Universal Leo's Fortune (By 1337 & Senri LLC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Apr 23, 2014.

1. mzinn

mzinn Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2014
    I've never played a game so slowly. I dont want it to end. More levels please :)

2. I don't get the hype. Everyone applauds asthetics over gameplay. I could live without. Before I get jumped on, this is my opinion. I really don't feel like debating the game or supporting developers etc. just saying I don't understand the big deal.

3. mzinn

mzinn Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Not every game is for everyone. There are some RPG games i just dont get but to each his own. This game is graphically georgous & gameplay is a blast. Beyond that its just a game. So i enjoyed it for what it is. A beautiful puzzle platformer.

4. bilboa

bilboa Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Boston, MA, USA
    Are you saying this based on having actually played the game? I think this game has great aesthetics and gameplay, but of course the gameplay will only seem great if you enjoy physics based puzzle platformers. I don't think anyone would jump on you for saying you don't enjoy the gameplay, but saying it has no good gameplay and that others who like it must only like it for the aesthetics is more likely to draw some flak.

5. I wasn't saying that people only like the aesthetics. I meant that it seems to take precedence in reviews. Not a fan of the controls and it's kind of a bore. Nothing exciting or unexpected. It's just a safe predictable game. I don't know?? I was expecting something more. I guess I'm just an old curmudgeon gamer. Lol.

6. bilboa

bilboa Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Boston, MA, USA
    Well to be fair, the review did say that the game wasn't especially innovative, but that it was very well executed. I do agree in not loving the touch controls, though that's true for pretty much every iOS platformer I've played. The reviewer stated that he liked playing it with a controller better, and I suspect I would too.

7. zazzer

zazzer Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Global Community Manager, Arena of Valor
    Palo Alto, CA
    Has anyone made any progress in Hardcore mode?

8. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

@yohan1234 - Could you add a control scheme that combines the left/right buttons with swiping to jump/inflate/dive?

9. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

So...Leo's Fortune? The best physics platformer I've played since NightSky, maybe even Limbo?

Yeah, I'd say so.

At its most basic level, Leo's Fortune is nothing we haven't see before. Platformers have had jumps and double jumps and hovering and ground slams, spikes and saws and deadly moving obstacles before

But what makes Leo's Fortune so so good isn't that it reinvents the wheel. It simply shines the wheel to a glistening sheen.

From the lush art style to the incredibly well designed levels, constantly introducing interesting new obstacles and puzzles, to Leo himself, a ball of personality thanks to the wonderful soft-body physics and his stately tone and comments, Leo's Fortune is just one extremely polished experience

Both the swipe and touch controls are excellent, finely tuned. If I died, it was never because of unresponsive controls. And they need to be, because Leo's Fortune requires timing and precision. While this isn't as difficult as a game like Super Meat Boy or League of Evil, it's not an easy game, combining precision platforming with physics-based puzzles and obstacles. Each level feels unique as you journey from the fiery mines to the dusty wastes, all of these areas filled with machines and gears and dangerous traps. Reaching the end is not easy; achieving three stars (no deaths, collect all coins, beat the par time) is definitely a challenge.

With its responsive controls, nicely animated and charming protagonist, fantastic level design, and simply gorgeous art style, Leo's Fortune is easily one of the best platformers to grace IOS in a long time. While it may not really bring anything new to the table, the sheer polish present in all aspects of the game - art, gameplay, levels - makes Leo's Fortune well worth your time

10. You mean Game of the Year.

11. zazzer

zazzer Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Global Community Manager, Arena of Valor
    Palo Alto, CA
    Wow, and it's only May!

12. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Yep early days yet BUT it'll be in my top 5 games of the year i'm certain.

I love platformers and have MANY of them (about 5 folders !) but this one just oozes appeal, looks great, plays well, just an amazing game. Every now and then i'll download an app and think 'what amazing value for money, iOS is an amazing platform' and Leo's Fortune did that for me, blown away how good it is and what a cheap price.

So looking forward to seeing what the dev does in the future

13. Leo's Fortune is that good, of course around xmas there usually are some big names, but so far this year, this is it. Also, I liked Unpossible for Twitch, and this week's Biosis is a totally awesome puzzler far better than Contre Jour.

14. yohan1234

yohan1234 Member

Apr 24, 2014
    Programmer
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    That's a great idea! I'll discuss it with the team. Being able to invert left-right with jump/inflate/dive is also on the table.

15. Hejden

Hejden Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    So, since no one in the entire world has been able to beat Hardcore mode yet, we decided to do this:

[​IMG]

So basically, if you manage to beat hardcore you will end up in the game's credits under "Hardcore Players Club". If you're a US citizen, you also have a chance of winning an iPad mini (16GB, Wi-Fi model), or a $100 iTunes gift card.

Check out the contest rules here http://www.leosfortune.com/contest-rules/

16. Tres333

Tres333 Member

Mar 17, 2013
    Question, how much space does this app take up when fully installed?

17. Hejden

Hejden Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    The initial download is roughly 100Mb, and then there's an additional 180Mb that is downloaded in the background while you're playing. So in total it's about 280Mb.

18. moominzo

moominzo Member

Nov 7, 2013
    My game is stuck on downloading content.. On act 2 level 7 and I can't go any further... On wi-fi at home so I don't see why there's a problem? iPhone 5

19. It will definitely be a GOTY contender especially in the platformer category.

20. Crabman

Crabman Well-Known Member

May 24, 2013
    Berlin
    Congrats for apples design award.Well deserved.Hope this game gets (even)more attention now.