Universal Legend of Grimrock (by Almost Human ltd.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, May 6, 2015.

1. kukulcan

kukulcan Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009

2. Pivi

Pivi Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2013
    First of all, I'm so impressed with this game I want to give it 6 stars instead of 5.

Originally I was afraid of the real time battle system, but it's a clear love letter to Eye of the Beholder, and I'm accomodated fast. Awesomeness.

I really hope we'll get Grimrock 2 too.

3. icepulse

icepulse Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2008
    If the good folks from Almost Human are watching these forums, I'd like to ask if there's any hope of a future update incorporating the ability to run community-created levels? What future features can we expect?

4. Almost_Human_Juho

May 8, 2015
    Hello Dailon80, I'm one of the devs of LoG. We're a really small team and we simply lacked the manpower to do the iPhone version. As the small screen version needs a lot of redesign to get it working proprly, we decided to go first with the tablet version as it ports more easily from the PC version. We hope that the iPad would sell enough to enable us to do the phone port. So, please spread the word about the game.

5. kukulcan

Jan 4, 2009
    Hah, that's great! I did my share!

A question I have which nobody wanted to answer. Are the dynamic shadows in for the higher spec devices? I don't complain I don't get them on my iPad 3 but all the iOS version did was to make me restart it on Mac ;)

6. Almost_Human_Juho

May 8, 2015
    We're open to suggestions, but that feature would require massive amount of work to get it working. But if there's a lot of demand for the feature we'd definitely consider it.

We wanted to streamline the UI for the iPad version, so the game has only 1 hand slot visible. Usually the second hand is used to carry shield or torch. We did some automation for the second hand; projectiles are automatically picked up. And if you have thrown all projectiles from the "main hand" it equips the projectiles from the second hand automatically.

7. ipad_dad

ipad_dad Active Member

May 6, 2015
    Great game, any idea how much game time there is?? How many levels??

8. grits

grits Well-Known Member

May 28, 2012
    Played this game on PC a while ago and loved it.

9. macatron

macatron Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Thank you for posting up in these forums! That's one of the things I love most about small development teams. :) as for an iPhone version there are already several people in this thread who have gotten it to run on their iPhone by modifying the .ipa file, and they have posted up positive feedback on how it plays on a smaller screen. Just some food for thought. :)

One of the other questions that everyone wants to know is if there is a way to access the secondary hands of the party members?

Congrats on a successful launch on the App Store! I am definitely doing my part and spreading the word! :D

10. Almost_Human_Juho

May 8, 2015
    Thank you! We really need everyone's help as we don't have any massive marketing budget to push the game everywhere. There actually aren't dynamic shadows in the game. They're pretty demanding on the hardware, so we decided to prioritize good framerates on all platforms.

11. Almost_Human_Juho

May 8, 2015
    The game has 13 levels and estimated playtime is around 15 hours.

Thank you. I already answered about the second hand above. But to sum it up; it's functional, but you can't use it in fights unless you have projectiles in the hand. The hand is accessible only in the inventory.

12. ipad_dad

ipad_dad Active Member

May 6, 2015
    I have a really decent Windows phone, new Lumia 640XL cheap but certainly not cheerful and bought an iPad air. Games will always be better on iPad than any Phone with a smaller screen. It's so much better playing on iPad.I don't understand so much moaning that this is iPad only?

13. Xibalba

Xibalba Member

Jun 21, 2012
    I bought this on the PC and loved it. I bought it for my iPad 3 and am now in dungeon crawler heaven. Not only is it a great game, but it's a much more personal and comfortable experience to be able to play this sprawled out on the couch with the device on my lap. Thank you so much to the developers for finally bringing this to the iPad. I would gladly pay again to have it on my iPhone six so I can truly take it with me anywhere.

14. kukulcan

Jan 4, 2009
    Fully understandable, it is really nice how smoothly everything works - and it will make our own game stand out ;)

My minor wishes:
    - map overlay (or did I miss that?)
    - outline items for mobile gaming. Stuff can be too small/dark to find in daylight situations

#10 in top paid apps here in Germany...not bad!

15. ipad_dad

ipad_dad Active Member

May 6, 2015
    Thanks for the swift reply regarding levels and estimated time.I hope GrimRock 2 makes the transition to iPad

16. macatron

Sep 12, 2009
    I appreciate the quick reply! Thanks! It definitely sounds like a perfect compromise due to GUI restrictions. :D

17. macatron

Sep 12, 2009
    Yeah, I really hope LoG does well too because I'd LOVE to see the sequel come to the iPad!

18. NickyNichols

NickyNichols Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2012
    This has quickly joined FTL, Papers Please, Rex Rocket, Shadowrun, and Democracy 3 as the reasons why I love my iPad.

19. kukulcan

Jan 4, 2009
    And Almost Human quickly joined FTL as the best Dungeon Master game makers ;)

20. CrayonWarrior

CrayonWarrior Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Mar 9, 2014
    Great southern land
    Thank you for reading and replying!