Legalization of Marijuana?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Giggity, Jul 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

Should Marijuana Be Legalized?

1. Yes

198 vote(s)
    59.6%
  2. No

134 vote(s)
    40.4%
  1. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I don't think that's what I said... I questioned the benefits for healthy people, since that video seems to be specifically promoting cannabis as a medicine and not a recreational drug. If people actually need it, by all means, give it to them.

2. le'deuche123

le'deuche123 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Ron White Skit:

Doctor: Well do you have any symptoms, that cannabis may help allieviate?

Ron: Yeah!....I get really bummed out when I don't have any weed.

3. NomaD

NomaD Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    California
    are you mentally retarded?

4. AaronAMV

AaronAMV Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    WHO KNOWS
    nah, just ignorant. ;)

5. acidshaman

acidshaman Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
  6. edge3112

edge3112 Active Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Yeah. Uh, hmmm... what? Sorry. I forgot the question...

Oh yeh! Marijuana. Pot should/probably will be legalized at some point. The main reason for the illegalities is that so many strains of varying quality can be bred in a short space of time, meaning taxing the buds would have to be on a plant by plant basis, which would waste too much time.

Until a system of trust like that seen in certain parts of Canada or Amsterdam can be established, then there's little hope for legalization, but without vocalized support that'll never ever come to a head.

I've spoken to my hospital consultant about my smoking habits quite a bit. I've had rheumatoid arthritis for 15 years and, illegal or not, the bottom line is that smoking a spliff can settle my disease-related discomfort and anxieties in a way that no perscription meds can. Ive smoked pot for a good few years too and I've had no psychosis or desire to move onto mistreating perscription drugs or harder drugs. Some people do though, and until we know more about the drug and what it can do for modern science, and what modern science can do to curb the negative effects of the drug.

Those against legalization do have their points that make sense, but they get awfully over-hyped up about it in my opinion. At the end of the day, it's just a plant. Not a drug. To me, a drug is something that has been engineered. They also forget that alcohol and tobacco kill more people per year than marijuana. Actually, I think more people stumble upon a green tunic in the attic of their hyrule holiday home and embark on a quest to save a princess every year than die from smoking marijuana. I keep saying smoking, but consumed should be the right word. Brownies and cookies are good too you know.

(NB: If my comments have annoyed you, please remember I don't believe I'm 100% right, I've just expressed an opinion and I'm totally open to discussion on it.)

7. dogmeat

dogmeat Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Information Security Engineer
    San Francisco, CA
    Down 1 medical grade brownie and watch the movie El Topo.

Don't hate me when you end up in a mental institution.

8. Will090

Will090 Well-Known Member

Honestly, if someone wants to get some marijuana, the law isn't stopping them. I could probably find a drug dealer in my area in half an hour or less. Almost nobody who traffics or uses illegal drugs gets caught or arrested. There is no way for the government to stop it (and no real need to, they just want power) so they might as well legalize it and get a few tax dollars from it

9. acidshaman

acidshaman Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    We need to get Marijuana into liscenced retailers and out of the hands of coke dealers... I went through high school and thats how everyone got into coke... because coke = cash

10. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    I wish I lived in your area. I think if I went looking for weed around here I'd get the offer of either coke or nothing.

11. The Game Reaper

The Game Reaper Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    The Emerald Isle
    I wouldn't be surprised if le deuche grows his own pot in that garden centre of his and tries to pass it off as some sort of exotic Japanese plant.

I jest, I jest.

12. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    ...f***! I f***ing knew it! That f***ing bonsai tree!

13. le'deuche123

Feb 5, 2009
  14. Kyoshin

Kyoshin Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    Student
    Belgium, Maasmechelen
    Maastricht is 20 minuts from my house.. Damn I'm so lucky ^^

15. bt182

bt182 Member

Oct 4, 2009
    lucky me having a dealer about 5 houses down my street

16. le'deuche123

Feb 5, 2009
    Lucky me....dealers are obsolete;)

17. misfitskater6

misfitskater6 Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    I think the biggest issue for legalizing marijuana is how to enforce a DUI, as there's not really a way to do a breathalyzer or something like that. It's kind of like alcohol though, a little bit isn't going to impair your driving, but a lot could. And if there's no way to quantitatively compare how high a person is, that's going to be a problem when it comes to preventing people from driving that are too high.

And it wouldn't be good to have a law that penalizes someone the same if they took just one hit, or if they were higher than a kite. If the penalty were too minimal, then there wouldn't be enough incentive to keep people from blowing their minds and driving. If the penalty was incredibly steep no matter how much you smoked, people could potentially get pulled over/arrested for next to nothing.

I'm all for legalization, but I think that this particular aspect would have to be carefully dealt with first.

18. Lombardo

Lombardo Well-Known Member

It wouldn't be that hard for cops to carry drug tests.

19. NomaD

NomaD Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    California
    trust me, politicians pretty much have everything worked out

20. The Game Reaper

The Game Reaper Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    The Emerald Isle
    Except how to run the country.