Let Them Come - bringing back the brutality of the 90s!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by KlemenL, Oct 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KlemenL

KlemenL Member

#1 KlemenL, Oct 12, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2015

Let Them Come is a machine gun sequence turned into a game. You are the last remaining survivor of a mission gone sour, but you're not going out without putting up a good fight! Battle it out against an unrelenting horde of creatures and uncover what drives them along the way.

[​IMG]

MAIN FEATURES
    - Item customisation - Upgrade and customize your arsenal as you find new items
    - Dynamic lighting - Use firepower as a lightsource
    - Boombox - Collect mixtapes and rock to the music of your choice
    - Boss battles - Bring down the level boss to advance
    - Leaderboards - Fight your way to the top, see how you fare against your friends

Game website:
    http://let-them.com/

Latest news:
    https://twitter.com/Klemen_Lozar

Coming in early 2016.

All comments, questions, suggestions welcome!
    -Klemen

2. Back2funk

Back2funk Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2010
    England
    Oh hell yes!!!!

It's going to be a long wait though.

3. cbecks_noble

cbecks_noble Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2015
    pixel pusher @ cwade games
    Coquitlam BC
    This looks amazing. Can't wait for this to come out.

4. KlemenL

KlemenL Member

Thanks guys, hopefully shouldn't be too long into 2016 :)

One of the many enemies you'll come across, The Host. This parasite can snatch any body it finds and use it as a vessel.

[​IMG]

5. Vellrath

Vellrath Active Member

Dec 30, 2012
    I like the attitude, I'll be looking forward to this one. Very fluid animation, it's hard to tell, but it looks like the characters could be 2D rendered, low count polygon models like those from the old Black Isle Studio Days! :) Looking real good.

6. Heboi456

Heboi456 Member

May 4, 2012
  7. Modjular

Modjular Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2014
    wow, i like how you've managed to give such an atmosphere to the simple shooter concept. The lighting from the bullets and it's reflection off the enemies and background is spectacular. You probably just haven't added voices yet, but I kinda like how the guy doesn't say anything in the trailer, just gives a knowing look. Does the guy have a name?

8. KlemenL

KlemenL Member

@Vellrath Thanks! Good eye, that's definitely part of the process. I make very primitive models for creatures which I then render out unfiltered at a low res. This helps speed up the animation process and also helps a lot with the normal pass I need for lighting. After that there's a lot of re-shaping/polish and coloring that needs to be done by hand as you can imagine I'm sure.

@Modjular Thanks man! Yeah, that's the aim with the game really, I choose a simple concept (my first solo game) but I'm working hard to make it fun, relatively deep and immersive. I'm undecided on the guy's name and I'm currently testing some voice acting. I might make him shout out a taunt or an excited "hell yeah!" when you pull off a nice combo.

To give you a better idea about what to expect with music & story:
    [​IMG]

- Like items, you'll collect new mixtapes as you play the game. Each will contain a couple of new tracks that get added to your collection. You'll then be able to create custom playlist and kill stuff to the soundtrack of your choice. I'm collaborating with talented artists to make sure this is great!

- You'll also collect audio logs which will give you bits of backstory about where you are and what's happening.

9. dontonka

dontonka Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2014
    Indie Game Developer (www.naturalbornsoldier.com)
    Montreal, Canada
    Looks fun man, keep going :)!

Cheers,
    Eric

10. m_tango

m_tango Member

Oct 13, 2015
    Game looks great. I like the idea of mix-tape collecting! What type music are you thinking? 90's action-film-rock?

11. iphoneglance

iphoneglance Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Editor at MacExpertGuide.com
    London
    Looks absolutely brilliant.

12. FLSGames

FLSGames Member

Apr 14, 2015
    pixel art looks awesome

13. noteatino

noteatino Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2014
    Can't wait to try it!!!!

14. Fastbridge

Fastbridge Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Service advisor for Honda
    NYC, New York. USA
    Oh yeah. This looks amazing. Can't wait for this bad boy

15. sobriquet

sobriquet Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015
    Man this game looks awesome. I was a big fan of these types of movies. I'll be watching for the release date on this.

16. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Oh, hell yeah!!!! I'm on this! But jeez! Such a long time to wait! Want it NOW!!!!!:p

17. KlemenL

KlemenL Member

#17 KlemenL, Oct 14, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
    Thanks for all the love people!

@m_tango For music, I encourage collaborators to explore their own ideas, as long as it's inspired by the game. I'm hoping to end up with a nice range of tracks so there's something for everyone in there, but all relevant to the experience. You can hear one of the music tracks in the trailer, I also have some sick John Carpenter style ones, some more orchestral pieces in the making and more. Also thinking about drum&bass and rap, any genre really as long as it connects!

I can try to make the wait easier by sharing more of the process as I go if that's desired.

I'm trying to limit the UI information I display on the screen, so below is the only indication of your health to go by. He also animates and responds to combat.

[​IMG]

18. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    This looks good, but please, there is nothing sandbox-type in this one like mentioned in the description in the first page. It is misleading, and in turn becomes disappointing that there isnt anything that's sandbox in this one.

19. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Looks decidedly epic! Cheers

20. KlemenL

KlemenL Member

@Exact-Psience There's definitely a sandbox element to the way you choose to battle the enemies with all the different items at your disposal, I will showcase this in more detail in a future trailer. However, I can see your point as well so I've edited the description of that feature on the front page. I'm definitely not trying to mislead anyone and ultimately, I don't think saying "sandbox gameplay" added anything to my presentation. I think it's pretty clear what type of experience I'm going for. Thanks for bringing this up.

I want to talk more about the creatures you'll fight and their gameplay mechanics. I'm tentatively calling this guy The Burster. It's core glows yellow at a distance, if you shoot it down in this state it will burst giving a speed & health buff to all the creatures in it's vicinity. When it comes near though, it changes green like seen below and turns into a walking bomb. Shoot it in this state and it will explode, dealing damage to anything around it. Don't let it get too close!

[​IMG]