was not Shakespeare's last play.
    The Starry Night was not van Gogh's last painting.
    Mona Lisa was not Leonardo da Vinci's last painting.

The list just goes on and on.

8. Alichan76

Apr 15, 2009
    It's a saying used among musicians. It's a way to remind themselves not to get too big headed with their success', and to make sure that they always strive to give their best. Just thought it was an apt thing to say considering Sega and its, what seems, current blasé approach to the app store.

by the way, give Nietzsche's The Case of Wagner a go, if you haven't already. One of his last, and a real hoot:).

9. starjimstar

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    I could also compile a list of artists who only succeeded due to unbridled bigheadedness. :)

I have not. Thanks for the recommendation. I will give it a whirl. http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/25012

10. Alichan76

Apr 15, 2009
    So true, so true...
    No probs. It has been ages since I read it. Its not too long, and just picking it off my shelf just now, I am reminded that it is best read in conjunction with The Birth of Tragedy, his first work. I'm quite inspired to have another blast at that again now myself:)

But this is straying somewhat from Sega, no?...in the philosophic words of Alichan, 'Sega just need to get their arse's in gear'....;)

11. Alas24

Alas24 Member

Mar 9, 2009
    totally agree

12. starjimstar

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    I will be happy if Sega does optimize their emulator. In the meantime, I got a Wiz and my old favorites play much better with real buttons anyway.

13. Alichan76

Apr 15, 2009
    That looks like a nifty piece of kit. How does it compare with say, a PSP for gaming quality? I know Sony brought out a compilation of SEGA oldies for the PSP. How does the Wiz compare? I have to agree with you there on those buttons.

(hehe, between you and me, we are really derailing this thread;))

14. starjimstar

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    No one will notice so long as we say the word Sega every now and then.

All 'n' all I am quite pleased with my Wiz. Most of what I would consider shortcomings do not concern the hardware and will surely be addressed in firmware upgrades. By virtue of being linux based, the GUI is rather ugly (in my opinion.) But the flip-side is that, by virtue of being linux based, there is an eager community of nerds, delighted to skin it for free. It only hit the market in May (if I am not mistaken) so I will give it the benefit of the doubt for now.

The Genesis emulator works great. I bought Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection around the same time so I would have a collection of roms to go with the new device. It includes Sonic, Golden Axe and Streets of Rage (among others.) By comparison, they are much more pleasant experiences than their iPhone counterparts. But, as I have hinted at earlier, even if Sega makes their iPhone emulator the best it can be (for me) it will still not be able to compete with real buttons.

P.S. Sega ;)

15. Alichan76

Apr 15, 2009
    That is all very good to know, thanks for the tips:)

Ps - Sega

16. BOWB4ZOD

Dec 4, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Your are correct sir. In trying to steer this forum back on to topic, I myself have steered it off topic. Should you not have said. "I will not repeat myself"?

Back to the topic at hand. If Sega would just release a good emulator then there would be no problem. They have shown they can do this with their ports to PSP and other systems. But it seems with the iPhone they just have gotten lazy and greedy.