Legalization of Marijuana?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Giggity, Jul 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

Should Marijuana Be Legalized?

1. Yes

198 vote(s)
    59.6%
  2. No

134 vote(s)
    40.4%
  1. justlegos

justlegos Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Student/Cart Pusher
    Iowa
    The sad thing is, My grandfather is on a ton of drugs now, and it all started with pot. Marijuana is considered a "starter" drug and people have the urge for a different one once they build up an immunity to getting high off it. Its sad to see my grandfather in rehab, after going from a 100,000 dollar job to homeless due to them. So I would say no, it should not be legal.

2. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Actually, its considered a "gateway" drug, get it right ;)

I've always found that to be BS though, the only reason people do other drugs is because they want to.

3. Electric_Shaman

Electric_Shaman Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Also it kills brain cells and what you smoke today ain't your grand daddy's pot, it's super evil pot that's like a billion times stronger.

Please, tell me more of your debunked theories.

4. doodlejumper

doodlejumper Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Stuck in traffic
    #744 doodlejumper, Sep 2, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2010
    $100,000 job? And he's homeless now? Something just doesn't add up.

5. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    This one time, a white guy called me a "stupid chink" and he threw his super-size drink at me. So now I hate all white guys and I think they should all be summarily executed.

:\

6. Giggity

Giggity Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Looking For Job
    USA
    Care to take back your attack on me?

And I doubt some random guy through a drink at you and called you a stupid chink without anything happening previous to this.

And sticking to the topic of this threaad....

The vote in California to legalize weed is commin soon. I think in November.

7. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    Maybe you should learn to understand sarcasm and hyperbole :mad:

The point was that doodlejumper made a blanket assumption about something based on a single experience.

8. Giggity

Giggity Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Looking For Job
    USA
    :( The vote to legalize marijuana in California went up in smoke... didn't pass, but theres always the future to vote in... and medical marijuana.
    Anyone on TA forums have a medical card?

9. vbxz47

vbxz47 Well-Known Member

May 28, 2009
    Ohio
    Heard of bath salt, now that is some serious shit that should be illegal immediately.

10. Rubicon

Rubicon Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Lead Programmer, Chief Bottlewasher
    Isle of Wight, UK
    #750 Rubicon, Mar 9, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
    I don't do narcotics of any sort - beer and cigarettes go far enough.

However I think that all narcotics should be legalised. If you can buy a bag of crack in your local pharmacy there would be almost no crime on the streets overnight.

Dopeheads still get stoned, I keep my dvd/car/life.

Works for me.

EDIT: As for the argument that making it illegal stops people doing it, I think it's:
    a) bogus. I don't kill people because I think it's wrong, not because it's illegal.
    and
    b) I don't really care tbh. As long as they leave me to my business, I believe others should be able to do what they want. And to the argument that stoned people are violent and will affect me? Bah, I've not been attacked by a stoner ever, but I've seen plenty of fighting and worse due to perfectly legal alcohol. The only time a stoner will cause you a problem is when he's trying to raise funds due to criminal pricing.

11. Leothwyn

Leothwyn Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    I have my card. I don't smoke often, and when I do it's a very small amount. But, when my doc offered it to me for anxiety and insomnia I was happy to accept.

I think it should be legal, but I voted no on prop 19. One of the main problems that I had with it was the mandatory minimums for supplying to a minor. I'm not for giving kids pot or anything, but give the courts some room to sentence based on the specific case. The idea of someone just at the legal age smoking a joint with a friend one yr. younger doing serious prison time for that is ridiculous.

I'm sure we'll have another chance to vote on the issue. Hopefully it will be written better next time around.

What we're doing now is a complete failure. What does the war on drugs accomplish as far a pot goes?
    - Uses time and resources trying to stop something that is fairly benign (not harmless, but less harmful than alcohol on pretty much every level). Every bit of time and money spent fighting marijuana is time and money not spent on serious crimes.
    - Makes pot a gateway drug. Weed doesn't magically transform a person into some crazy drug fiend willing to do anything to get high, but it does force people to go out on the streets to find it, which introduces them to sources of other drugs. I've had chances to by acid, speed etc. from a person selling pot, but have never been offered harder drugs while buying a 6 pack at the market.

What the war on drugs definitely does not accomplish is stopping people from getting weed. When I was younger I had absolutely no problem getting it any day of the week. It was harder to get alcohol.

12. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    Kind of find this rather hard to believe. A reputable doctor offering pot for just anxiety or insomnia? This whole thread's got alot of bs floating around in it.
    There's other more widely acceptable medical drugs for that. I mean, come on, they've even got tv advertisements for this kind of problem.:rolleyes:

13. Spamcan

Spamcan Well-Known Member

#753 Spamcan, Mar 9, 2011
    Have you ever listened to the side effects in those ads? Namely sleep walking or sleep driving may occur?

14. #754 Mindfield, Mar 9, 2011
    Sorry, but that's not what'll happen. Addicts don't rob people because the drugs are illegal. They rob people because they're addicts and they need money to buy more. Legal or illegal doesn't even enter into it; they do it for the money to buy more. Making it legal won't make it free. It won't even necessarily make it cheap; it'd be taxed out the anus and back and bring it to rates comparable to current street value or a little below. Legalize it, commercialize it, and it'll do what every other commercial product does: Fetch whatever price the market will bear. All you'll be doing is legitimizing addicts and legalizing their dealers and suppliers -- only the government will be making the money rather than a network of murderous thugs.

I am against drugs of all types, but I do believe governments should legalize weed. It doesn't create the kind of dependence harder drugs do and its effects aren't nearly as damaging. Everything else, though, should be wiped out. Heroin, crack, coke, whatever -- that shit will mess you up very badly, very quickly, and it's all insanely addictive. The highs can make you a danger to yourself and others -- and the withdrawal symptoms will.

15. Leothwyn

Jun 25, 2010
    #755 Leothwyn, Mar 9, 2011
    I told him I was reluctant to get into any of the regular prescriptions. He had given me xanax before and I didn't like the way it made me feel. When the subject of marijuana came up he totally went off on what he thinks of it being illegal (basically the same opinion that I have - it's a damn waste of time and money). So, maybe that makes him not a reputable doctor in your opinion. Personally, I think he's a great doctor.
    On top of that, did I even say that he was a reputable doctor in my previous post? No. Unless you've been living under a rock, you must be aware that there are doctors making their livings just giving people marijuana prescriptions... for simple things like aches, insomnia, migraines. They may not be reputable, but they do exist. So, I don't get how you'd be so shocked that I got a prescription.

When I saw your response I felt tempted to scan my prescription and block my name out just to prove you wrong. But, I don't care enough about your opinion to make the effort. Go ahead and call me a liar all you want. And, if you think being a guinea pig for a big pharmaceutical corporation and trying out their latest chemical combination with all of the rectal bleeding, seizure, heart problems, or other possible side effects instead of a simple, natural thing (which actually does help me some)... then I could think of a few names to throw back at you. I think it's against the rules here, so I'll refrain. I bet you could guess a couple of them though.

16. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    #756 Coldar, Mar 9, 2011
    Ok, if this be true then I would be wary of said Dr prescribing exactly what the local corner drug deal will want you to try next.

Maybe I sounded too harsh quoting you but after reading some of the thread it just got mixed in as well.

Personally I would look for another Dr.:rolleyes: I'd be careful at the least. Dr's are not immune from drug addiction either.

(addiction: not referring to pot, btw all)

17. Leothwyn

Jun 25, 2010
    You can get vicodin and xanax from a dealer on the street too. Doesn't mean that they are no longer valid treatments. For a good doctor it's about what works - even if there's a ton of lies and propaganda floating around about that drug. For a dealer, it's all about what makes money. The two may supply some of the same things... but it's for different reasons. Personally, I'd be wary of a Dr. who won't even consider a safe treatment that may work quite well for some people just because he heard a bunch of BS scare tactics and 'just say no' cliches.

18. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    "Crops wanna come and snatch my crops"

Damn the man

19. vbxz47

vbxz47 Well-Known Member

May 28, 2009
    Ohio
    That's so effed up that I can't even begin tocomprehend how that even happens. Same with bath salts.

20. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    Safe treament vs the legality of it. Most Dr's won't do it because it's against the law at this time. I'm sure many Dr's would prescribe pot as in any other drug if it wasn't. Last I knew that US states could legalize it to an extent for serious medical purposes while federal government laws say other wise. Unless its changed since.
    Yea, well anyway just to clarify, I'm all for more natural ways of healing of/or relieving symptoms and believe pot does have its place. But what you've mentioned kind of falls into a shady sort of practice. Even with a card an all.