Universal Leo's Fortune (By 1337 & Senri LLC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Apr 23, 2014.

1. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Just for the record, I really hate the fact that I'm replying before the developer...and if that bugs you, Hejden, tell me and I'll shut up.

Pm23, yeah...there's an initial download that will start as long as you haven't completed it, no matter how many times you kill the app and retry. BUT...once the download is complete, it won't try to download ANYTHING again.

2. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Dude, did you get and dismiss the confirmation pop-up that tells you the extra content has been downloaded?

3. Pm23

Pm23 Member

Mar 3, 2013
    #83 Pm23, Apr 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2014
    By "completed" I assume you meant the download and not the game? Yeah, the download was completed the first time I played it -- but when I re-opened it I had to download the extra content again.

What is the rationale behind this? It's idiotic. And reading this thread I'm not the only person confused or perplexed about this. There is no sane rationale behind doing this in the first place. As it is, a game I briefly enjoyed is now in my list of Things Not To Do When Making An iOS Game.

I want to support quality iOS games. I'd have happily paid $10 for Leo's Fortune -- but not in its current state.

Why is it I can enjoy games like Year Walk, Little Inferno, Device 6, Monument Valley and Hitman Go and pay up front and indulge in their charms, but Leo's Fortune is unplayable in the practical sense?

Deleted the stupid swearing - mod

4. Hejden

Hejden Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    The first time you start the game, the data will start downloading. When the download is done, you'll get a pop-up window saying that the download is done and after that it will verify the content. When that is done, you won't need internet to play the game.

We have a fast wi-fi at work, where the download takes roughly ten seconds. If you don't have a fast internet or if you're using 3G it may take a few minutes instead. If you're using wi-fi, the download will continue in the background even if the game is not open. If you're using 3G, you will have to have the application open in order for the download to continue.

The reason we went with this solution is simply because if the application would have been over 100MB on the App Store, the number of downloads would be cut in half. Over the last year the market for premium games has decreased with almost 50%, where more and more people turn to free games instead. It's difficult enough to turn a profit as it is, and if we had not implemented this solution it would probably be the last game we make.

5. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Well, you seem to be the only person who has this issue.

I was initially one of those "confused or perplexed" people, but uhhh...it's right there for you to read and you mentioned it earlier; whether or not you or even myself feel differently about the issue, the dev wants to stay under the 100 MB limit. There's a chance this will change later on, but for now this is what the developer wants. Either deal with it, or just delete the game, get your refund (if you haven't already) and move on.

Oh, and please avoid insulting people on our forums. Especially the developers. That'll land you in some deep shit. You're lucky psj edited your message otherwise you'd be looking at a nice time-out. :)

6. Crabman

Crabman Well-Known Member

May 24, 2013
    Berlin
    Maybe he didn't get a free seat on his last subway ride.

7. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Woah this looks fantastic. I did limit myself some more by buying only one game per week though, and this week is just Wayward Souls week for me.

But this, this looks great, and i cant wait to see what else is in next week coz this is already considered :)

8. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    #88 psj3809, Apr 25, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
    Somehow missed this game/thread.

Saw this the other day for the NZ releases but somehow forgot about this as i've been away. Just bought !

Watched the video, graphics look amazing, cant wait to try this

Edit - Amazing ! Top marks to the dev for allowing two control schemes. The levels seem huge, only played the first one and that was going on forever. Love the way parts of the game appear in front of your character as you've moving around

Graphics are stunning, i'm not normally too fussed by graphics (like basic retro graphics, its all down to the gameplay for me) but this has stunning graphics, the gameplays perfect. Its a brilliant puzzle platformer and its early days for me as theres loads of content to it

This is one game we should support 100%, good price for this game, no freemium 'buy lots of costumes' type rubbish. Exceptional

9. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    #89 JCho133, Apr 25, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
    Arg, I want this very badly, but lack the cash at the moment. Definitely going on my wishlist.

I'm glad this got editors choice in the US because I think it would have been overlooked had Wayward gotten the editors choice.

It's starting to chart really well here, just shot up from 80 to 33 in just about 4 hours or so.

Congrats to the Devs :D

Hurrah for $5 apps!

10. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I didnt buy anything last week but this week has been great personally for me with some brilliant games out

I'm a HUGE fan of platformers and this is one of the best i've played on iOS, i want to take my time with this and really enjoy it instead of speeding through etc.

So far so good, well worth picking up. Please Devs, dont ever drop the price on this, people need to buy this at the price it is. Its exceptional

11. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    This is quite simply outstanding in every respect.

12. uFinKnow

uFinKnow Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2014
    I picked this up. What a great purchase. Cheers Dev! They have a Game of the Year contender here.

13. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I dont always leave tons of reviews on the app store (i know i should) but this is one game where if you like it please leave a review on the app store as that'll help the dev (and we may get a sequel in the future perhaps !).

Either way its a great game, please rate it if you love it as it'll help. What a week for apps !

14. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Totally passed this up based off the still shots... Then I entertained watching the video after seeing all the nominations on the game of the week thread along with Wayward Souls and I have to say, I am both impressed and downloading as I type this!

15. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    So glad y'all are finally starting to notice this masterpiece. :)

16. Crabman

Crabman Well-Known Member

May 24, 2013
    Berlin
    Number 1 in the german app store (15 in grossing).

I'm half thru the game now,still a brilliant experience.I know i want more level when i finished it:)

And of course i already left a 5 star review in the store (the game forced me to do this after the first level).My favorite platformer on iOS now (well,it depends:is Badland a platformer?)

17. Leegames

Leegames Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Ex. game journalist and EiC now PR
    Denmark
    Heh I was planning on reviewing Hitman GO but this one ate all my time. Leo's Fortune is lovely. I gave it an 8/10 and that might even be a little low, Danish review here for anyone who cares

http://www.gamereactor.dk/anmeldelser/208424/Leo%27s+Fortune/

Glad to see it getting a (tiny) bit of attention, well deserved. :)

18. sixteenbits

sixteenbits New Member

Apr 25, 2014
    Hopefully with more games like this, we'll see more and more premium apps in the limelight on iOS.

Leo's Fortune is stunning in every respect. Well done! I loved Devil's Attorney as well.

The team for Leo was 4 people, yeah? If you don't mind, how long was the development time? Did you enjoy partnering with Tilting Point?

19. stoodoo

stoodoo New Member

Apr 26, 2014
    Expert
    Australia
    What an amazing game. Kinda reminds me a bit of "fury of the furries" from my old commodore Amiga days. We'll done to the developers, the game is so immersive with it's beautifully created levels. Only thing I know I won't like about it is when I finish it. I know I'll want more. A big five stars from me lads, hopefully this game will grow further, or at least get a sequel.

Cheers :)

20. TheAppInsider

TheAppInsider Member

Apr 22, 2014
    England
    I'm really glad I started playing this game, absolutely loving it so far! Congrats on making such a great game :)