Universal LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga (by Warner Bros.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Zemar

Zemar Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Denmark
    Can't believe that they didn't test the game on a iPhone 5s.
    Totally low res graphics.

2. SrMomo

SrMomo Active Member

Apr 11, 2013
    This game looks awful compared with Lego:LOTR. I was expecting something like that. Also the controls feel a little unresponsive. At least it was free. Not buying the episodes for now.

3. Jake7905

Jake7905 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2013
    I have to agree; playing on an iPhone 5, I'm not impressed at all with the way this looks or feels. Though it's nice having a real Star Wars game in the App Store, and the free content is generous, I was expecting a little more from this release.

Having said that, I'll probably end up buying episodes 4-6. It's Star Wars after all.

4. Candykiller

Candykiller Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    It does sound like the game is running at a poorer quality on iPhones, even the latest models. I'm not sure which device Sanuku used to record the video but the game looks a lot better on the iPad (3). You can tell by the jaggies that the game is running at a lower resolution than the version I'm playing here on the iPad.

5. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Maybe it's a combined version of Wii/DS, using textures of the DS for iPhone and 720p for iPad. That's the only logical explanation I can find. In any case, I play on an iPhone 4S and I'm not bothered about low-res textures. I find the game very enjoyable and it doesn't lag. I'll play ep1 until the end before buying the full game though.

6. Zoet

Zoet Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Newcastle, Australia
    I'm enjoying it very much so far, and I have been wanting the original Lego Star Wars on iOS for a very long time. Lego Star Wars has never looked the best out of all of the Lego titles on the consoles, but it is serviceable enough on my iPad 3. I'm so gad that this is the complete console/pc version of ther game and not one of the neutered DS versions that we have been getting!

7. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    Yeah, a huge game developer such as Warner Bros completely forgot to test the game on the 5s.. Seems completely logical.

On a side note: its the same game I remember playing years ago so I'll be buying the full version in the future. I'm not bothered by the graphics; They look fine to me. I'm happy its not a super graphic intensive game, saves me some battery life.

8. Morgan01

Morgan01 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2013
    USA
    Short of buying any of the IAP bundles packs, there really doesn't seem to be a whole lot to do once you download SW Lego. Having never played it, the 3 minutes of things to do in the "free" version doesn't really give a sense of the game play.

9. Candykiller

Candykiller Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    You get the whole of Episode One in the free version. Did you go through the doorway with the green light? The door that doesn't have a character standing in front of it.

10. Dr. Woodenstein

Dr. Woodenstein Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2013
    You must not have found Episode I the Phantom Menace. It definitely takes more than 3 minutes and shows you exactly what the gameplay is like.

11. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    This is so awesome. Downloaded it on my iPad 4 and iPhone 5c, and instabought the $15 bunduru. I was thinking about getting this game on my PS3 again for a while now (had it at one point but never got that far into it), but now I have a portable version that is as good as the console one for a lot less money.

I tried the touch controls first, and I thought they were pretty good UNTIL I switched to the Classic controls, which, for me at least, make the game much more fun to play, especially on the iPhone, where it can be hard to tap exactly where you need to at times.

But this is a must have if you are a Lego and/or Star Wars fan and have never played this one before, and even if you have played it, you should still probably get this so you can have the legit version of this game on the go.

The only thing I wish this game had was an option for arcade and story mode where if you run out of hearts its game over, but I guess the Lego games have never been hardcore like that, so it's forgivable to not have that option, I suppose.

12. Fafner

Fafner Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2009
    This game is flawless in my ipad Air!
    Looks and plays EXACTLY like the version I had for Xbox360!

And yes it is the actual console version not the DS one

13. killy billy

killy billy Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2009
    planet iphone/ipad
    Does it have GC achievements?
    All other ios lego games had achievements but i can't find them here.

14. JetLinerSaw

JetLinerSaw Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2013
    Now this might have already been answered but, is the episode select area the dexters restaraunt like the original Lego Star Wars or is it the cantina? This matters. Lol.

15. Morgan01

Morgan01 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2013
    USA
    Found it, thanks. Looks pretty interesting. I'll probly be purchasing it from what I've seen.

16. GregB

GregB Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    The game looks great on my iPad 3. I just finished the pod race mission. Man, that was difficult! Took me like 15 tries and I'm not looking forward to trying to help my kids do it.

Tips for the Wii version say to push up on the nunchuck and turn off adaptive difficulty in the Cantina. Does anyone know if these two options are replicated in the iOS version?

17. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Cantina. Did you watch Sanuku's video? It's on the main page. This is a port of The Complete Saga from the PS3/360/Wii/PC.

As for the game itself, I went ahead and downloaded it as a way to just play the first part of the game and see if it would be worth buying the console version for the family. So in a way this is a nice way to preview the game. I skipped trying touch controls and went with the classic controls from the beginning. The game plays PERFECTLY on my 4S. Graphics are sharp as can be. This version makes the videos I've seen of the Wii version look horrid. Heck Sanuku's video looks kind of bad in comparison but I think it's probably the compression of the video itself. Classic Controls are spot on. If you aren't familiar with them then use the little popups that show in the top left corner to learn all the moves.

I don't buy anything through IAP, but this is by far one of the better implementations of the pay as you go (shareware) scheme. Buy what you want, skip what you dont, or just buy everything without any IAP for stupid consumables. So I applaud that. Still, it's a nice way to preview the game before considering the console version which is where I think my kids will probably want to play this... on the big screen... with multi player.

18. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Just for the record, this game is a premium game disguised as a "freemium" or "pay for what you want" one.

And I don't know your reasons for the "no IAP" vow, but you are missing out on some good content overall, as not all IAP is the "evil muahahaha" variety.

19. GregB

GregB Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    I find the classic controls very good but platforming in some levels can be tricky - I kept falling off narrow ledges and such. Not game stopping as you don't really die in these games, but not quite as perfect as my (possibly romanticized) memory on controls on my old DS. Never played the Wii version.

As for the pay method, I don't consider it freemium at all. Basically Episode 1 is the free Lite version and the full game costs $14.99 USD, all packaged in one download. The game won't ask you a cent after that and you have a game that can entertain for hours and is the game that, for me, best scratches the Star Wars itch. I get in moods for certain Star Wars movies and it's so awesome to be able to pick any movie and play in the movie (once unlocked in Story mode).

Fwiw, it took me about 2 hours of playtime to get through Episode 1. A very generous free tour IMHO.

I don't know what the Challenge missions are. What are they? I tried the first one (Qui Gon Jin) and there was a count down timer and I could play as any of the bounty hunters (yes!!!). But I wasn't clear on my objective.

20. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Even though i'm currently away i managed to download this. LOVE IT !

This isnt freemium, this is more like shareware, if you like the first level then buy the others. If this was 'true' freemium i wouldnt touch it with a bargepole, if i had to buy lives/items and then wait with timers or something, yuck !

But its not like that, its like Pinball Arcade, Walking Dead, eg get the first bit free and if you like it buy more content.

I've only briefly played this game many years ago and i'm loving it that i have it on iOS. Played the first 3 missions for Episode 1, theres a LOT of content here and i'll be unlocking the rest for sure. Very glad this has come to iOS, best Star Wars game for sure on iOS, works well on my iphone 4. A quality game