Universal Legend of Solgard (by King)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by KeKhan, Aug 15, 2018.

1. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    Yeah, 6s, never noticed that, I'll look for it. Thx!

2. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Took me 5-6 tries, but I got past 45. The only level I’d repeated before that was 34, I think. Hitting the mushrooms when fresh units drop on the field is crucial. Making big units can help since they hit two columns.

3. riverstomp

riverstomp Active Member

Apr 14, 2011
    Played it for a few hours. The campaign was nice up to 24. But now I am stuck at 25. There is an sudden rise in difficulty where tactics means nothing and luck (initial placement of your army) is everything. Another problems I have: A lack of providing information about the monsters/obstacles you face. Sorry but I cant/wont memorize all the intricacies of those thingies; you need to provide an info on tap UI element or something similar. Finally: The energy system is way too harsh/greedy.

4. Misguided

Jan 27, 2009
    #24 Misguided, Aug 18, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
    Uh, no. It’s not remotely hard at 25. It does get damned hard later, though (currently at 51). The enemies only have 3hp and you have a couple of turns. Focus on killing them initially (so they don’t replicate)so you don’t get overrun. Then you can work on the barrier. Agree with everything else though.

5. dbagga84

dbagga84 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2013
    No it does get hard at 25 I am stuck there as well

6. dbagga84

dbagga84 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2013
    I’ve used full energy to empty twice trying to get through but only 3 moves then those ghosts multiply and befor you know it the entire screen is full and you’re dead. With the random placement being so jumbled up it takes 5+ turns to even make an enlarged monster but the enemies usually kill em before you get a chance. Unless you’re lucky and they come out just right.

7. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    You guys are probably not approaching 25 the right way. I didn't fail any level more than once or twice prior to 45; totally stuck on 60 but several guild members have gotten a bit further.

Tychaeus likes this.
  8. Misguided

Jan 27, 2009
    #28 Misguided, Aug 18, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
    You are doing it wrong. You want to kill them before they multiply. Don’t try to make the larger monsters (and again, they only have 3 hp, you don’t need heavy hitters). Go for ones that launch same turn (starting red and yellows, for instance). Go on the offensive as quickly as possible. If you create delayed units, make them where new ones are going to spawn (they are marked).

@ArtNJ where you guys at on the raid?

9. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    We did the first boss but it used up most people's day I think; we did get about 500 damage off the second boss's bonus crystal.

I'm not going to recommend the guild yet. The original GM gave away GM supposedly by mistake to a random person (lol). I have no idea if the random person is booting low donators or not. But beyond that, so far so good.

10. Misguided

Jan 27, 2009
    Yeah, I actually joined a different one since I hit level 7 and there was no space. They have almost 900 damage on the second boss.

11. Jerutix

Jerutix Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Male
    Ministry
    Oklahoma
    Sometime tomorrow I'm going to clear inactives off the TouchArcade guild. I'll post before I do in case anyone feels like switching.

12. Tychaeus

Tychaeus Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2015
    Right...exactly my thoughts...and his logic imo is completely backwards...SINCE there is a good deal of strategy involved you actually have a BETTER chance at winning higher levels than maybe intended IF you are a good strategist. This I LOVED about Might and Magic Clash of Heroes...taking on battles I had absolutely no business doing at the time and figuring out how to win =D
    If you are having a hard time early early on (basically anywhere whatsoever in the first area)...not to be rude, but it could be a lack of good tactics, mixed with some bad luck. Personally I did not lose a match until the second area. I was surprised at one shotting the dragon boss even as I’d heard he was “impossible.”

13. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    Update: still enjoying the game, but the game is so incredibly stingy on energy it will frustrate you if you get hooked. I'm at 65, and its quite bad already, but at level 80 its 12 energy per level, and your level 8, with 47 energy +1 every 10 minutes. No energy refill items, and level ups are quite rare = much more stingy than other freemium games.

It seems that you are meant to clear 3-5 levels a day over like 10-20 attempts. Failed attempts refund around half energy back, but once it gets to 12 energy a level, that means your losing 60 minutes per failed attempt.

Its not a lot of playing, and its the total opposite of how most successful freemium games work.

Tychaeus likes this.
  14. Jerutix

Jerutix Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Male
    Ministry
    Oklahoma
    Yeah, they need to rework the balance on energy a bit or maybe have some kind of mode that has unlimited replays for no energy.

15. Misguided

Jan 27, 2009
    #35 Misguided, Aug 19, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
    Just cleared 60. Thanks, Cracklehoof.

PSA: all “random enemies” are not created equal. Elfling button and cracklehoof lightning both say that target a random enemy, but buttons will hit barriers and lightning will not. This steady damage on the giant let me beat 60 on first try with cracklehoof after repeated failures, even though I like elfling better.

@ArtNJ i think you are exactly right. Much like Sdorica, this game, once you get to a certain point, wants you to spend an hour or two a day, mostly doing dailies. And FYI you don’t have to beat new levels to clear the daily quest, you can replay old ones.

Also, level 10 looks like a significant milestone, since it unlocks heroic difficulty, and the ability to target specific sun gems. Interested to see how rewarding/difficult those turn out to be.

I don’t think the energy bit is as bad as it sounds because the levels are challenging enough you are unlikely to rip through several in a row, after a point. Energy return has been 4 out of 6. That’s 75%, not 50, and if it scales with cost, it isn’t bad at all (but I just hit 8 energy at 61 and I am guessing you are still getting 4 back)

Almost forgot... @Tychaeus i loved the same thing about Clash of Heroes. I did take a couple of tries to get past 34, iirc (somewhere in there). But generally, I agree. It gets MUCH more challenging later. There’s a noted difficulty spike at 45. Some of the levels in the 50s. The 2nd boss is much tougher than the first (though I think the structure of 60 felt more doable/fair than the fight at 50 because of the bomb placement. I might have stunned him once when I beat 50. On 60, it was much easier to do that.

16. Revelate

Revelate Member

Aug 19, 2018
    Joining the conversation as one of the random people in @Misguided 's current alliance.

So random thoughts on the game: there's a ton of promise in this game from my perspective - the depth of the design is astounding in how many options you have. I just reached campaign level 98 (I IAP'd some, buying energy is worth more early than it is later, more on that later) and I basically had to use completely different tactics than all the levels leading up to that in 97. Luck does play a part, but it's highly tactical even to the point of using some nearly unleveled units compared to my "main" team.

Try to push exp early: up through at least character level 12ish you keep getting new things to do... for example Arena is a 5 minute energy refresh (and the battles can take a few minutes if you match drags out) so you can spend a lot of time if you wish playing here virtually whenever you want if that's your thing.

This is sort of required because the campaign slows down a lot: the energy goes up to 10 at least north of 70 something, and you still only get 4 energy back for a loss. Also heroic modes which appear to be needed for farming certain sun gems (damn it Valk!) if you aren't heavy IAP are at 8 energy per shot at least through level 95.

This game is going to turn into a grind from a progression perspective as progress comes through a dizzying array of units (team design and subsequent tactics are no joke in this game, might even be brilliant from a game design perspective), and I don't know why they didn't wipe the beta accounts to start everyone fresh but there isn't much overlap other than some players in the novice Arena that clearly were in beta... ain't that big of a deal it will sort out in time and really only a drag if you're in the middle 9-15ish ranks where there just doesn't seem to be many good alliance options.

Anyway TLDR, game so far still looks very interesting and possibly excellent to amazing, the newbie experience is a little awkward and in game tool tips would be helpful as Ratatoui doesn't always really explain tactics... farm and build a variety of units, because there are counters designed for all of them, it's just a matter of figuring out what's what.

Misguided likes this.
  17. Revelate

Revelate Member

Aug 19, 2018
    @Misguided this is the rainbow thing I just found and mentioned in guild chat:

Attached Files:

18. Misguided

Jan 27, 2009
    @Revelate welcome! And thanks for the picture.

My hope is that this will be a game that’s fun to play a little bit each day over the long haul. Progression-wise, it seems to me that a strong guild is going to be vital, even more so than most of these games. The raid rewards go up significantly after the first tier.

I see your picture with one of my own. How’s this for a freebie shop chest?

5327E3CB-6F71-419A-9318-042AB3B5B632.jpeg

Tychaeus likes this.
  19. Revelate

Revelate Member

Aug 19, 2018
    Hah, that's like a perfect starter chest really.

Boar / Tusker are basically clones but there are times you want both and strength buffs all stack in this game (that Hold 0 win that I found for level 97, 98 though yikes more damage control intensive haha), elf is pretty excellent as I think just about everyone knows already, and Grum is basically the only green I use currently as I just don't really like any of my other options there.

I agree a strong alliance long term is where we want to be but not sure any of those really exist yet for the middle-ranks that I stated earlier... almost tempted to just start one as I keep seeing new alliances make the same mistakes (either not enough activity, or too high a donation requirement early, ours suffers from that some 150 gold early is better spent on unit development, at some point 150 gold becomes trivial I'm sure but it's not at level 10 for sure).

Goes without saying if you find a better alliance post here as our current one is kinda meh but appears to be the best of the ones that I randomly hopped in and out of over the past few days.

Misguided likes this.
  20. Misguided

Jan 27, 2009
    I don’t actually have tusker unlocked yet, which is making me nuts. Up to 109\125 now, but I keep getting 1s and 2s.

I was surprised at the very start that gold felt like a limiting factor, but I don’t think 150 gold per day is that big a deal once you have access to bounties, personally. Having said that, if you started a guild, I’d happily jump in with both feet.