Legalization of Marijuana?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Giggity, Jul 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

Should Marijuana Be Legalized?

1. Yes

198 vote(s)
    59.6%
  2. No

134 vote(s)
    40.4%
  1. Giggity

Giggity Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Looking For Job
    USA
    The only quit anything commercial I see is the "Above The Influence" commercials with the arrow. And quite frankly some of their commercials make me laugh. Such as the one where the guy and girl are going around town, looking at magazines, and riding on the meri-go-round thing they usually have in little parks. I could do all that baked as hell and have alot more fun.

2. doodlejumper

doodlejumper Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Stuck in traffic
    I don't wanna say more, just, as much. Adults are the main audience so companies focus on them. At the same time they miss the younger audience which cuts profits. They need to get that extra profit in, so they do anything they can to get that money. That leads to the advertising.

3. doodlejumper

Jan 27, 2010
    Stuck in traffic
    I always see the ones where they show things like the inside of a cancerous lung. Makes me shudder.

4. Giggity

Apr 14, 2009
    Looking For Job
    USA
    #724 Giggity, Aug 31, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
    Ooo yea against tobacco industries. Yea well I support those cause tobacco kills you, but marijuana doesn't... So.. I think there would be no fighting cause to stop kids from smoking marijuana, besides mabye making you eat all the food your mom just bought and stocked up in the kitchen........ ;)

5. doodlejumper

Jan 27, 2010
    Stuck in traffic
    That's true. Didn't think about it that way.

6. Electric_Shaman

Electric_Shaman Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Okay but you do get that if weed were legal, there's a 99.999% chance it'd be age restricted same as tobacco and alcohol right?

7. doodlejumper

Jan 27, 2010
    Stuck in traffic
    When I say children, I mean 15-18. And when I say advertising, I mean like cowboys on posters advertising the product, or something of the sort. Not like pot-coated pacifiers. You have to remember that it's not like I'm an advertiser, I'm giving broad examples.

8. Electric_Shaman

Jul 22, 2009
    Yea I did kind of get that. I'm not sure what the regulations are like in the States, but in the UK, tobacco companies pretty much aren't allowed to advertise (I actually have no idea where I would find a cigarette advert anymore, in any form). I believe there might be some regulations on adverts for alcohol, but I'm not too sure on that.

But anyway, it won't have any great effect even if pot companies are allowed to advertise as freely as they please. Anti-drug messages are far too ingrained into people and it'll always be in the back of their minds. Sure, that doesn't apply to everyone, maybe not even half, but then there's the obstacle of obtaining the weed for someone underage.

9. doodlejumper

Jan 27, 2010
    Stuck in traffic
    Which is the same thing that is going on already with weed. Plus tobacco and alcohol.

10. Giggity

Apr 14, 2009
    Looking For Job
    USA
    Haha yeaa. Weed and tobacco are the easiest to get.. alcohol proves to be hard, but its possible. Lol

11. doodlejumper

Jan 27, 2010
    Stuck in traffic
    It's called your parent's fridge. ;)

12. Giggity

Apr 14, 2009
    Looking For Job
    USA

Not when your dad obsessivley marks the liquor bottles to see if any content was removed ;] not to mention the padlock you have to figure out before you can get into the cabinet. But adding a lil water to the bottle covers up your traces.. except for the watered-down taste you might get if you put to much in...

13. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    #733 Cilo, Aug 31, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
    I feel this is a contradiction. If it was legalized, it would be regulated and taxed, the same way prostitution in Nevada has become. When you buy it illegally, which people will continue to do regardless, is when it contributes to the negative outcomes you mentioned.

Speaking from a Cali perspective I think it would benefit our state. Financially we've been in a hole for awhile, (more so since Schwarzenegger took office) and this could positively change our debt/well-being on different levels.

1. The Mexican drug cartel is insane and has tons of connections throughout California. This would make a cut on gang involvement/hussling of marijuana, and mules crossing our border. As well as maybe affecting or saving the lives of many police and innocent bystanders in Mexico being murdered currently over drugs.

2. Criminalization of Marijuana here is ridiculous and contributes to low income individuals trying to make a dollar only to wind up in jail and therefore force us as tax payers to fork over taxes for these facilities. Prisons here are ridiculously impacted.

3. People with real health issues, and when I say real I mean Aids/Cancer, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome ect., have been fined, arrested for possession. And yes you can get a recommendation from a doctor to legal marijuana clinics now, but until this stupid stigma that marijuana is of the devil/evil what have you, these people are still dealing with the social aspect of their use on their personal lives. Also many can't afford healthcare and decided to grow it themselves, only to have it confiscated, and then criminalized for it because some nosey neighbor decides to be a whistleblower. It's in the paper all the time.

4. Going back to #1, less gang involvement means a cleaner future for your children. Understand that people want to smoke marijuana, they will smoke marijuana legal or not, but if you have a future where it is no longer illegal you will have a less percentage that your child will experiment one day with friends in high school on weed they bought from God knows who, that could be laced with God knows what. This isn't a huge hypothetical either. This happens all the time, like regular corporations that trim on resources to save money, drug cartels pad marijuana with crap to save on end costs. It's a business, with real business decisions.

14. Giggity

Apr 14, 2009
    Looking For Job
    USA
    You should be the official spokesperson for the legalization of marijuana.

15. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    SURE SOUNDS LIKE EVERY CORPORATION AND CONSUMER PRODUCT WE BUY INTO.

:\ explain the difference to me please.
    translation: you have some good points and i have no idea how to counter them. this disturbs my stereotypes and assumptions about marijuana, so i'm going to resort to personal attacks to reduce your authority.

16. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    My issue isn't even with the drug, I could care less about it. It's with the filth it has brought to our state, and this so called War on Drugs that our government continues to waste resources on.

It's been proven many times in history, people want and will use substances for whatever reason, even if it is illegal. Two examples I can think of off the top of my head are the Prohibition nonsense in the US in the early 1900's and the Opium Wars between China & Britain in the 1800's.

17. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I think he was being sincere... doesn't Giggity smoke weed?

18. Electric_Shaman

Jul 22, 2009
    Er no. At the moment, it's up to the dealer who they will sell to, and if they have standards about selling to minors. Alcohol and tobacco are 18+ or 21+ for the states, unless it is obtained through other means, in which case it goes back to the dealer idea that you need to find someone to supply you when you're underage.

To put it simply, minors can buy weed directly from a dealer.
    Minors cannot go to a shop and buy alcohol or tobacco

Therefore legalizing weed would make it less accessible to minors.

19. Giggity

Apr 14, 2009
    Looking For Job
    USA
    #739 Giggity, Sep 1, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
    Sorry to break it to you but I love marijuana.. im not attacking the person in any... Why would I want to counter them when I smoke marijuana...

Do not post until you have read more than 3 posts in this thread.

20. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Rabble rabble rabble.