Let's boycott Sega

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by BOWB4ZOD, Jul 17, 2009.

?

No more sega games

1. To hell with sega

54.6%
  2. I will still buy them

12.1%
  3. I don't care

31.2%
  4. What's a sega?

2.1%
  1. FilthyCanadian

FilthyCanadian Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Ontario Canada
    Tell me something, when was the beginning?

2. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Can't really say I'm boycotting them, just don't buy their games because they don't seem worth the asking price.

I sure as hell am not boycotting them on consoles, they've developed/published some really good games lately.

3. ipressbuttons

ipressbuttons Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    You really are an idiot... so for every bad game made for the ps3/xbox/pc/psp/ds/mobile/ps2/wii we should boycot the dev? hmmm quick! so many devs to boycot so little time!

If you dont like it... dont buy it.

4. Alichan76

Alichan76 Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    I guess I am inadvertantly boycotting them, in that after buying Sonic, I realised that they weren't very good ports, so I don't buy them anymore...

5. Aurora

Aurora Well-Known Member

I Lol-ed in RL when I read this. No offense but Mario is the worst excuse for a video game entity I have ever seen, I'd rather play Sonic and I hate that. At least Sonic doesn't say extremely cheesy and cliched lines in a voice that sounds like he's being strangled to death.
    On-topic, I never noticed Sega titles in the Appstore that much except the Sonic game, which didn't grab my interest as I'm not exactly fond of that series. I don't think a company deserves to be "boycotted" just because they are not rolling out quality games for one console, and especially since iPhone isn't wholly a gaming device anyways.

6. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    I will still buy Sega games, Sonic runs great on the 3gs, I just haven't been interested in the other titles...

7. JoshC.

JoshC. Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2009
    Yall think this little effort from TA to boycott Sega is gonna make them clean up their act. Get real.

8. BOWB4ZOD

BOWB4ZOD Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Director, Producer, Editor
    Ontario, Canada
    thank you for keeping this discussion mature.

if you had read what I wrote you would maybe understand.

I said

"Let's not buy their games on the iPhone untill they clean up their act. "

i did not say anything about any other system. They seem to be releasing crap game ports on the iPhone and it really sucks. The other systems are getting very good ports.

Thanks for your input.

9. BOWB4ZOD

BOWB4ZOD Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Director, Producer, Editor
    Ontario, Canada
    no but it's less money in their pocket. so that's all i can do.

10. Tarcin

Tarcin Well-Known Member

May 10, 2009
    I barely buy games from big companies except gameloft. It seems the small devs put more care and listen to the people more because they are just one person (or a small team) where SEGA, EA, ect. all have tons of money and tons of people so they don't really give a crap on how well iphone sales go. They have the skills to make some great ports that the small devs can't, but they don't care as much as the dev. To them its everyday work. For a new dev its really exciting :D

11. STP_Tim

STP_Tim Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2009
    with Columns they basically did... and they screwed up :mad:

Anyway, I really don't care. If SEGA wants to shoot themselves in the leg like this, let them.

12. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Boycott Sega?

No.

Can't do that.

I like Sega games. I've always liked Sega games. And I'll continue to buy Sega games so long as they are good.

But these emulated classics are not, in any way, good. At all.

Some posters are going on about 3Gs. Great. Sonic runs great on 3Gs. Nice for you. What about the 40 million + who don't own a 3Gs? And can you not see the absurdity of an emulator for decades old hardware not running great on the original iTouch/Phone platform devices (iPhone, iPhone 3G, 1st and 2nd "gen" iTouch)? The ARM 11 CPU in the originals is more than enough to run emulated Genesis/MegaDrive games even with the background operations running at all times. But the emulator isn't optimized. That shows either a lack of care or lack of work on Sega's part, or both.

I'm not gonna boycott Sega due to these badly emulated classics. I just won't buy these classics on this platform. Simple as that. Hopefully Sega optimizes the emulator, maybe packages them altogether with ROMs as DLC (downloadable content). I'd rather the former right now. When the optimize it, and the games run as they should, then I'll buy. Until then, no dice.

And I'd rather they give us BOTH the classics AND NEW made-for-iTouch/Phone offerings as well, but anytime I bring that up the nostalgia brigade and the "only want new stuff" contingent cry and whine about the position of wanting BOTH...as if there's something wrong with wanting more. And I still haven't gotten an intelligent reason as to why wanting BOTH old - albeit optimized for the platform, and new offerings is a bad thing. I likely never will. Those blinded by their own nostalgia, or their anti-nostalgia, or their illogical "let's hate on Sega for the sake of hating on them" thinking (as some fall into that latter group).

13. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    There is no comparison. That is why your position seems so juvenile.

This must be your cherrycott.

14. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    You can boycott anything for any reason you want, ethics aside.

boy·cott (boi'kŏt')
    tr.v. boy·cott·ed, boy·cott·ing, boy·cotts
    To abstain from or act together in abstaining from using, buying, or dealing with as an expression of protest or disfavor or as a means of coercion.

I'm pretty sure that's what the OP meant by "boycott".

I think everyone is reading a little too deeply into this thread. All he's saying is Sega is releasing crappy emulated ports onto the app store and charging more than what they should be worth. And a legendary and (previously) cutting-edge company like Sega should be doing greater things than just crappy ports. So, if you feel the same way and don't approve of these apps they're releasing then don't buy them (aka boycott them). That's all, there's no great ethical storyline to go along with it or anything.

If you don't like these bad ports (I don't) then don't buy them (I'm not). I had a similar sentiment in the Streets of Rage thread. Maybe not buying these games will make a difference, maybe not. I just know Sega could, nay SHOULD be doing so much more.

15. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    Of course you can boycott anything you want. For the record, I never implied otherwise. And I don't believe you understood Phi6's comment. He or she merely suggests that there is nothing noble or mature about this protest.

The OP didn't say "boycott."

16. Coral

Coral Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    I think this could be the wrong approach to the problem. Sega isnt putting out an effort because they aren't making money when they do a good job. Maybe we should all pump money into Sega via the iPhone in order to prove to Sega that it is a worthy platform. Then perhaps they will do a better job on their games.
    For the record: I havn't bought a single Sega game for iPhone.

17. yournothere

yournothere Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2009
    why does it really matter to you if they make bad games. DONT BUY THEIR GAMES. And maybe people like these crappy games there porting? who knows.

18. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    But, here's the thing:

Sega hasn't put much effort at all into any of their games on this platform.

The only one of their games that is a wholly original, made-for-iTouch/Phone is Super Monkey Ball, which, although an already existent IP, was on iTouch/Phone a new, made-for-iTouch/Phone game. And it sold pretty dang well for Sega. ~Half a million "units" sold, and that was last year...at the original $9.99 price point. Since then it's gone down in price, and has never, to my knowledge, fallen off the "top 100 paid games" charts on the App Store.

But, alas, other than that one game, Sega hasn't put much effort at all into the iTouch/Phone platform. And, in fact, that wasn't really Sega's effort: they hired an outside developer to make that game. So, really...Sega hasn't shown much effort at all.

And this isn't about old vs. new either. Sega just hasn't shown much effort all around, and this after trumpeting this platform when it first launched, and when sales figures came in for Monkey Ball.

The fact is that Sega simply isn't even trying, and that, for this Sega fan, is frustrating. They, more than ANY of the other big devs on this platform, are the 800 lb. gorilla in the room. More than EA, more than Gameloft, Sega has what it takes to be THE premier and best selling dev/publisher on this platform. Better knowledge of the hardware (PowerVR GPUs were used in past Sega hardware, like their NAOMI arcade boards and their last home console, Dreamcast). Extensive original IPs in a variety of genres, from platforming (Sonic) to RPG (Phantasy Star, Shining Force) to racers (Crazy Taxi, Sega Rally) to action games (Shinobi, Golden Axe, etc.). And from those original IPs, an extensive backcatalog of older games from which to port or emulate.

They're doing the latter, but in a lazy way. And they can also make new games based off of those IPs as well. And they've proven capable of developing new ideas too, moreso than most companies.

Again, ~500,000 copies of Monkey Ball bought at the original $10 price point. Since then it's probably gone on to have sold enough at the lower price points ($8 and the current $6) to have made it a million seller. And Sonic, the emulated classic running, unfortunately, on an emulator that hasn't been optimized, has sold quite well at the price it's at now and made them bank, especially considering they poured very little money into it (the game was made about 2 decades ago, and it's just a ROM running on an emulator).

So Sega's made enough money to know that there's money in them thar hills. They just don't want to spend much money to make money.

They could learn a thing or two from id or even EA.

19. CaseyLay

CaseyLay Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    I tired Columns, and it crashed a lot. I got rid of it.
    Namco is kind of the same way, only their ports are good.
    What I'm trying to say is that Sega and Namco share a similarity when it comes to iPhone gaming.
    Each made one fully 3D game that focuses on ball rolling and is over $7 (also a totally awesome game). And the rest of the stuff each of them make are old school ports for about $5. But Namco is still better, since they make remastered versions to their ports. I'd be overjoyed if they made a 3D sidescroller Sonic like on the PSP, and maybe even add a Chou garden. But no! It has to be the old Genisis Sonic.

I'm not really into NES or Genesis games. I grew up with an N64. I'd rather have a game that's an N64 game port or just a game that resembles the way N64 games were (Like Cops n' Robbers for example).

20. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Bah! Details! Boycott/boycot, I knew what he meant :p

And I don't think I misunderstood those comments. It appears Phi6 was stating that you only boycott companies that cause extreme civil injustice, i.e. a huge corporation poisoning a third world country. I'm saying you can boycott for anything based on the definition, it doesn't have to be over something that's a big deal. I'm boycotting my local liquor store cause they carry Coke instead of Pepsi. And explain why choosing not to buy Sega's crappy ports on the app store is neither "noble or mature"?
    Again, I think that's what the OP was trying to say by creating this thread. "If you don't like these games, then don't buy them and let's band together about it". That's what I gathered, although I'm not the OP so I could be wrong as well. It seemed like everybody was taking it out of context, and blowing it out of proportion. I was just trying to clarify, but maybe I've got it wrong too. Not trying to cause an argument or anything :)

If the OP means "let's take a stand and not give Sega our money for these ports", then I'm all for that. If he means "down with Sega, they've released crappy ports onto the app store and violated my rights and now must burn in Hell!!!", well I don't agree with it in that way.